PDA

View Full Version : Focusing on things

Spikie
24-10-12, 09:56
Hi all

Wasn't really a forum for this, so appologies if it needs moving.

Does anyone have any top tips for focusing on something? As with many people here (I suspect), my mind tends to wander unless fully occupied. For the parts of my job that require thought I'm happy as Larry, but where it is more mundane data entry I am VERY prone to make mistakes, largely because my mind finds it can do the work while thinking of something else (well, actually it can't, but it thinks it can).

It's like... I used to walk home at school and it took half an hour. There were times when I seriously had no memory of crossing roads and such, yet I obviously HAD done that. It's like auto pilot...

So any way I can force my mind to focus and actually read what is in front of me (for example, yesterday I did a letter and saved it. An hour later the partner asked if I had included mention of something in my letter. I said no, then went to check the letter and somehow glossed over it and missed that I HAD in fact mentioned it, then handed in said letter... I swear my mind started with the thought 'that isn't in the letter' and then decided it thus didn't need to actually read it, so didn't.

Grrrrr is all I have to say!

PanchoGoz
24-10-12, 11:08
How about trying some mindfulness meditation?

Sparkle1984
24-10-12, 13:20
I've found mindfulness really good for this. There's lots of mindfulness mp3s and videos if you search on Google and YouTube.

Spikie
25-10-12, 16:15
I've found mindfulness really good for this. There's lots of mindfulness mp3s and videos if you search on Google and YouTube.

Sorry for the delayed response, I have had... issues but am now back in the world of the clear thinking.

I'll look into that, though if it's music you use to make you concentrate that the time it will be a no go as where I work headphones are a no-no :(

PanchoGoz
25-10-12, 18:28
Sorry for the delayed response, I have had... issues but am now back in the world of the clear thinking.

I'll look into that, though if it's music you use to make you concentrate that the time it will be a no go as where I work headphones are a no-no :(

You don't have to listen to them at work :) If you learn about mindfulness, you don't have to do anything while at work, you learn about it and keep the skills for whenever you want them if that makes sense.

Sparkle1984
25-10-12, 18:33
I usually listen to my mindfulness MP3s at night, just before I go to sleep. If you do this regularly, eventually you'll find that you'll be able to concentrate better at work, as your mind will use the mindfulness techniques automatically. It does take practice though.