PDA

View Full Version : worrying about fiances cholesterol results ... input??

swgrl09
26-10-12, 03:49
My fiance had a cholesterol test done at work as part of their "Be Healthy" Program. Well, his weight, BP, sugar, etc were all fine. His cholesterol was high though.

His total level was 202 and his HDL (good cholesterol) was only 32 - it's supposed to be 40 for a guy. I wouldn't be so worried, as my HDL was low too, but his LDL then would be 170 which I am guessing is high, right? They recommended he see his doctor when he gets a chance.

Well I wouldn't be freaking, except my fiance has refused to find a primary doctor. He says he knows he should but just doesn't do it. When I nag him, we fight and he says to not act like his mother. I try to not nag, he is an adult and has to take care of himself. It's not good for my HA to nag either or freak about his health. But he still is not looking for a doctor after this and is not trying to eat healthier.

His lifestyle is prob the culprit ... he eats a lot of meat, not very healthy, and does not exercise. He still has a good BMI because of decent metabolism I guess. He is 5'9" and 155 lbs.

Should I be worried? Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

i don't know if i analyzed right ... it listed out HDL as 32 and total cholesterol as 202 ... did not specify triglycerides separate or ldl separate... ratio was 6.4 which was bad supposedly

swgrl09
26-10-12, 13:41
anybody have experience with high cholesterol or a spouse that won't get checked out?

Magic
26-10-12, 13:58
Hello swgrl,
here in Britain I think some gps would find it a normal result in cholesterol' and others
would say it was a bit high. mine is usually 4. 6, but that is with lowering cholesteral
tablets.
Try to persuade you fiance to find a regular GP to have a blood test regually
I have a blood test every 12months
Take care

Dazza
27-10-12, 09:04
I've had this before.... triglycerides slightly high and LDL slightly high and HDL low.... I quickly reversed it in a few short months, with changes in diet (cut out fatty foods, ate more fish), started to take Omega 3 pills daily and moderate exercise (swimming about 3 to 4 times a week).

My LDL plummeted, my triglycerides were normal and my HDL went up from about 36 to 60! :yesyes:

dazzadoo123
01-11-12, 17:04
i had a genral check up on cholestrol and all my reading were high ..so had fasting bloods done at doctors and it showed all really high like dunno how long been like that could be few years :-( anyways im on statins now as not really another option as it was so high and its come down now after few weeks on them so hopefully all will be o.k ...i no my overall reading was 7.2
daz...