PDA

View Full Version : Rabies Scare

BaileyBoodle
22-10-12, 19:59
I haven't been on this forum for a few years now but all of a sudden I am feeling like I need some help again. Last Thursday, I was licked by a street dog in Belgium. The lick just touched by lips (not in my mouth at all and I have no open wounds around my mouth). Within minutes I panicked and washed my face with anti-bacterial wipes then with soap about 5 mins later. I spoke to my doc and NHS Direct who don't think I am at risk and therefore haven't prescribed any of the vaccines but I cannot convince myself that things will be OK. The dog didn't appear Rabid but I cannot stop thinking about dying and cannot sleep / eat for the fear. All the websites say a lick on the mucus membrane can transmit the disease; they also say Belgium is Rabies free - but is anywhere really?

Any advice?

Thanks

Annie0904
22-10-12, 20:17
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I am quite sure that Belgium is a rabies free country the same as UK. My daughter was bitten on her back by a monkey in East Asia and went to the doctor when she came home and they ordered vaccines to be sent for her that day. The NHS have a list of countries affected and they would take action straight away if they thought you were at risk. I think even if it was a country at risk then a lick would not be high risk.

panickyme
22-10-12, 21:53
I am not sure about this but I think it has to break your skin, and I don't think it was rabid being so friendly though, it just licked you, not bit you. I think you are good, just that stinkin thinkin we do. Hope this helps!:)

BaileyBoodle
23-10-12, 06:50
Thanks both of you. I had a slightly better night's sleep last night - probably exhaustion from all the worrying. Really need to get myself focused on work or something otherwise I will go mad!!!

justina
23-10-12, 07:57
I don't think Belgian street dogs have rabies. If they did, it would soon be noticed, I mean they would get ill, show a lot of symptoms, become aggressive etc, and I think the Belgian authoritites would kill the dogs to get rid of the risk. Outside western Europe probably the risk is bigger, but Belgium should be rather safe!