PDA

View Full Version : what meds are everybody on?

juju
09-08-06, 21:17
hi
i was just wondering what seems to be the most popular med for panic/anxiety? i am on 40mg propranolol 3 times a day(bad palps) also 40mg once a day of citalopram
some input would be nice
or call me nosy ha ha
thanks
juju

we are all stronger people after having this

nomorepanic
09-08-06, 21:49
None - gave them all up as they never stopped panic attacks and anxiety. Sorry to be negative but I am being honest and realistic

To me meds are NOT the answer.

Nicola

Suzi26
09-08-06, 22:24
I had bad panic attacks to the extent of not being able to go out alone. The Doctor put me on propranalol and it didnt help so put me on seroxat which helped 100% i was a different person.. but the only prob is the additiction been on them for 10 years now and am trying citralopram to stop all together. Hope that helps it willget better. xx

vernon
09-08-06, 23:58
Hi ju. been on many types of meds over the years but on Cipralex now for about 12 months they seem to help. take care, Vernon

manders
10-08-06, 00:35
Hi

I have been on various different meds, most recently Mirtazapine at night and Venlafaxine in the morning, although I am currently being weaned off the Venlafaxine as my psychiatrist wants to try me on Lithium.

chop
10-08-06, 04:37
I agree with nomorepanic, meds are not always the answer.

I am mainly taking meds now to help the depression that definately is in the family and I think brain chemicals wrong but CBT and the way we think is a MAIN thing.

I am on a combo of meds that help my depression and anxiety.

Abilify, Avanza, Lexapro, Fish oil, Vitamins, good diet and sleep.
Many names will be different there. Valium when needed also. (the worst of them all). I have been diagnosed with a few things that I need the meds for but it can be beaten without them often.

I agree though that you can overcome anxiety without meds as I did before and I came crashing down due to a few things and started on them again but I am complex with the problems and everyone different.

You can overcome anxiety without medication but the meds can help you learn coping skills. You need to learn them and practice them to get better though. Meds are temporary mostly.

Hope that all makes sense. I am on meds but you can beat it without.

Paul

Learning to under react

ren
10-08-06, 13:52
I'm on 225mg of effexor. 75mg in the morning and 150mg in the evening. I was on valium until last tuesday. I'm now also taking atarax (25mg twice a day), which I was given a year ago but only used a few of. I'm seeing my shrink tomorrow so I'm hoping she'll be able to give me something else to help with this panic. There's no magic pill but there are pills that can give you a bit of a break from it (I hope!)

polly daydream
10-08-06, 15:04
Hi, I am on Citalopram 15mg going up to 20mg soon and propranolol when needed.

Take care,

Polly

suzanne
10-08-06, 16:12
Hi

I have been taking cipromol for 5 years which helped, then came off and tried myself only lasted 2 months then it came back, so im back on them now.

I do agree if you can do it without then have a go, if not just keep trying until you find the right one that suits you.

Take care
suzanne

s shaw

sarah1984
10-08-06, 17:04
Hi! I was on seroxat 50 mg for seven years, since I was 14. Am now on a new anti-depressant that is also being licensed for treating anxiety-Cymbalta or duloxetine. Have been on Propanalol-apparently they're very good for controlling the physical symptoms of panic and can help treat panic attacks, and have also taken buspirone, which is a non-addictive alternative to benzos. Take the odd diazepam 5mg on really bad days, but only take one/two month cos I don't want to get addicted.

juju
10-08-06, 21:51
thanks for that, it seems we are all on acocktail of meds ha ha
i have another question- i have just been for new pack of citalopram from chemists, and its a different manufacturer again, do you think the ingredients would be diff or anything added, or have they got to be the same, its prob just me but i worry that they will make me feel different and then my anxiety rises, i mean we dont worry about taking different makes of paracetamol do we? its weird
any answers?
thanx in advance

nomorepanic
10-08-06, 21:53
Julie

You will be fine - they are basically all the same thing just branded differently.

You pay more for some names in a chemist than other but just remember that all meds undergo the same stringent tests etc so they will be the same just re-packaged.

Nicola

honeybee3939
10-08-06, 21:58
HI Ju,

Im on Citalopram too and been taking them on and off for many years, i have had different brands of Citalopram but they are all the same just branded differantley like Nic says.

Love

Andrea
xxx

juju
10-08-06, 22:02
oh thanks- i can sleep tonight
no joke

Mystie
15-08-06, 23:55
To sum it up? Medication has given me my life back. After suffering with severe anxiety/panic attacks, depression(on and off) and health anxiety.
For most of my life I couldn't do anything but worry about my symptoms and everything I felt in my body, which were very strange things and many symptoms. I had been to many doctors, can't even count them all, therapy...etc...I was VERY stubborn about not taking meds, too afraid and didn't want to even try any, until my life became a nightmare! I finally decided that anything that might help was worth a shot to me and I gave in. To my surprise, Meds after only a few weeks gave me my life back! I now go shopping, out with friends, I smile a lot and laugh more than ever before! I no longer sit in the house hiding from the world, and worrying myself sick.
I know for some it may not be the answer but for me it is. I believe in quality of life and I had no quality without the meds. Also most people with this disorder have a chemical imbalance in the brain that only meds can balance and level off to normal. So I feel that if people take meds for all other illnesses, such as diabetes and others WHY not for this? This is an illness and for me it was debiletating. I was also afraid of side effects but that isn't a problem, they started me on very low dose and I still am compared to some. I'm just so thankful and happy to be ALIVE again! I take 1 50mg of Zoloft a day and .5(half) a Klonopin, 3 times a day as needed, but most days I only take 2 as needed or even just 1!
Thanks for listening.

Mystie

nicjay
16-08-06, 00:08
hi Juju

Im on citalopram which quite a few other members also seem to be on.

Nicola
xxx

Insomniac
19-08-06, 20:58
Hi juju

I'm on 20mg seroxat a day. I also have diazepam for emergencies! I was taking 10mg Seroxat but had bad relapse and Doc increased the dose this week.

Glad you started this thread cos I was wondering about seroxat. Good to hear at least ONE nice thing about it (Suzi26). I'd rather do it without meds but I don't mind taking them if I can have my life back.

Lisa.:)

Is there light at the end of the tunnel or is that an oncoming train?

jueh1971
19-08-06, 21:50
Not on any meds now, decided to try and overcme panic attacks and severehealth anxiety that ive had for 20 years without medication, its not easy but im getting there slowly.
Have been on Seroxat before and it worked wonders for me, no side effects and no withdrawal symptoms.
Sometimes i wonder why the heck i havent gone back on it!!!

Julie

jo-jo
19-08-06, 21:53
Hi there
Just started back on Prozac (fluoxetine). They were great for me last time so fingers crossed I'll get the same effect again.
Good luck!
Jo x

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

Clare_63
20-08-06, 08:57
Hi Everyone

I'm not currently on any regular meds - came off of Efexor/Venlafaxine about 9 months ago and so far so good (depression/anxiety). I had been prescribed other meds over the years but I found Efexor to be best suited for me. I must admit I ALWAYS carry Oxazepam 10mg (my safety net) in my purse 'just in case' but I know only to take it when things are really bad. Although the depression has gone the anxiety (and now agorophobia/monophobia) remains and I actually only take a 1/4 of a pill (2.5mg) when I need to so I know I probably dont really need them anymore and its just the thought of 'taking' something that makes me do it.

Take care

Clare :)

Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your mind off your goals.

melvyn
20-08-06, 15:25
Hi all I am on paroxatine and have been for the last seven years they have done wonders for me over the years. I must say though that initially they take some getting used to, they did make me feel a whole lot worse before I started to feel the benefit from them as initialy one of the side effects of the tablets is increased anxiety . This does wear of after several weeks and if you can stick with them you should start to feel the benefits. I am hoping to come off medication soon and try to cope with other methods (cbt or hypnosys).[:o)]

net
20-08-06, 18:17
i'm taking fluoxetine as all the others seemed to make me feel worse, i have m.e so was taking coproxamol which i got addicted to coming off them made panci attacks severe and agorophobia got bad again then the ocd got worse, am starting to get over all that and each day is a step forward. been told i have a chemical inbalance in my body which causes depression and fluoxetine restores that and thats why the other pills made me worse

netty

don't walk in front, i may not follow. don't walk behind, i may not lead
just walk beside me.

IanB
20-08-06, 19:12
Hi Juju

I am currently on 3 X 70mg of Gamanil (the highest dosage you can take) a day (2 at night and 1 in the morning). The doctor told me to take the 3 of them at night, but I found that I cope better when I take one in the morning. One of the side effects is that it makes me sweat a lot.

I am also taking 7.5mg of Zopiclone to help me sleep. Trouble is that it knocks me out for the first hour, but after that I'm wake every hour. I never get a full (6 hours) sleep. Anyone know of something else I can ask the doctor for?

Ian

"today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well"

juju
22-08-06, 20:57
hi ian
never heard of your meds sorry, are they for anxiety?
you could try asking your doc for some propranolol, its a beta blocker which relaxes everything, heart wobblies/shaking etc, just tell him you have palps and ask for them, they really control my trembling bod.
julie