PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure worry

Dazza
24-10-12, 12:24
I'm a 39 year old male. Weight 84kg Height 1.80m.

Sometimes my blood pressure is up... usually quite ok, either 120 / 80 or lower even sometimes, and sometimes 120s-130/80ish.

But sometimes, like the past few days, I've also been getting high readings..like 150/90, 140/90.... I had my blood pressure taken at work (I work in a school)... the nurse said it was high and I should be on meds... but my readings are only high sometimes...

I don't want to be on meds. What's other people's experience? How long should I monitor it for? I thought that you only need to go on meds if your numbers are ALWAYS high? I know hypertension runs in my family, but often my readings are normal...

Thanks.

Annie0904
24-10-12, 12:27
Maybe you were anxious getting the reading at work? I work in a school and the nurse told me my glucose levels were too low. I had it checked by my gp and it was fine. Maybe it is just the stress off working in school! :)

Dazza
24-10-12, 12:35
Maybe you were anxious getting the reading at work? I work in a school and the nurse told me my glucose levels were too low. I had it checked by my gp and it was fine. Maybe it is just the stress off working in school! :)

Yes, sometimes my work can be stressful when I get bad classes... hehe, actually I just left one school where I was working a couple of days a week because the kids were making me so stressed.

I'm now only working in my usual school, where I've worked for more than 3 years.. I've not felt particularly stressed by work, but some person stuff has been bugging me recently.

I am now worrying about hypertension.. I have a friend who is 26, he's been on meds for a few years as he has it... I spoke to him about my numbers, and he reckons I don't need meds... some docs says I do... some just say eat less salt etc. I simply don't wanna go on meds at my age or ever if I can avoid it. :)

Annie0904
24-10-12, 12:38
If it only goes up occasionally I wouldn't have thought you need to take meds. I would just keep a check on it and if it is getting high more than it was then it would be best to take meds but hopefully it will just be due to a stressful time and go down again.

Dazza
24-10-12, 12:53
yes. thanks for your replies. I'm hoping it's temporary. I know I must make some life style changes though, like when I just left the stressful school... need to sleep more, eat more healthily etc and WORRY LESS about life!. Hopefully that will be enough to bring it down.

Zee
24-10-12, 14:30
Mine read 150/90 on previous GP visit but he wasnt at all concerned as I was over anxious at the time.

hanshan
24-10-12, 14:30
Blood pressure can vary from day to day and during the day by large amounts, so never be worried by one abnormal reading (and by abnormal, I mean 160/100).

Although some people think it only fuels health anxiety, others recommend buying a home blood pressure monitor, sold in pharmacies and electronics stores. I have one and have found it reduces my health anxiety.

If your baseline blood pressure is over 140/90 for several weeks, you should consult your doctor. Diet, exercise, and weight control are the first options. After that, there are many blood pressure medications that can be taken.

Dazza
24-10-12, 14:37
Although some people think it only fuels health anxiety, others recommend buying a home blood pressure monitor, sold in pharmacies and electronics stores. I have one and have found it reduces my health anxiety.

Yes, I have one of those at home. Most of the time, my readings are ok... only once was it 160/100 in July, after a super long day at work, lack of sleep etc.

Usually my readings are OK, and sometimes go up... I think the nurse said I should take pills because the last time I saw her (about 2 months ago) my BP was 140/90 (high blood pressure according to British Blood Pressure Association).... yesterday it was 150/90 when she took it and today 140/90.... this afternoon, it was normal again, at 116/58 and this evening 128/79.

I know that it's almost certainly a sign that I need to make some changes though, like less salt in diet, more fruit and more quality sleep!

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Mine read 150/90 on previous GP visit but he wasnt at all concerned as I was over anxious at the time.

Yes, that's why I get confused... as what is 'normal' for one doctor is 'high' for another doctor.

Dazza
25-10-12, 15:40
This morning my blood pressure was normal, around 120/80, and this afternoon the same, now it's 140/90 again this evening.. then when I saw this it went up to 140/97... I'm freaking...

This morning it was normal....

I'm worrying these days about going onto meds, I don't want to....

How long does someone have to have high blood pressure before needing to go onto meds? I would prefer to get it down naturally... but is it safe not to take meds and do it naturally?

Annie0904
25-10-12, 15:43
I would take advise from your doctor. It doesn't seem to be too worrying as it is not high all the time and even then it is not dangerously high but more borderline.

Em84
25-10-12, 15:46
Hi
I remember once having the worst dizzy spell and was obv an anxiety attack, I went to Superdrug and asked them to take my BP, it was 160/ something....I went to my GP and he did it again and was 150/ i never remember the bottom one, most of my family take meds for high BP but he said as I was only 27 he won't put me on meds as sometimes it was lower when taking a bit after.....