PDA

View Full Version : Help with getting my mind into a better place

Northern_light
24-10-12, 08:39
Hi All
I really need to fight these negative thoughts, I try to think positive but struggle to do this before something bad pops in. I'm 6th day into Fluoxetine, having ups and downs but could do with any tips to help keep positive thoughts in my head.

I have not done any form of cbt so any suggestions welcome!

Thanks for listening

Annie0904
24-10-12, 10:01
I think cbt is very helpful, it makes you think more positively.

panickygirl
24-10-12, 11:03
CBT is good because it helps you recognise what's real and what is not. Just because you feel something, i.e. fear or panic, doesn't mean that you have a reason to feel it. It helps you identify what triggers you and then realise the distortion in your thinking that gets you to the anxious place. I find it helpful but I haven't been doing it long so still struggling occasionally.

MRS STRESS ED
24-10-12, 11:07
CBT is good because it helps you recognise what's real and what is not. Just because you feel something, i.e. fear or panic, doesn't mean that you have a reason to feel it. It helps you identify what triggers you and then realise the distortion in your thinking that gets you to the anxious place. I find it helpful but I haven't been doing it long so still struggling occasionally.

I TOTALLY AGREE IM HAVING CBT ITS REALLY HELPING ME ITS WORTH A TRY XXXXXXXXXXXXX:bighug1:

Sparkle1984
24-10-12, 13:06
Yes I find CBT really useful. There are several CBT websites online as well.

Annie0904
24-10-12, 13:07
CBT4Panic is a very good online one. I am using this and it is helping me.

Harley
24-10-12, 13:50
Hi, the trick is to learn NOT to fight the thoughts. You have to train you mind to accept them, no matter how horrible they are. It sounds simple, but believe me it is easy. I suffered for many years with intrusive thoughts but I did over come it There are different types of therapy. I found Acceptance and Comittment therapy particular good for helping you to learn to just let the thoughts alone and pay them no attention. Mindfulness is also good for thoughts. It is horrible, I know, but you can teach yourself to ignore them until one day you realise they are not there any more and just dont bother you.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Sorry,, I meant it is NOT easy.

mandshere2000
24-10-12, 15:26
Hi
This really gets me down the thoughts that just seem to take over
then end up in a panic attack, and when you fight them every day it's just
awful to live with
Harley really interested in what you said about acceptance and commitment therapy,
I really think this way is probably the best way for me, instead of me fighting the thoughts
which I'm sure just gives them more strength to hang around if that makes sense:shrug:
Do you have any information etc on the above therapy
Northern thinking of you and hope you find a way
Manda

robinhall
24-10-12, 15:40
Hi Manda

Just wanted tp point out that CBT4PANIC which is the CBT course recommended here on nomorepanic covers all you will need to learn about panic and all kinds of acceptance stragtegies and skills - there is also a workbook on Mindfulness with the programme. You can try it free for 30 days. Check the link to the thread below.

Annie0904
24-10-12, 15:41
There is a thread on this site for CBT4Panic http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91696

robinhall
24-10-12, 15:50
HI Annie
Think we must have posted simultaneously :)