PDA

View Full Version : My step-dad is worried I might get addicted to Citalopram!

Sparkle1984
22-10-12, 18:34
I've been on citalopram 10mg for just over 10 weeks now. Next week it's time for my first review with the doctor.

I'm very close to my step-dad, in fact I find it easier to talk to him about my anxiety/emotional problems than my mum. I feel a lot better now than I did 3 months ago, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to come off cit as I still get anxious from time to time (although it's nowhere near as bad as it was before).

My step-dad has been very supportive of me throughout this, in fact he came with me to the doctor's as I was so scared. I think he was initially a bit concerned about me starting these tablets, but once I started to get better after a few days, he was really pleased for me and he was glad I had the courage to seek help.

Last night we were talking about my upcoming review next week. My step-dad asked me what I was going to say to the doctor at the review. So I said that I would think about it and write down the ways in which I've improved, and what problems I still had. I think my step-dad is hoping I'll come off the tablets soon, but I said that I don't feel quite ready to stop them yet, seeing as I still get anxious sometimes, and because I'm still working through my CBT and self-help.

He then said he hopes that I won't become dependent on cit, and that I would feel that I can't cope with life without them. He also said he hopes I won't be on them for the rest of my life. I explained that I have no intention of taking them for the rest of my life, and that's exactly why I'm doing CBT so that I'll be able to cope by myself. I also explained that cit is very safe and that I know several people on this forum who have been on them for years. He then said that he doesn't want me to end up like that, and if I did become dependent on cit, I would effectively be "a drug addict, a junkie". At this point, I couldn't help but burst out laughing! :roflmao:I thought the phrase "drug addict" only referred to people who are addicted to illegal drugs, not people who take prescription medication for a diagnosed illness!

I've thought about it some more since then, and the drug addict/junkie comment is scaring and upsetting me. :weep: I find it insulting really, although I'm sure he didn't mean it to upset me. He grew up in a different era when no-one talked about psychological illnesses. Many people take medication for all kinds of physical illness and they don't get called junkies, so why do people with anxiety/depression have to face this sort of stigma?

I don't want to be scared into coming off cit early and then end up facing a relapse. I'll do what the doctor says though - if she thinks I'm ready to start coming off them, then I will. But if the doctor says I should stay on them for longer, I don't want my step-dad to get upset about it.

I don't understand why it's worrying him so much - I've never been addicted to any drugs in my entire life so why should it happen now?

Can anyone reassure me? I'd like something to show to my step-dad to reassure him that cit isn't addictive and that it can't harm people. Has anyone who's taken it for a long time ever come to any kind of harm?

radoel
22-10-12, 22:41
I would look at it this way - if you were diabetic and needed insulin would you be so worried??
Only you can say whether you are ready to come off them or not - I am back on cit for the 3rd time now and am staying on them permanently now as its obvious I need them to live life.
I believe that there is a chemical imbalance and the cit remedies this so thats fine by me

little scientist
22-10-12, 22:48
Like radoel says if you need them you need then. I too am on more than my first round on citalopram (having previously been on fluoxetine before that) and at the moment, it is for the foreseeable future. The only time a change might be considered is if I decide I want children and my doctor wants me to change medication. I too believe I have a natural chemical imbalance.

Initially I too was concerned about being addicted, but my GP was quick to reassure me that citalopram is not an addictive medicine in the sense that an illegal drug could be :)

Iggy131313
28-10-12, 12:13
Sparkle, ssris ARE addictive in that they can cause a terrible withdrawal, after coresponding with several experts in this field and going myself through a protracted w/d that I would never wish on anyone, the recommended time is under a year.

Please dont stay on the pills for more than 1 year it increases massivly the risk of a very bad w/d.

remember I was only on cit for 2.5 years, but I did quit cold turkey and thats the other thing that should be avoided.

When the time comes for you to come off, ask for the liquid and take it slow, do not follow your drs advice of spolitting it in a half for a week and then stopping, thats what I idd and its called COLD TURKEY and the biggest regret of my life.

You know that I hate these tablets because of what they have done to me and I feel that they should be a last resort, but 10mg is a low dose and you have not been on very long, if your not ready to stop, just keep it under a year. xx

JaneC
28-10-12, 12:52
Sparkle, standard advice seems to be that a person should take an SSRI for at least 6 months, so I'd be surprised if your doc were to suggest coming off them at this point.

I know what you mean about the generational thing, I think my mum believes these kind of pills are evil! SSRIs are NOT addictive in the way street drugs are. For example, you won't wake up craving your next "hit", even if you are having withdrawal (the correct term is discontinuation) problems. I've been there with a tricyclic AD after bad advice from my doctor. Taken slowly, it was fine.

If you google ssris and addiction, you should be able to find plenty of articles you could print out and show to your stepdad to reassure him. Good luck in educating him!

Iggy, do you have some evidence for your don't take an SSRI for more than a year claim? I've never heard that one before and fear you risk causing a lot of people unnecessary anxiety with this.

dogsandtea
28-10-12, 15:44
Iggy, do you have some evidence for your don't take an SSRI for more than a year claim? I've never heard that one before and fear you risk causing a lot of people unnecessary anxiety with this.

Yeah I would like to see some evidence too..

Most people take them for over a year, or many years. It takes a few months for most people to adjust to anti depressants, so a year is a short while to be on them for most people.

I think this kind of post with no evidence definitely does cause people anxiety, on a panic forum!

little scientist
28-10-12, 19:36
SSRIs are NOT addictive in the way street drugs are. For example, you won't wake up craving your next "hit", even if you are having withdrawal (the correct term is discontinuation) problems.

That's what is was trying to say! You just found a better way of phrasing it :)

Sparkle1984
28-10-12, 23:56
Thanks for your advice everyone. :) I've spoken to my step-dad again, and he doesn't seem quite so concerned any more. I've said that I'll just see what the doctor suggests. I'm writing out a list of ways in which I feel I've improved over the last few weeks, so I can mention these when I see the doctor.

diggory
29-10-12, 20:04
Only think about coming off when you are better. And give them time to work ! Remember where you have come from, and where you are now. I don't know your specific circumstances but ten weeks seems to be a very short period of time to sort all the issues out given the time they take to kick in. I stabilized on 40mil a day ( over a year) and would not recommend getting off as I have done (eight weeks down the line cit' free). Only you can make that decision in consultation with your doc'. Have a look at 'Sunbathing in the Rain' by Gwyneth Lewis, she makes some salient points with... humor ! Take your time, don't rush into any decisions..... be mindful !!!