PDA

View Full Version : EYE OPENER ABOUT NMP!for new people!

hollymuso
24-10-12, 20:11
hi. this is a bit of a long one...but please bare with me!! :blush:
I suppose this is really aimed at anyone new on here. i have been here many time over the the past couple of years and afraid to say ive been using it wrong and have been selfish. I mostly sign on to post about symptoms ..looking for reassurance that im not dying or that my feeling are normal. instead of talking about the anxiety im experiencing because of my symptoms. which would be the correct thing to do. I have to be honest and admit that i have never really read anything highlighted in red on this site...the stuff that helps. Maybe its just me but i know some people panic and just want answers...like i did. and basically i was too afraid to talk about anxiety and panic for fear of making it worse. i over came a lot after my bad time of 2010 and didnt wanna go back. i wouldnt even let people say the 'A' word and 'P' word!! lol. how stupid i was to fear it and not just go with it knowing with full confidence it DOES PASS and WILL if you let it. i read about doctor google! OMG its me all over and i read a thread about what to do now...then the reminder about coming here to get diagnosis! i know realize you should never be afraid of something that is part of you and never be afraid to talk about it. Most importantly speaking to others abotu what they experience with anxiety is such help. I cried reading about people stories similar to mine ive felt so so so alone! god this is long winded and i ramble a lot but i really jsut wanted to post for new people who may make the same mistake i have been, call me silly but if id read more and not just posted how scared i was all the time i may have got through 'moments' a lot quicker!

Thanks for reading.
Hols.
xxxxxxxxx

Ats666
24-10-12, 20:42
Never a truer word said, those in red really really help xx

Zingything
24-10-12, 21:24
I think you've done extremely well in not only realising that you could get more comfort and support by reading as well as writing new posts, but that you have taken the time to let others know. I think you're doing brilliantly/
Zings :hugs:

Elle-Kay
24-10-12, 21:26
I think you've done extremely well in not only realising that you could get more comfort and support by reading as well as writing new posts, but that you have taken the time to let others know. I think you're doing brilliantly/
Zings :hugs:

I agree :)

lo89
24-10-12, 21:36
I think it is a bit of a process which needs to happen. The first stage is accepting that I have got health anxiety, which I have done. The next stage is realising that worrying about being ill is making me notice tiny symptoms, which are then magnified by worrying about them. I find it reassuring to know that other people are going through the same as me (we can't all be dying!) and, for me, rationalising my symptoms is an important part of dealing with my health anxiety.
I am maybe slightly different from other people here in that I suffer from no anxiety in other aspects of my life. I have never had a panic attack, or worried about anything excessively, other than my health.
For me, the anxiety will only stop when I learn to realise that my symptoms are not as bad as I think. I am getting there, slowly but surely, but it is only because I am discussing my symptoms with others that I can realise that actually, it is normal and not a sign of terrible illness.
So yes, I agree reading the posers at the top is important (I read them all before I registered) but the key thing about this forum, for me, is keeping me away from dr. Google and his panic inducing ways!

panic12
24-10-12, 21:46
I think it is a bit of a process which needs to happen. The first stage is accepting that I have got health anxiety, which I have done. The next stage is realising that worrying about being ill is making me notice tiny symptoms, which are then magnified by worrying about them. I find it reassuring to know that other people are going through the same as me (we can't all be dying!) and, for me, rationalising my symptoms is an important part of dealing with my health anxiety.
I am maybe slightly different from other people here in that I suffer from no anxiety in other aspects of my life. I have never had a panic attack, or worried about anything excessively, other than my health.
For me, the anxiety will only stop when I learn to realise that my symptoms are not as bad as I think. I am getting there, slowly but surely, but it is only because I am discussing my symptoms with others that I can realise that actually, it is normal and not a sign of terrible illness.
So yes, I agree reading the posers at the top is important (I read them all before I registered) but the key thing about this forum, for me, is keeping me away from dr. Google and his panic inducing ways!

AGREED!!

diane07
24-10-12, 22:54
Well done for this post hols,

You are so not alone on this.

I remember when i first found NMP myself and i was just so thankful after years and years of being tormented by the demons of anx and panic that i was finally not on my own, however, i was still only posting and not reading what was there for me.

I think what happens is anx and panic can feel so debilitating at times that we get wrapped up in our own needs and only read and hear what we need/want. And we kind of miss what is in front of us..............pretty normal to be honest when you're so anxious.

I am a recovered agoraphobic, my life is back to how it used to be only better, never give up and never feel you are stuck with anx and panic, it can be overcome.

The most important thing is not to read and withhold all the doom and gloom of anxieties, but to concentrate on how it can be overcome and never lose sight of that.

onwards and upwards.

Fab post!

di xx

FayeM567
25-10-12, 02:09
Yeah, I agree with this. I've found myself doing this too. It sadly makes sense though. People who don't suffer anxiety tend to not have a whole lot a patience with a person gets in the state we do with symptoms etc. I've found using this site that the people on here naturally have more understanding and empathy when a person is thinking that way.