PDA

View Full Version : Statins and Grapefruit

j2
23-10-12, 14:54
I am a long time sufferer of HA and I have high cholesterol. I take a statin for the high cholesterol at night before bed. There is a warning against eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice. I am traveling for a conference and I accidentally ate a couple small pieces of grapefruit this morning about 8 hours after taking my statin. From my googling it sounds like it is only a problem if drink a full glass of juice with my pill which I didn't. It has been a couple of hours since at the grapefruit and I think I feel fine but my HA is screaming at me right now. I tried to call my Dr. but because I am traveling and in a different timezone, his office is not open. I will call when it is but I am wondering if anyone else has been in this boat? I know you guys are not doctors but I have no perspective on this and I am freaking out. If any of you know the symptoms of problems that would be great. I am afraid to google anymore so just your thoughts would be great.

Annie0904
23-10-12, 14:57
I don't think a few pieces will harm you. my husband has eaten grapefruit before he had realised he wasn't supposed to. I am sure you will fine :) x

j2
23-10-12, 14:59
Annie, you are a God send. I keep telling myself that few pieces won't harm me but HA is not a good life companion.:)

Annie0904
23-10-12, 15:00
Which statin doe you take?

j2
23-10-12, 15:01
I take zocor which is simvastatin.

Annie0904
23-10-12, 15:03
The only one you would have to avoid grapefruit is simvastatin but you would have to drink a full glass of grapefruit juice and even then it only may increase any side affects.

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

so a few pieces won't harm you at all :)

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

I have to tell my husband what he should and shouldn't eat as he just has what he wants and doesn't look at side effects and he has never suffered any problems.

Magic
23-10-12, 15:04
Yes, Same here, I am on simvistatin, I only did it once, I was ok. was an error
won't be doing it again though, just in case.:)

j2
23-10-12, 15:05
I will just keep telling myself that I will be OK. I will still call my doc but I know that I am probably over reacting right now since I am in a high anxiety state due to being stuck on an airplane for 7 hours yesterday. That much flying is not good for my claustrophobia.

nomorepanic
23-10-12, 15:09
The only one you would have to avoid grapefruit is simvastatin but you would have to drink a full glass of grapefruit juice and even then it only may increase any side affects.

I am on atorvastatin and have to avoid it as well

j2
23-10-12, 15:14
Does anyone know what the side effects are that could be increased? As far as I know I don't have any side effects. Too afraid to google.

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

I too had read that there are a few other statins that should be weary of grapefruit.

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

I just can't say it enough, I am so thankful for this site.

nomorepanic
23-10-12, 15:36
I found this for you:

Avoid drinking grapefruit juice if you are taking simvastatin. Grapefruit juice reduces the breakdown by the liver of simvastatin, which raises the level of simvastatin in the blood and makes you more likely to get side effects.

That was talking about drinking a glass a day though not small bits like you have

Annie0904
23-10-12, 15:42
I am on atorvastatin and have to avoid it as well

I just read that an occasional small drink of grapefruit is fine with atorvatatin.
My hubby is on all sorts of heart meds but never reads the leaflets so I have to try and keep him in check lol

nomorepanic
23-10-12, 16:19
I avoid it - best to be safe. I am probably on the same medication as your hubbie lol