PDA

View Full Version : Worried I've got shingles

Savannah
25-10-12, 10:40
My anxiety isn't great at the moment and I am seeing my GP later today about it as they think I'm suffering some form of post traumatic stress.

I noticed before I went to sleep last night that my left forearm ached a little and the skin hurt to brush against just up the outside my lower arm. Today it still feels the same, it hurts to run my finger across the skin just up my lower arm on the outside.

I'm panicking its shingles. I had stabbing achy pain in left temple and jaw for two days which has been ok for 24 hours. Now this in lower arm I'm putting the 2 together and worrying myself silly.

I feel ok other than this arm but I'm really worried:( Can anyone help?

Annie0904
25-10-12, 10:42
I have had shingles twice and the first sign is spots (like chicken pox) running in a line.

Savannah
25-10-12, 10:56
Thanks Annie. Is the pain where the rash is? Do you feel very unwell? Determined not to google. X

Annie0904
25-10-12, 10:58
Shingles runs along a nerve so you would have pain there and spots all in a line and yes you would feel unwell. Do you have spots there?

Savannah
25-10-12, 11:01
No spots. Just this sore stingy skin if I touch it and arm aches a little.

No fever either?

Annie0904
25-10-12, 11:05
It doesn't sound like shingles then. I sometimes get sore, tingly areas so I don't think it is anything to worry about. If you have a doctors appointment today you could mention it to him just to reassure you. Shingles comes from the chicken pox virus..if you have had chicken pox you can get shingles and the spots are very similar.

Savannah
25-10-12, 11:19
No spots. Can I ask if you had a fever? I will ask my GP later.

Thank you x

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

The reason I'm worrying about the sore skin on my arm is that I had the stabbing pain in temple and jaw area in face for 2 days so I'm worrying the are related:/

SamanthaAU
25-10-12, 11:28
my husband had shingles a few months ago. He had them running around half of his back. His first symptom before the rash came was he had a sore back (in the spot where the rash was) which was the nerve pain.

I thought you had the pain near where you had the rash. All he did was go to the GP and got some anti biotics and all was well (though he doesn't have HA!)

Big hugs xxx

Annie0904
25-10-12, 11:32
They wouldn't be related...as Samantha said the pain would be were the spots are. You can get a sore feeling before the rash appears but if you see the doctor as soon as the rash appears you can get medication which stops it getting any worse. Mine cleared without any problems after taking the medication. Mention it to your doctor when you go.

Savannah
25-10-12, 11:36
Thank you both. Does the rash come out quickly?

Annie0904
25-10-12, 11:40
It is a long time since I had it but I am sure one spot appeared on its own then within a few days I had a row of them...only about 6 altogether.

SamanthaAU
25-10-12, 11:41
Yes it does - I just asked and he said a day or two maximum. You will be fine honey, just go to the GP if you need reassurance xxx

He had a real blistering rash, but the rash itself didn't bother him it was the pain in the back. He was really tired too but he didn't have a temp.

I don't think you would get it on your arm either, I thought it was normally your trunk or your head.

Annie0904
25-10-12, 11:43
The first time I had it was on my face and the second time from my forehead over the top of my head.

Savannah
25-10-12, 12:01
Thank you all so much.

I just wonder why I've got this sore sensitive skin patch to touch:/

So kind of you all to reply xx

SamanthaAU
25-10-12, 12:04
have you burnt it? in the sun, heat, steam? you might have rubbed it up against something that you have reacted too without getting rash or anything.

Or maybe its your mind playing tricks on you? Mine does that a lot xxx

Annie0904
25-10-12, 12:22
I sometimes get sore patches on my arm and don't know why but it doesn't concern me, it just goes again x

Savannah
25-10-12, 12:40
Thank you.

Not that I'm aware of. Just is very sore to touch the skin? I feel well in myself.

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

It's very strange because my left hand, the bone on palm just above wrist also hurts as I drive, using the gear. Hurts as I use my gear like that bone is sore?:/

Annie0904
25-10-12, 12:52
It could just be strain from using it. I get all sorts of aches and pains but I must admit I don't really pay much attention to it. I just think maybe I have been doing something that has caused it, it usually goes in a few days.

Savannah
25-10-12, 13:02
Thanks for your help Annie xx

Annie0904
25-10-12, 13:07
No problem, i hope your doctors appointment goes well for you :hugs:

Savannah
25-10-12, 13:50
Thank you x

Savannah
25-10-12, 17:55
I saw my gp. He thinks its more than likely tension causing nerve pain in the skin as I've been very tense. He said to look out for a rash on my arm though over the next couple of days and to go back if I do.

I hope it eases off. I took paracetamol earlier and the skin felt much better to touch since.

Annie0904
25-10-12, 18:49
Pleased your doctor has been able to reassure you :)

Savannah
25-10-12, 19:49
I'm still a bit worried as skin hurting to touch again now and arm achy. I just don't like waiting to know:/