PDA

View Full Version : 20 year old male, bad HA, at my ends with it.

CJMoore
24-10-12, 02:17
Hi there,
Let me first introduce myself as Chris :). I am a 20 year old, Biomedical Science student studying in Bristol, UK. I'm here today to hopefully get a few things off my chest and be able to talk to people about issues I have and hopefully some of you will be able to relate and give me advice on how you cope.
For the past 9 years/10 years I have been suffering with anxiety and panic which within the past 12 months has severely began to affect my life. My anxiety is present in the form of heart arrythmia, palpitations, and localised mild chest pains, added to the obvious mental symptons such as being a Hypercondriac.
The symptons are never constant but seem to only occur when my mind isn't distracted by something and I am on my own, which is why I'm here today. I have recently gone through a very bad break up with a girlfriend and as a result I have lost the on person to me who has reassured me on countless times that I'm going to be okay. I am a very fit and healthy individual who has been in the AirForce. I've had numerous medicals and fitness tests yet still I sit here at 2am and worry that this tiny discomfort near my left breast is an underlying heart problem that is going to mean I will die. I can't get it out of my head I fixate on it. The thing is, with my studies I am extremely familiar and have good knowledge on most heart conditions and the symptons I feel are similar. However, I know the symptons don't lead to what my anxiety is telling me as I wouldn't be able to run 3/4 miles a day, type this, and live life aws I do, if I was a having a heart attack or if my heart tissue was slowly dying.
What do I do? I really am struggling to cope at the moment and my anxiety is taking over every thought I have. Nothing I do or say to myself makes it go, it's just there. Niggling. I wake up and worry it's going to come on, then the worry causes it to start. I go out with my friends and worry it's going to start, then it does.
I just hope to God someone on here can give me something to read that will make me realise I am being silly?
Health Anxiety is the WORST condition on this Earth. I don't care what people say.
I hope for some replies,
Thank You,
Chris.

panickyme
24-10-12, 03:26
Awww Chris, I to suffer from HA, and my issues are usually concentrated on my heart also, except you just get mild pain, I get massive. I know it stinks because all we do is focus on it. It's scary and it takes over our lives. You are so young, and healthy. You have had check ups, I think you are good shape. It really is the way we think. You came to the right place though, just spend some time, and read, read that you are not along in this battle with HA, and maybe that will help you. You have such a nice long life ahead of you, you will live to 105. Sorry I don't have a lot of advice to give you right now, do to the fact I haven't figured out yet. But they are all signs of anxiety, and we do create it, and your not alone my friend. :hugs:Deb

Itsallinmyhead416
24-10-12, 23:23
Hey Chris,

First let me just say that I know EXACTLY what your going through. I'm 25 yo and I'm currently serving in the AF as well. I know how difficult it can be going through every day wondering if there is something wrong with you, especially while being in the military because you don't want to seem weak. I've been dealing with my HA for almost 4 years now and I have my days. I've been in the AF for about 7 1/2 years now and it all started about 3 years ago when one of my good friends died and I went to his funeral which was full military honors. From that day forward I develop HA. My biggest fear is with my heart. I've experienced everything, palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath etc. One thing I've come to realize is I'm still here. Like you, I'm a very healthy and active person. I workout at least 5 days a week and I'm able to run 3 miles without any serious difficulty. It's just our minds over-thinking everything. If you ever need to talk or share experiences you can always PM me. Take it easy!

Molly Cherry
25-10-12, 00:56
Hi Chris.

I just want you to know first of all that you are not alone. I know and so do so many others - some of them here - what you are going through because we have all or are going through it. ( So corny :) )

The best advice I can give you is some advice that was given to me. Think about your symptoms - really think about them! ( I know, right ) :) NOW .. think - OH MY GOD THIS IS THE LONGEST HEART ATTACK IN HISTORY - I HAVE HAD THESE SYMPTOMS FOR DAYS NOW ! ... You are most likely not having a heart attack. Try and talk to your rational thinking. Do meditation. Focus on parts of your body that you can't feel. Read books about anxiety sufferers, google anxiety sufferers, bore your brain silly with reading about symptomns, convince yourself that you are a better doctor than your doctor and then BREATHE!

This is the thing that got me through though. Think of yourself when you are old and think of how you may feel when you look back and you weren't ill. :)

Good luck Chris and if you have any questions feel free to ask them.