PDA

View Full Version : Is this just a panic attack?

hannaaah
26-10-12, 03:46
I take 80mg slow release propranolol for prevention of migraine. I'm rubbish at remembering to take my tablets though, forgot a few and just stopped taking it about two weeks ago, and I just decided to start taking them again tonight...
About a year ago I started to get panic attacks, ended up in A&E a few times thinking I was having a heart attack, they went away and I haven't had one for a long time.

So anyway tonight, I was feeling weird to begin with, took my tablet with some coke.. and for some strange reason I started worrying about how I shouldn't be taking it with coke.. always do it.. never once worried about it... this was about an hour ago.. about 15minutes ago I started having problems swallowing.. to like the point where I'm almost chocking trying to swallow.. not sure how to explain it properly.. I can breathe fine, but it feels like my throat is closing, even though I can breathe fine.. Has anyone had that during a panic attack? Obviously my mind is going crazy and thinking I'm having some form of allergic reaction to a tablet I've taken hundreds of times before -.-I'm superrrr dizzy also. x.x

Sorry for the kind of pointless post, I guess I just need some reassurance it is just a symptom of a panic attack.. and to distract myself for long enough till I feel better so I don't end up in A&E with my make believe problem!

Tufty
26-10-12, 09:15
:welcome: Hannah,
Hope you're OK as it's a few hours since you posted. The swallowing problem does sound like anxiety. If you have taken the Propanolol for some time without any problems it is not the medication. I wonder why you started it again last night? Were you worried about something or thinking about stuff?
I too take Propanolol and am rubbish at remembering to take it, part of its action is to reduce your adrenaline production so it can help with the physical side of panic - like the palpitations, but I find if I stop it I don't notice anything for several days or weeks and when I restart, it takes a few days to work again. Taking it with cola is OK but probably something you should avoid if you're adrenaline sensitive. Dizziness is also a side effect when starting it again.

Hope you're OK, go see your Dr if you're still having problems today

Love Sam