PDA

View Full Version : SSRI's (Zoloft) and memory impairment, anyone else?

neptune296
25-10-12, 02:49
Hi all,

My doctor and psychologist have been pushing me to take Zoloft, I started 25mg four days ago and I've had increased anxiety, panic, and just feel weird. On top of that I've noticed that my short-term memory is worse and am worried its something really terrible causing the short-term memory loss.

I've heard that SSRI's such as Zoloft can cause a lot of side effects at first including memory troubles, is this true? Has anyone else had any experience with SSRI's and memory problems?

Thank you for your help, I'm just trying to figure out whether I should keep taking an SSRI, they say it will help me but I feel awful right now :(. I also have bad allergies so maybe that's effecting my memory.

MoonlightFire
25-10-12, 14:50
Hi Neptune

I've been taking Sertraline (Zoloft) for 10 years and I get short term memory problems. Nothing really severe but I do have to note things down more than I used to and set little reminders for myself at work on my computer. I think memory issues are quite a common side effect. It's a pain but you figure out a way round it :)

Moonlight Xxx

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

Oh, also, stress and anxiety causes short term memory problems too so it could just be your anxiety. I would let the medication settle in your system and then see how everything is. It took about 3-4 weeks for the meds to really start taking effect for me. But when they did the difference in my anxiety was amazing :)

Lissa101
26-10-12, 12:14
Hi Neptune, I've been on Zoloft for 7 weeks now (100mg) and have definitely noticed impaired memory. It has helped my anxiety a LOT even though I felt terrible at first. Memory loss from medication is temporary and is far easier to deal with than anxiety so stick with it and give it chance xxx

neptune296
27-10-12, 01:16
Hi everyone thank you for your replies!

Its reassuring that it takes a little for the medicine to take effect so maybe there's some light at the end of the tunnel :)

I've only been on it for about a week and I just went up to 50mg from 25mg yesterday. But since taking Zoloft I also feel like I have this intense "brain fog" like I can't concentrate or think clearly. I'm really "out of it". Is this another side effect of the medicine that will go away?

I just keep worrying that its not the Zoloft and something else is wrong :(

Thanks!

MissHDynamite
27-10-12, 02:01
Hi Neptune... It is the tablets. What your experiencing is quite common. Stick with it, it will pass xx

Lissa101
27-10-12, 15:46
I still feel a bit of a zombie some days and need to concentrate really hard on tasks that used to be simple. It also stops me from feeling 'connected' to the people around me. I'm hoping this too will pass in time. 7 weeks is still kind of early days with these meds. I'm going to be a PhD student after xmas so I'm going to need my concentration and memory back.... x

Gotagetthroughthis
05-11-12, 21:16
I am on Sertraline and Have been having bad memory problems and doing strange things. I am waiting to see a neurologist at the moment anyway as my head has not been feeling right.

So im not sure if its the Sertraline causing some of my issues or not but my short term memory is non existant, i cant remember where ive put anything, or what i was about to do, i mis place things constantly, i lose my mobile phone around the house about 5 times every day as i just place it somewhere and then realise i dont have it and can never remember where ive left it. Ive also have some trouble recalling peoples names, not close friends but friends that i for sure know there name when im normal. Also been doing strange stuff like throwing towels in the toilet like its a tissue and then realizing what im doing, or washing my hair several times in the shower as i cannot remember if ive washed it 2 seconds before.

Its all getting quite worrying now.

Charlee123
07-11-12, 16:57
Im on week 5 or setraline. 4 weeks on 50mg and it did nothing, now im on day 2 at 100mg and today has been awful. Panic attacks, feel really twitchy, moody and have headaches. I also feel really detached from the world like im not here and wonder who certain people are even thou i no who they are.
My memory is ok, but sometimes i can find i forget what i was about to say. I also feel sick today and havent eaten alot.
Anyone else in my boat?
I have only been diagnosed with anxiety 8 weeks ago after i had anpanic attack one night. I have a fear/phobia of memory loss so im beggining to question things as im scared im going nuts?! Make sense?

TheCatsMeow
28-12-16, 19:13
Hey there,

I was on Zoloft for 2 years; I started at 50 mg and I was at 200 mg before the end of my first year. They stopped helping so I had to switch a few months ago. The withdrawals are the WORST. Even though I'm on a new medication, Pristiq, I still experience withdrawals and memory loss.

I've had problems with my memory since the Zoloft stopped working. I don't like that it still affects my memory. I always feel cloudy and I forgot what it was like to be clear-headed.