PDA

View Full Version : Worried about previous Solarium/sunbed use :(

SamanthaAU
23-10-12, 07:35
Hi everyone

Its been a while since I needed to post in here :( I had a small new mole cut out of my leg yesterday as a precaution (doc thinks it was ok but it was more for my peace of mind - it will still be checked etc)

Anyway, that has bought me back to my fear of melanoma/skin cancer because of the fact that I used a solarium around 10 times 10 years ago :( I wasn't aware of the risks then, if I had of there is no way I would have used them. It seems so unfair to me that something I was doing can put me at risk so badly and there is NOTHING I can do to reverse the damage I have already done :(

I am getting myself into such a state about it - apparently the risk of getting cancer is 87% higher if you used a sunbed before the age of 35 (I am 34 now) I don't know how I can keep coping.

Cheers
Sam

justina
23-10-12, 07:52
Are you sure that you interpreted that information right? I don't think 10 times increase your melanoma risk very much. Remember that there are people who did it like twice a week for years and years. A lot also depends on your skin type etc.

SamanthaAU
23-10-12, 09:52
Hi Justina

Thank you for your reply- as far as I could tell it didn't say any amount of times, it just said it did.

I am in Australia, so our sun exposure is quite high anyways :(

cherrydrops
23-10-12, 11:26
I totally understand what you are saying but there is nothing we can do about things that are done already.

10 times wont have increased your risk much at all so please try to not beat yourself up about it. Have you had a chat with your GP about this worry? If they are understanding it might be worth it just to get some tips on what to look out for or they may be able to offer reassurance xx

SamanthaAU
23-10-12, 11:30
Thank you for your kindness, I am not sure if I have chatted with my GP about it, though I do have annual skin checks at the skin cancer clinic and I have briefly mentioned to the doctor there that I have used them so she understands I am worried (though doesn't know I have HA).

Cheers
Sam

cherrydrops
23-10-12, 12:06
Ah that's good that they keep a check on you, I know it doesn't help ease the worry but you know they'll pick up on any changes.

Hope you are feeling a bit better x

SamanthaAU
23-10-12, 23:59
Hi Cherrydrops, no not really feeling better - but thats the story of our lives isn't it?

So depressing that I have already wasted 4 years of my life this way, and who knows how many years to come.