PDA

View Full Version : Monkey mind

Madgirl12
25-10-12, 21:53
A friend of mine once called the constant loop of 'voices' in a person's head 'monkey mind' so that's what I'll call it for the sake of this post.

How do you stop the constant chatter in your head? Especially when it makes you feel anxious and then you get pains in your head and neck?

Mine happens a lot, but I usually get anxious on the way into work and then the 'voices' (not real voices, just thoughts that won't stop) start. They are thoughts about all sorts of things, but mainly shortcoming that I have, accusations, guilt-tripping or things I've messed up in the past, or the way I think people view me. A lot of the time I'm thinking of things my mother has said/might say to me. Even things like "the people at work will notice that you've spent 10 minutes in the toilet" or they'll notice I'm wearing the same trousers today that I wore the rest of the week. It's like OCD, I wish I knew how to stop it when it starts. And when I'm in pain and feeling vulnerable it gets worse.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

dabrucru
26-10-12, 07:40
i get these toughts too, i just try to accept them as they are: toughts, so i thank my mind for providing these stories, and just let them be, i read this book 'the happines trap' and it helped me a lot how to deal with these repetitive thoughts. i also love to read books by echart tolle..

Madgirl12
26-10-12, 21:18
That's the thing, while I know they're just thoughts, or stories as you said, they manage to bury themselves into my mind quite well and it affects me quite a lot. Today has been a bit trying, also been feeling quite lonely and that doesn't help.

I've read The Power of Now and A New Earth, I'd also got half way through Stillness Speaks, keep meaning to pick it up again. They are very powerful books! Have never heard of the Happiness Trap, will need to google. Thanks.

PanchoGoz
26-10-12, 21:28
The problem is not the thoughts: it's the attention you give them. How much importance do you attach to them? How much do you tense up against the thoughts? Or do you accept them for what they are? A person who recognises the thoughts as just useless, unhelpful thoughts that are the result of a prolonged anxiety disorder, will find they just disappear.

The pains in your neck and head are from tense muscles, or rather, your reaction to these thoughts. The thoughts do not cause pain directly. The pain will stop if you no longer care about the thoughts.

Madgirl12
26-10-12, 21:47
It's just learning to let go of them. Somehow! I might have a look online and see if there's anything about letting go of negative thought patterns.