PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam advice needed

floyd
10-08-06, 06:39
Hi just going through another mild - moderate anxiety patch at the moment (last one nearly 2 years ago). I was trying the herbal route, St johns wort ect but time needed for that to work (going to ibiza in 2 weeks) so got some 2mg Diazepam off my doctor for short term relief. I know that 2mg is a low dosage but they really spaced me out on the first time of taking them. So like a softy I'm taking a 1/4 in the morning and 1/4 at tea time, the first 2 days were brill as it just took the edge off things, no spaceiness and no anxiety... BUT yesterday I had a little attack and again last night so
1. Do you build a tolerence up to them?
2. Do I need a full one for the proper effect?
3. If I take a full one at bed time will it still work enough the next day?
4. On taking a full one will the spacey feeling go as I get used to them?
5. At this low dosage is there any dependency?
6. How long can you take them for (at that dosage)?

Don't really want to ask my doctors these questions as he's never took them, he only prescribes them. Sorry to sound a divvy but any info would be most grateful. Cheers FLOYD

chop
10-08-06, 08:35
I have done a lot of research and asked many questions about this and will answer from the MANY pages i have researched and personal experience.

Some will dissagree with what I say but so be it.

1. Do you build a tolerence up to them?
Most people build tolerance up to them with regards to sleep and "high" fast but the anti anxiety rarely, if ever, builds up. Beleive which you wish but I have researched a lot. Some people may be on a lot longer and can tell you. I know everyone is different but I know people who have been on it for over 10 years and dose for anxiety has not changed.

2. Do I need a full one for the proper effect?
Everyone is different. Enough to reduce anxiety but not make you sleepy or high. Sleepy or high is too much for you.

3. If I take a full one at bed time will it still work enough the next day?
Diazepam or valium has probably the longest half life out of them all and this is good. Less adddiction potential. Once again, everyone is different but with a long half life, it will still work days later although you normally notice the benefit wear off within hours to a degree.

4. On taking a full one will the spacey feeling go as I get used to them?
Not sure.

5. At this low dosage is there any dependency?
If you need them everyday to reduce anxiety or take them everyday, there will be dependancy. It is debatable whether that is a bad thing or not. It is meant for short term though but many take it life long.

6. How long can you take them for (at that dosage)?
As long as you want. It is supposed to be short term but many find they cannot learn the right techniques to cope with anxiety and continue to use valium and are "hooked" because it makes them feeel normal. Good or bad thing? I cant answer.

Hope that helped.

More info if needed, just ask.

As I said, many will diffe3r from what I said but I have done much research.

I am an ex alcoholic and my usage has not gone up. I am not a junky for valium so that might give an indication.

P.S. 2mg is very small dose as you know.

P.P.S. You can find many pages that say the opposite about tolerance but I have not found this. You can also find pages to support my above statements and people for and against.

They can be addictive things to some people but diabetics are addicted to their meds too. People are addicted to smoking. I dont know whether bad or good but certainly can help in those hard times.

Best of all in learning coping techniques and changing thinking styles and an SSRI or SSNRI medication if something needed. Better than valium but you can do it alone most of the time too.

I am on valium in the hard times.
I am on meds but mostly for depression. Valium isnt the first or best choice but it can be a life saver too.

Paul

Learning to under react

vernon
10-08-06, 10:49
Hi Floyed, Paul has just about answered your questions, but I don’t really agree with taking them long term as they are very addictive and so many people find it very difficult to come off them. I would say only use vallium when really needed as this way you wont get used to them and have the full effect. cya and tc. Vernon

floyd
10-08-06, 14:54
Cheers everyone

Phill2
11-08-06, 04:20
I've been taking 10mg/day for 3 yrs now and they still work as well as ever. I don't have to increase the dose at all and therefore am not addicted. Dependancy is largely dependent upon the individual.
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Paddington
12-08-06, 18:29
hi there,i have been taking valium 4 19 years,and i am not addicted to them..how do i know???because over the last few months[since joining this wonderful forum]i have not needed them at all.gone from 60 a month to zero in one leap and no side effects at all!I started on 2 mg but had to take more than one for my severe anxiety attacks so this was put up to 5mg,i have ,in the passed ,taken 45mg in on go as i was hystericall,if i did that now i would be totally out of it,i may take one and this also has an effect ,so i am assuming that the dose is dependant on the needeg if you feel highly anxios have half of a whole one and you wonr feel so out of it as you need this ammounr to calm down,it is simply a muscle relaxant ,and is only addictive in a phsycological way.I know this is true as if i left them at home i would have a panic attack,i still carry them with me 'just in case'.I f you feel spacy you may only need a low dose at the moment ,and i hope you continue to need only a small ammount,BUT dont be afraid to take more if you need to,my dosage has been diffferent over the years depanding on hoe i was feeling.I also feel they get bad press,they work are eas to come off and have no side effects..tho maybe others have a different story???You will find the level that is right for you.Her if you need to ask any more questions ,love mary rose.xxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

floyd
13-08-06, 19:25
Thanks for that Mary Rose. I'll stick with them for now

Ma Larkin
14-08-06, 14:02
I've been on Diazepam for about 12 months now (2mg - 1 per day). I'm also on Prozac (been on that for about 3/4 months). Diazepam are addictive, but I think a lot of it is mind over matter. I haven't got any at the moment & I'm panicky because I feel that they are now my "comfort blanket" so to speak. I've put my repeat prescription in & I know as soon as I get it I'll feel better, even without taking a tablet. I will carry on taking them as long as my GP will prescribe them to me. If I am really anxious I will take 2 tablets. Its just seems to take the edge off the panic. I've had really bad panic attacks in the past, but haven't had anything major since taking Diazepam. I went on holiday last August & I did need them.

Hope this helps.

Les