PDA

View Full Version : Guys i need your help....

Bongo182
24-10-12, 19:30
Ok so if any of you read my post from 2 days ago, you have read that i started with a panic disorder four years ago and for the last 2 and a half years i was able to kick it to the curb.

But now it has come back, when i have just got a house with my partner and a new job. Doctors have tried me on lots of medication but i never take it because of the '3 weeks of making me worse' fear. I do have diazepam as these seem to calm me down 'abit' (but rarely take them) and alcohol seems to help alot when i go through this (my drinking has increased , probably drinking around 4 cans of lager a evening now).

To let you into a quick past, last time i had these problems it made me agrophobic for about 3 months, literally could not leave the house. Now i have a partner , new house and new job i cant feel like that!

Can anyone reccomend any meds that will help and dont have such a rough time for first 3 weeks? i get scared that when i start taking them my anxiety will naturally rise as i am expecting to feel worse.

Hope you all get what i mean :)

Bongo

nomorepanic
24-10-12, 19:47
Hi Bongo

Do you want medication or do you want the therapy route ?

Bongo182
24-10-12, 20:07
Well first time i tried therapy it took so long to et my appointment, by the time it came throuh the post i was on the route to recovery and didnt want to remind myself of what hell i had been through. And everytime i go to the doctors with it, they always basically tell me, if i am not willing to take the medication they want me to take....then why am i their?

now i think im ready to try and give some tablets a go for a couple of months tho. something that just relaxes me and makes me feel more positive would be great :)

hurricanesian
24-10-12, 20:33
propanolol offers pretty much immediate relief - within a few hours. But because they're beta-blockers they may not be appropriate for everyone.

I'm on pregabalin at the moment, and I'm feeling the benefit after less than a week and haven't felt any worse so that might be worth a go too.

Laura123
24-10-12, 21:06
I am like you, just not good taking ssri's, i started sertraline 3 weeks ago, and felt a bit kittery for a few days but after say about 4 days i started to feel a bit better, 3 weeks in and i see a huge difference, i also take propranolol 3 times a day which helps keep me calm, i have had no side effects from propranolol at all. The way i see it is sometimes you have to try before you say its not for me, everyone is different on medication, some agree with one person whilst it wont with the other, give it a go, you never know, it may just be the best thing you ever did x