PDA

View Full Version : Why is my anxiety worse in the morning?

Aaron_southcoast
24-10-12, 09:37
Hi everyone, hope your all well.

I need some advice. Ive noticed my anxiety is always worse in the morning - right from the time I wake up. Once im up and about properly and distracting myself with things like washing up then a nice bath im ok.

Any reasons for this or any tips on what I can do to improve things in any way?

Thanks for your help,

Aaron

debbsi
24-10-12, 09:41
I've just been thinking the exactly the same thing - thats just how I feel, and today as I dont have to go to work and I'm home alone I am struggling to find the motivation to do the study I should be doing.
I normally wake up ok and then when I actually come round and remember that I'm a worrying wreck - then the mood starts to sink

dabrucru
24-10-12, 09:43
me too, but only when im woken up by an alarm...

ricardo
24-10-12, 10:08
Aaron

I am the same and I think at least in my case it is a combination of two things. though asleep the adrenelin rush is still working overtime and the effects of the medication begins to wear off from the night before. but everyone is different. it may also be the subconscious working knowing you have things to do and automatically your nervous system gets even more stress and you become more anxious.

Annie0904
24-10-12, 10:21
I am the same on a morning and the longer I lay in bed the worse I get so I sit up as soon as I wake up, put the TV on to distract me and get up and make my self a drink and have a shower or bath, by then I am usually starting to feel a bit better.

Edward_1980
24-10-12, 10:23
Anxiety gets me in the morning too. I'm anxious and agitated the minute I wake up and have to get out of bed to take a shower and do some housework to distract myself.

panickygirl
24-10-12, 11:01
I feel exactly the same. It's not even immediate - today I got up, had a cup of tea and started working and then about an hour after I got really anxious. I find mid-morning between 10 till 12 is probably when mine is worst?

MRS STRESS ED
24-10-12, 11:03
im bad in the mornings as the day goes on its not as bad ,but then its starts again in the evening lol i carnt win xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Edward_1980
24-10-12, 11:07
I find that I am very bad upon waking. Once I get into cleaning I'm not really thinking about anxiety much, but once I have the house cleaned it creeps back up on me again. Evenings (5pm onwards) can be hard sometimes too, but I really try to keep myself distracted and not dwell on it.

MRS STRESS ED
24-10-12, 11:12
I find that I am very bad upon waking. Once I get into cleaning I'm not really thinking about anxiety much, but once I have the house cleaned it creeps back up on me again. Evenings (5pm onwards) can be hard sometimes too, but I really try to keep myself distracted and not dwell on it.

EDWARD THATS SOUNDS JUST LIKE ME YOU JUST GET OVER THE MORNING AND IT CREEPS BACK IN THE EVENING XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:hugs:

Edward_1980
24-10-12, 11:14
EDWARD THATS SOUNDS JUST LIKE ME YOU JUST GET OVER THE MORNING AND IT CREEPS BACK IN THE EVENING XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:hugs:

It's horrible, isn't it? Just when you think it is over, bang and it hits you again:hugs:

Tessar
24-10-12, 11:15
bloody mornings; i think we should do away with them! i find when i wake that it might be the dread of the day to come. so many of us seem to feel the same. i think distraction & getting stuck into things is the only way.

MRS STRESS ED
24-10-12, 11:20
It is Edward you no whats coming and I hate it always seems worse at night lol we just carnt win I have to laugh or I cry xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hugs:

Edward_1980
24-10-12, 11:32
It is Edward you no whats coming and I hate it always seems worse at night lol we just carnt win I have to laugh or I cry xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hugs:

I know exactly how you feel. It's bad enough when it happens out of the blue, but it's even worse when you know it's coming :hugs:

Annie0904
24-10-12, 11:42
It is even worse when the weather is miserable like today.

nicola1980
24-10-12, 12:13
I hate mornings, i used to dread going to bed as i knew what the mornings would bring, i used to spend the first hour of every morning retching down the kitchen sink it was awful but slowly with the help of meds their getting easier x x

Edward_1980
24-10-12, 12:26
I dread going to bed nearly every night because my anxiety can sometimes play up and I am just lying in bed wide awake listening to my heart pumping for hours on end.

flossie
24-10-12, 14:49
I have found this. It makes interesting reading and it may help you all understand what is going on with your bodies following the overnight fasting.
http://anxiousnomore.blogspot.co.uk/2007/08/more-about-morning-anxiety.html

Annie0904
24-10-12, 15:48
Thank you for that flossie :)

Munki
24-10-12, 16:39
I used to have this and found that I'd lie in bed dreading the day. This isn't the answer. The best advice I'd give is to set an alarm, get up when it goes off, make breakfast and do what you do. Maybe make plans if you're not working. Once you settle into this routine you'll find it helps.

I do find that lying in always makes me feel more anxious. I'm not sure if that applies to you but getting up earlier and cracking on with purpose helps. Maybe get into a fitness routine first thing to clear your mind :)

Tessar
24-10-12, 17:40
Monki: sound advice, even if sometimes i feel too "lazy" to follow it.
Flossie: i just looked at that link & it does make sense.

Munki
24-10-12, 17:53
Make yourself. It's hard at first but once you do you'll be so glad you did. Set your alarm for a reasonable time (I did for 7.45 but everyone varies) and I got up and went about my business. I'm a fitness fanatic anyway but I started running at that time. It didn't give me the time to be anxious. Try it. Maybe join a gym or start walking?

Aaron_southcoast
25-10-12, 10:56
Hi everyone, sorry for not replying yesterday. To say we had a bit of a drama is an understatement.

The battery on my laptop went - normal enough, however we had no electric or gas all day following an incident at our close neighbours house. I wont go into any more details but I had to pack off my partner and baby to the mother-in-laws house for the day (at least I got a break for the day though :winks: ).

Today was the first day in a while I wasnt so anxious this morning. Ive just been for a walk to town and back and the weather is a bit fresh so maybe thats done me some good.

I switched over today from 2 x 40mg propranalol a day to 80mg slow release - I doubt there will be much difference though will there?

Hope everyones well today.

juanna
29-09-13, 16:09
[FONT="Georgia"]:busted::smile: My mood is always worse in the morning & doesn't really improve until about four in the afternoon !! I have problems with anxiety and OCD & am hoping that one day I will be able to live a normal life !! Well I can but hope !! I don't take any medication other than a very small dose of HRT which did help for a while but now becoming more uncontrollable.