PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...

goku
25-10-12, 09:10
Hi,
I am new to this forum, but sadly not new to anxiety.
I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for several years, but only last year faced up to my problems and sought help from my doctor. For the last 6 months I have been having CBT, which has helped me deal with my social anxiety in some everyday situations, but my anxiety is still there and effects me on a daily basis.
Now my course of CBT has come to an end I don't know what I should do, as I had hoped things would have improved more by now. What should be my next step on the road to recovery?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

BobbyDog
25-10-12, 11:27
Keep putting into practice all you have learned when having your CBT. Stay positive even if you don't really feel like it. Take one small step every day toward your recovery.
You could have a look at the No Panic.org website, there is a £12 annual joining fee. They offer one to one counselling sessions by telephone, or you could join their telephone recovery group.

vwkamper
26-10-12, 11:40
Hi,
CBT was good for me too i've stopped the panic attacks and i'm able to use what he taught me in my sessions outside.
I still can't go to big places alone and i'll avoid it if i can.
I also feel better in myself and understand more of why i am the way i am,
but i'll never have 100% recovery he said because i've lived this way too long.
Good luck tho'

lexy

goku
27-10-12, 11:43
Thank you for your replies. I think the problem I am having is that the CBT has helped with some situations which trigger anxiety/panic but not others. And because of this I have started to consider being prescribed some medication (something I didn't want to do in the past. Do you think the right medication could help with easing the physical sensations of anxiety or should I just stick with what I learned through CBT?

flossie
27-10-12, 12:02
Whether taking medication is right for you or not is really a decision that should be made by talking it through with your GP. Make an appointment and ask your doc if he thinks meds would help at this stage of your recovery.
Medication isn't suitable for everyone and can in some cases just serve to mask the real underlying problems you are coping with.
Good advice from the above posters. The CBT course teaches the skills to change your negative thought processes and to manage the anxiety you experience. It is now up to you to practise these skills every day and to use them to face the areas of your life that are still a struggle. You have already proved to yourself that you can do it. You are being a bit hard on yourself, be patient and now slowly chip away at all the barriers that make life difficult for you. You can't solve everything all at once and it sounds as if you are doing just fine.
I was also going to suggest you look at the help available through No Panic.
There may also be other support available to you in your area so ask your GP if he has anything else to offer.
Well done for the progress you have already made, small steps at a time and good luck.

Stormsky
13-07-13, 06:28
Meds mask the symptoms, but don't cure anything, meaning when you come off them you could still have to face the anxiety again.

Sorry just realised this is an old post!

theharvestmouse
13-07-13, 10:28
Stormsky I disagree a little, someone may take the medication as a helping crutch to initially go out to face their problems, without it they may never make the step.

Yet by doing it and then making progress you can't say its only down to the medication, of course it depends on what medication etc but a large part of recovery is down to will power and self motivation rather than just the meds.

Stormsky
13-07-13, 22:16
Stormsky I disagree a little, someone may take the medication as a helping crutch to initially go out to face their problems, without it they may never make the step.

Yet by doing it and then making progress you can't say its only down to the medication, of course it depends on what medication etc but a large part of recovery is down to will power and self motivation rather than just the meds.

That's why I said they mask the Anx, as in, so you can live your day to day life..
I also said 'you could' be back at square one..not definitely will be.

Ally-SA
16-07-13, 15:32
Hello

I'm relatively new to anxiety. I have good days, and bad days...

I've been working through the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook - and am trying quite a few things to help with my anxiety:

- diet
- exercise
- relaxation

I still have a long way to go... but it is helping a little.

I tried medication - and it helped for a few months. It got me out of a pretty dark place. But when I stopped taking them in Feb this year - the anxiety was still there. I had to look really deep to find out the actual cause...

In my case - my weight, and not being happy in what I thought was my "dream" job, which I quit last year - and that is where it all started.

Wish I could be of more help.

Timo
24-07-13, 21:31
Look at all aspects of your life like sleep, exercise, diet, and just make a small improvement every day. Good luck!