PDA

View Full Version : Exercise to combat depression

kate
06-06-04, 14:55
I am suffering from another bout of depression at the moment, and cannot be bothered to do anything much at all [xx(]

We had been talking about joining the gym so today we went to our local David Lloyd fitness center and the whole family have joined!

We have now sat down and planned out our next few days at the gym. We are going to do tennis, swimming and the gym equipment.

They also do classes in Tai Chi so I'm going to give that a go as well.

I'm hoping that, as we have paid for the first month already, that it will give me the get up and go to actually DO something for a change! [:p]

Anyway, will let you all know how it goes ;)

Kate x

sal
06-06-04, 16:40
Hi Kate

Really pleased you have motivated yourself to join the gym, its the first step. Exercise does make you feel better, but i know myself how hard it is motivating yourself. Our next mission will have to be "fit chicks" LOL. Enjoy it. Speak soon

Lots of love Sal xxxx

Meg
06-06-04, 17:03
Brilliant news Kate...

Let me know how the Tai chi goes.

Best of motivation ..

Meg

sarah
06-06-04, 17:27
Hiya Kate

Well done for joining a gym, its something I just cant motivate myself to do right now...lol

I hope you have great fun there, it will be nice that you can do it with all the family and get fit at the same time...great idea mate!!!

love sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

kate
06-06-04, 17:39
Thanks everyone!

It is so hard to find something that the whole family can get involved with, and this seems to be IT!!

Forgot to mention, they've also got a beauty salon that does everything from massage to facials and also hair! Extra charge though!

So, as it's my birthday next week, I'm going to book an Indian head massage as my treat!

Thanks for all your encouragement.

Kate x

nomorepanic
06-06-04, 19:46
Kate

Great news. As you know my panic was "cured" by exercise and diet. I still exercise a lot now but it is hard to get motivated and get up and do it.

It definitely helps with the breathing too.

You will love it once you get into it and you will get fitter too.

Nicola

sal
06-06-04, 22:23
Hi Kate

Treat yourself as its your birthday. I had an indian head massage in Majorca as the hotel had a health suite. Really chilled me out and helped me keep it together. You deserve it hon, so enjoy.

And like Nicola say exercise does help loads.

Take care. Hope work goes ok tomorrow.

Lots of love Sal xxxxxxx

twister
06-06-04, 23:05
I'm going back to the gym now my exams are finished. It helps because when you have a stressful situation your body is instructed to produce adrenaline (amongst other things such as noradrenaline and corticosteroids) from the adrenal gland. If this excess energy is not burned then it stays in the body and contributes to things such as high blood pressure, furring up of arteries and supression of the immune system.

It is basically a hangover from evolution when mans only stressors involved wooly mammoths to run from! We havent evolved and so this stress reaction actually makes us iller unless we can deal with it and burn it off.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

kate
07-06-04, 19:38
I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself tonight :(

I started with an upset stomach yesterday afternoon (both ends!!) and haven't been to work today [xx(]

Hubby and kids have gone to the fitness center and have just phoned me to say they have played tennis, gone swimming, had a sauna and are now sitting down to a meal in the restaurant

Oh well, maybe tomorrow :D

Kate x

nomorepanic
07-06-04, 21:12
Oh Poor Kate

I hope you feel better in time for your Birthday!

You have plenty of time to go yet don't you?

xx

Nicola

sal
07-06-04, 21:13
Hiya Kate

sorry to hear you are not feeling to good. But no point been at work if you feel ill hon. Sounds like the fitness centre has been a success so far and hopefully you will be better soon and can get to go. Plus at least youve had some time to chill whilst hubby took the kids out!!!

Speak soon. Take care hone.

Lots of love Sal xxxxx

Meg
07-06-04, 21:16
..especially as you work with kids and food.

I hope you're better soon and can go and enjoy the fitness centre.

Meg

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Samantha
07-06-04, 21:24
Sorry to hear your too good, hope you feel better tomorrow and are able to go too

Sam

pips
07-06-04, 23:01
Hope you feel better soon Kate. Good luck with the Gym!
Take Care
Love PIP's XX

kate
08-06-04, 09:01
Thanks everyone!

I'm feeling a lot better today thanks, so hope to go to the gym tonight and back to work tomorrow!

Kate x

sal
08-06-04, 17:24
Hi Kate

Pleased to hear you are feeling a lot better. You get yourself to the gym tonight and have a good chill out, you deserve it. Left a few posts on Pips Intro for you. Hope work goes ok for you tomorrow. Take care hon.

Lots of love Sal xxxxx

Meg
08-06-04, 18:02
Looking forward on the post report !!

Bet the pool will be busy today.
Have fun

Meg

kate
08-06-04, 20:25
Hiya everyone,

Well, I made it to the gym today :D

We had our induction then went on the bikes, the treadmill and a kind of stepper with arm movements!

We then went and had a game of tennis. Thought I was the most unfit person but I surprised myself and, although sweating loads, found I wasn't too out of breath!![:0]

Anyway, we finally went for a swim and it was actually quite empty!

I am pleased to report that I never had one panicky moment, even though it is a new place which of course comes with all the associated panics!

I really enjoyed it and we even went for a meal afterwards.

So, it is having the benefit of getting me fitter, enabling us to do something together as a family and, most important of all, it is getting me out of the house [8D]

For my birthday, hubby is treating me to a treatment at the beauty spa.

Only problem is, which treatment shall I choose???

Kate x

sal
08-06-04, 20:29
Hi Kate

Really pleased you enjoyed yourself!! And with no panic. Well done hon.

Sal xxxx

nomorepanic
08-06-04, 20:31
Kate

Nice one! Sounds like you had a great time. Always good if you enjoy exercise and it will help a lot with the diet and fitness too!

Hope to see you online tomorrow night after your beauty treatment but if not then HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!

xxxxx

Nicola

Meg
08-06-04, 22:30
Excellent Kate. Great success.

Happy birthday for tomorrow.

Meg

jillycoops5
23-04-15, 21:33
Hi Kate
Exercise is great for depression, this my second bout of depression in six years and i drag myself to the gym where i do fitsep (dance), Legs, bums and tums & body tone and aquafit, alot of the time i don't want to go but i drag myself out and always feel better afterwards, the excercise always makes me feel better boosts the happy hormones and i have a chat with the people in the class too always cheers me up.
Hope you feel better soon and can enjoy the gym x

PanchoGoz
23-04-15, 22:24
I hope she feels better too as she posted that 11 years ago :D

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

exercise is great for depression though, if I have it I go for very long walks in the countryside. The countryside helps too.

MyNameIsTerry
24-04-15, 04:46
I've read in a cycling mag that cycling is recommended for depression. It makes sense being low impact and outdoors as well as possibly social. It requires a little bit of concentration too so there is less time for the negative thoughts.

Walking is always a good starter. I always walk daily, its better than sitting about in the house.

There is a bit of a move towards outdoor bootcamps. Its been coming along for a few years now. These are a good option for people who want a class but in the fresh air with more functional work. They reckon it boosts mood more. I guess it does depend where it is because there was a PT setting them up at a local park to me which some people might find offputting.