PDA

View Full Version : propranolol

kim
06-06-04, 14:32
hello there
just wondering about this med!im on 80mg of this a day for my anxiety,is it ok to stop taking straight away or do i have to reduce gradually?

twister
06-06-04, 23:06
Hi

You should always see your doctor before stopping any drugs....

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

sweetwater
07-06-04, 09:44
kim- 80mg/daily is ok and acceptable for propranolol...can be on much higher doses that that...only contraindicated if you have asthma or other obstructive airways disease...expect some dizziness and take it slow when you go from lying/sitting to standing...take care all.

sweetwater
07-06-04, 09:46
ps- you can stop propranolol straight away without the weaning process...it can be taken on a as needed basis, so you can stop it cold turkey and you shouldn't have any issues...but as twister said, let ur dr. know what's up.

Meg
07-06-04, 15:38
If you've been taking it for a while or have any issues with blood pressure it'd be best to wean down to 40 mg first as your body may have compensated and you may have transient dizziness so go easy. No sudden twists .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

HB
11-06-04, 16:28
did you find that this med made you feel like your heart was beating really strong and slow?

H

kim
11-06-04, 16:34
hi there HB
no it didnt do that to me

Meg
11-06-04, 16:46
but it can do H.

Its job is to slow and stady the heart rate so its only doing what it says on the tin..

If its lower than 50 - 55 bpm you might want to discuss reducing the dose as it might make exercising uncomfortable.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone