PDA

View Full Version : Lump in my arm

pacer
24-10-12, 18:05
I'm freaking out, i noticed a lump in my arm and now i'm so scared. i think (hope) it's a lipoma but i'm too scared to have it checked. I'm so stupid i should just go and get it looked at and hopefully the doctor will say ,yes it's a lipoma. But what if it isn't???

lo89
24-10-12, 18:13
what is the lump like?

pacer
24-10-12, 18:15
it's under the skin and it moves a bit when i push it! It's probably a few centimetres big.

Annie0904
24-10-12, 18:17
If it moves about it sounds like it could be a ganglion or a cyst but if you are worrying about it I would ask your doctor to check it just to reassure you.

MRS STRESS ED
24-10-12, 18:17
your not stupid you just carnt help feeling like you do ,I can understand you when I find anything different panic sets in ,its awful go to your GP get it checked and it will give you some peace of mind xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hugs:

pacer
24-10-12, 18:22
Thank you, i know that i should go but I'm already burying myself!
I'm so stupid i wish i was normal and just went to my doctor instead of GOOGLING!!!!!!!

Annie0904
24-10-12, 18:25
You are not stupid at all (apart from the fact you are googling!) Seriously..we all get worried about things so understand what you are going through but it does sound like a harmless cyst. Don't google any more and go to see your doctor for reassurance :hugs:

pacer
24-10-12, 18:27
OK, i'll try and stop asking Dr google. Thanks x

lo89
24-10-12, 18:33
It could also be a lipoma as you mentioned. I have one on my back, similar to what you are describing. How firm is it? I was told by my doctor that a moving lump is rarely anything to worry about!

pacer
24-10-12, 18:36
it's not really hard but not squishy either. What's yours like?

lo89
24-10-12, 18:45
Feel the muscle in the area between your thumb and the bone of your index finger. Not the loose skin at the outside, but the muscle between the bone. That is the same firmness of my lipoma.
Is your lump smooth or bumpy?

pacer
24-10-12, 18:46
Yeah i think mine's harder than that but smooth.

almamatters
24-10-12, 19:12
I have one on my collar bone. GP has reassured me that as it moves it is a good sign. I would check with doctor who will be able to put your mind at rest.

lo89
24-10-12, 19:23
Mines is pretty hard. Actually, a better way to describe it would be exactly like a bouncy ball which has been cut in half and stuck in the muscle on my back! There is quite a lot of tissue over mines also because it is on the fatty part of my back. Smooth is good also! As I said mines is very smooth, like a perfect dome almost.
I would get it checked out for your peace of mind. I posted a thread about my lipoma a few days ago, you should be able to view it on here I think, if you click on my name and go to view all threads.
I constantly worry about my lipoma as everything I read online talks about how they should be soft and mobile but mines is pretty firm and only moves a tiny bit!

pacer
24-10-12, 19:27
Thanks, i'm glad i posted now. yes i've just viewed your thread, i'm glad your doc said yours is fine and yours almamatters.
I will try not to worry about it and pluck up enough courage to see a doc.
Is yours quite deep?

almamatters
24-10-12, 19:33
Mine is quite deep and is about 5cm across. It took me 3 months to show my GP mine as I was convinced it was a cancerous tumour and put myself through hell. I know how you feel. :hugs:

pacer
24-10-12, 19:35
Oh no! what are we like. Well that's 2 of you that have lipoma's hopefully mine will be that too.

lo89
24-10-12, 19:45
Mines is pretty deep. It lies level with my hip bone about an inch from my spine. The area it is found in is quite fatty/muscly, mind you I am fairly petite (size 10) so there isn't a tonne of fat there in the first place. My dad has lots of lipomas, his are far closer to the skin and far softer than mines. I thought mines was a bone at first!

almamatters
24-10-12, 20:03
Thought mine was a bone as well as i'm skinny but it was only through constant prodding and trying to move it I realised it was something else. Like I said in earlier post took me months to dare to show my GP.

lo89
24-10-12, 20:13
Betcha if we didn't suffer from health anxiety we wouldn't even know we had these lipomas!

pacer
24-10-12, 21:52
I bet life is very different when you don't worry all the time x

pacer
01-11-12, 19:22
So I went to see my gp and it's nothing to worry about! I'm relieved and I will in future just go and see her insteed of worrying myself sick.

almamatters
01-11-12, 19:24
Glad you went to your GP and that all is ok, it can save a lot of unnecessary worrying .