PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid??

kivyt73
25-10-12, 13:53
That my thyroid is the problem. I had blood tests on Tuesday and I found out today that my TSH is 4.8. Not sure what this really means but it seems that my thyroid is underactive or hypo. I am freaking out. I am med phobic and scared of taking synthroid.

Does anyone have hypothyroid and take synthroid without any trouble?

Thanks,
Ivy

MissHDynamite
25-10-12, 14:28
Hello Kivyt... I shouldn't worry at all. It is only very slightly underactive so it is possible that your doctor will just check it again in a few weeks. With TSH numbers, it is the opposite.. the higher the number, the more underactive the thyroid and the lower number equals overactive thyoid.

I would be more than happy if that was my reading (been underactive for years). Some doctors look for a range between 0 and 3.5 others say between 0 and 5, so either way your not far out and medication might not be needed.

Try not to dwell until your next visit to the docs, it is not as bad as your think.. trust me :) x

kivyt73
25-10-12, 21:44
Thanks MissDynamite,
I went in for a follow up this afternoon and though his first idea was to put me on synthroid, we decided to recheck in four weeks to be sure it doesn't resolve itself.

Ivy:)

MissHDynamite
25-10-12, 22:35
That's good news.. hope you have settled a bit now :)

Keep us updated xx

panickyme
26-10-12, 01:03
awwww Ivy I feel your pain, I don't like taking any medicine. I'm glad it worked out for you. Not sure of the website, but It's called thyroid message boards, type that in and see if it comes up. It's just like this site you can talk to people about any thyroid issues. Really great site for info, support, etc. My husband had what they call a thyroid storm, he was so sick, and they were so supportive. All synthroid is, is what your body would normally make anyway, so it will be alright if you have to take it, it will not make you sick. Hope this helps! :hugs:

swgrl09
26-10-12, 03:56
hypothyroid can actually cause anxiety, so if you are having anxiety maybe the synthroid will help it

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

also my mom was on synthroid her whole life, no side effects from it

Tessar
26-10-12, 10:44
Hey Ivy, my partner has taken levothyroxine (just another name for synthroid) for about 15 years for underactive thyroid. no side effects and the medication works really well. also I just read online that "Side-effects to levothyroxine treatment are exceptionally rare as levothyroxine is identical to the thyroid hormone naturally produced by the thyroid gland. i would completely agree with this since i've not heard anything negative.
if it turns out you need to take it, once they decide on the dose & things are stable -it's just a yearly check. between times usually everything is absolutely fine. i would be very surprised indeed if it cause you any problems. but if it's necessary to take it, the benefits most definitely make it worthwhile.
also its good that you are being looked after by your doctor and looking after yourself too.