PDA

View Full Version : Newbie- urgent help needed before I break down! :(

HollieeB
25-10-12, 17:28
Just a bit of background quickly, im 17, been suffering anxiety most of my life. left school last year because of anxiety, then got depression. anxiety been a bit better but really need to start thinking about going back to college/getting a job.

My mum is going on holiday on saturday for a week. I cannot even deal with her staying away for one night. my sister is also going away on camp so she wont be there. just thinking about it makes me want to cry.

Im going to my nans. I haven't had the best relationship with my nan the past few months and she has loads of things planned for that week so I will be alone anyway. our 2 dogs are coming with me but they cry and winge when my mum isnt there which makes everything 10x worse.

i've got counselling in an hour and im just about ready to break down.

I have told my mum time and time again but she thinks im being selfish.

I really cannot deal with this. she also went away 3 weeks ago for the weekend- she wouldnt let me come so I stayed home and managed although I had about 1000 panic attacks & cried constantly. I thought maybe because I did that for her she would think about me for a change but nope.
dont know what to do

MissHDynamite
25-10-12, 18:24
Hello Hollie... I understand exactly where your coming from and yes it is a very frightening place but... nothing bad will happen to you I promise.

Often I find that people with anxiety issues tend to hide them so I am wondering if you have explained it all to your mum or grandma thoroughly.. It might be that if you did, you would feel more comfortable staying with your grandma as she would have more understanding. It is very hard for those who don't or haven't suffered with these types of things to get to grips as to just how huge these fears are.

Are you on any tablets for your anxiety?

Hope your counselling went well :) x

ricardo
25-10-12, 18:30
parents or partners so often don't understand our feelings or what we go through.Please be strong

HollieeB
25-10-12, 21:04
Thankyou
I dont want to tell my mum because I dont want her to be worried about me when she is on Holiday.
Counselling really helped tonight, she told me to go out & buy loads of magazines and chocolate to get me through :)
Im sooo nervous, hate feeling like this :(

panickyme
25-10-12, 21:50
Awesome advice, magazines, and chocolate. I know the feeling stinks, honey but hang in there, they are just feelings, and they will not hurt you. I know they are scarey, but you will be alright:bighug1: Give those dogs a hug, sometimes pets can be a really big help. It will pass, and we are all here with you, you are not alone.

traciec39
25-10-12, 23:22
Hi Hollie

I have a daughter called Hollie too, she also hates it
When I go away too. I'm a long time panic sufferer and sadly
She gets anxiety attacks too. I feel guilty cos I feel she got it
From me.
Anyway, darling you will be fine. Lots of goodies and
Remember we all are here to talk too.
Big hugs to u xxxxx

Elle-Kay
25-10-12, 23:28
I know you probably won't truly believe this right now, but you will cope, I promise :) My anxiety was really bad back in June, and my Mum & sister went away on holiday for a week then. That was when I came (back) to NMP. I needed the support, and thanks to everything I've found here I'm in a much better place today than I was then. It feels like it will be horrible right now, but as horrible as it feels you really are in no danger from your feelings - you will keep breathing, and your heart will keep beating, so you're not at risk physically, and nor can anxiety "drive you mad". Come here as much as you need to. Read the advice, play the games, chat with others. It will help, and you'll feel better once the week is over about taking a big step on the road to recovery :)

flossie
26-10-12, 10:36
Magazines and chocolate, sounds like the perfect counsellor to me.
I understand how you feel as I have felt exactly the same way.
However, and this easy for me to say but I know it will be more difficult for you, stop worrying. You are already setting yourself up for failure, convincing yourself that you cannot cope and that the whole week will be spent in a state of total panic. You are willing yourself to fall apart.
Start to think more positive thoughts. I will buy myself a magazine or puzzle book each day. I am looking forward to watching this or that programme tomorrow evening. I am going to make a cake for me and Nan this afternoon. If I have an anxiety attack I will accept that is how I am feeling and I shall continue with my plans anyway.
Stop looking for problems and think pleasant thoughts instead. Negative thinking becomes a habit that can be very difficult to break. Be nice to yourself and also to your Nan. Your Nan is there if anything was to go wrong so you are not alone.
Do you do relaxation exercises or meditation? Now is the perfect time to do them.
If you feel the need to talk to someone who understands then give the No Panic helpline a call. It is manned by volunteers who, in the main, have or are in recovery from some form of phobia or anxiety problem. They are all very nice and will not judge you at all. They are there to help, take advantage of them if you need them.
Have faith in yourself. You will be OK.

HollieeB
26-10-12, 14:14
Thankyou all so much
Im so glad I found this site, everyone is so nice!
Im still feeling anxious, going to my Nans tonight then mum is off early tomorrow morning.
All your advice is really helpful and im definitely going to come here as often as I can