PDA

View Full Version : 2x months on med opinions needed :-)

mouldy001
23-10-12, 22:44
Hi all, I am looking for some opinions and suggestions on my next step. I have an appointment booked for a week's time with my gp.

I have been on citalopram for near 8 weeks, 4 weeks on 10mg and 4 on 20mg, initially for depression but I have had anxiety issues on and off over past ten years but felt these were under control of late. Usually depression results from my increased anxiety but this started from a job loss.

However, 8 weeks in and I feel magnificant in terms of the depression alongside cbt. However, I have also noticed an increase in my anxiety levels (SA). I realise this can be a side effect of the med but needed ur opinions. I'll speak to the gp but in one mind I have heard great success with 30mg, but then I also think would this not just increase my levels of anxiety?? Or give it more time on the current dose then perhaps change med....

Your thoughts would be much appreciated, Dave

little scientist
24-10-12, 09:14
Like you Mouldy I have been on citalopram for near on 8 weeks now (just checked my diary!) and started on 10mg (for 2 weeks) then was increased to 20mg. I too am considering an increase to 30mg as at the moment I still feel quite low (my doc had suggested going up to 40 short term but I feel that's a bit extreme and want a more gradual increase). Hopefully, I speak to the GP friday to arrange my increase.

Now I am aware that for some people, citalopram can take that bit longer to work (have heard months in some cases), and previously for me I have noticed improvements very quickly however on this occasion its taking that bit longer to help me. It could be that it isn't the med for you if it is increasing your anxiety levels.

karenp
24-10-12, 10:03
I've been on Citalopram 3 times over the past 10 years and my anxiety didn't completley leave me for aboout 4 months each time, though it did improve each week. I'd wake up anxious but the more I took my meds the less anxiety I had each day until it finally left me altogether and I felt completely normal again. In the beginning I had terrigle hieghtened anxiety and even panic attacks so was given Zopiclone to help me sleep then Lorazepam when I came off that until I felt I could cope just taking my Citalopram. The first 2 times I was on 20mg's to get well but had to go up to 40mg's last time but as soon as I did, I was better within 2 weeks, good luck peeps xxx

little scientist
24-10-12, 10:30
Karen, how did you find the increase? Did you get many side effects? Thats my main concern at the moment!

lauz_lea
24-10-12, 22:24
Hi all, I've been on cit since the Jubilee week (was that May or June, can't remember). I started with 10mg cit and 80mg propanolol and went up to 20mg cit after about 8 weeks, and although it's taken it's time and been a bit of a bumpy ride (with many blips along the way), they're really doing their thing now. I've had a fair few periods where I thought I'd need to increase the cit, but I've been determined to give it more time. My last blip, just over 3 weeks ago, was the worst so far and lasted the longest and I was sure that the cit wasn't working, but I came out of it feeling the best I've done in a long time (about a year infact).

The ups and downs can be really unsettling, and usually lead me to consult Dr Google, which is always a bad idea for me, but when I'm caught up in a blip I'm convinced the meds aren't right for me and there's something more serious that the doctor has missed.

In a nutshell, I'm just trying to say hang in there, I know we're all in a rush to get better (just read some of my older posts), but for some of us it's a longer process that for others and you really don't want to go higher in dose than you have to. For some people it takes a few weeks, for others it may be longer. It would have been a big shock to my system if I'd magically felt better overnight, but the gradual easing of syptoms has meant that each day see's some kind of improvement.

Take care and try to stay patient xxx

Flossie11
25-10-12, 03:08
I'm almost to 6 weeks. I noticed a big difference in anxiety around 2weeks in, though the first 10 days were a roller coaster of heightened anxiety and general awfulness.
Had an off week around 4 weeks, and now feeling better than before that blip.
I think it's wise to give the higher dose more time if you can.. Sometimes it takes awhile.

mouldy001
25-10-12, 09:27
I certainly know what u mean about the blips and thinking the meds are not working. Then next day or two things r better again lol