PDA

View Full Version : Creating Symptoms

meche
26-10-12, 08:02
Do you believe that HA has the power to create genuine symproms? It's like when you think you have a brain tumour then you slowly develop a headache which adds fuel to the fire. How does HA know how to do that??? Apart from having this lump in my boob, I've now developed a pain in my underarm, an ache in my back & my boob keeps getting stabbing pains. Why can't I just get a headache or feel dizzy? Why does it have to focus on the area I'm most anxious about! I don't get it...... but I bleeping hate it! xx

Eek
26-10-12, 08:18
It might be because you are focussing on one area you tense all the muscles in that area which makes the various other aches and pains.

Jamesk
26-10-12, 08:42
In a word, yes.

Laura123
26-10-12, 09:43
Ha absolutely can cause so many physical symptoms hunni it really can. When you are anxious you tend to change how you breathe and this can cause muscular pain in the chest area, I bet you having been poking and prodding around your breast and have probably made it quite sore. I know how hard it is trying to keep your cool when ha kicks in. Have you ever had cbt? What about meds? Xx

MRS STRESS ED
26-10-12, 10:08
its right the more your focus on there area ,the worse the symptoms get ,and the hardest bit is trying not to focus on it ,its a horrible battle we have everyday ,but i agree with laura CBT its working for me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hugs:

meche
26-10-12, 10:17
I don't really want to go down that route Laura. Not that I disagree or am against meds - I just feel they aren't for me. Before the lump came back I was doing really well so I'm hoping that when (if??) I get the all clear I can pick up where I left off. Admittedly I have been poking, prodding my underarm (feeling for what, I don't know) and I'm certain I've made it swell slightly - it feels very uncomfortable as does my arm. It's just strange how the one area I'm most concerned about is presenting a variety of symptoms which I associate with breast cancer. It doesn't help that I've felt very sick, tired & look really pale! xx

lo89
26-10-12, 11:12
Ever heard the phrase "worried sick" - I have genuinely worried myself about becoming ill to the point that I become ill! It is like if you tell someone not to think of the colour yellow - what is the first thing they do? Think of the colour yellow of course.
Since finding out that lymph nodes around your collarbone, I suddenly have an aching collarbone and neck! It is because I am constantly thinking about my collarbone that these symptoms appear. It is like if you have a small child, you distract them whilst cleaning out a grazed knee because it hurts less if they are not focusing on the area. I think health anxiety works in the same way.
The doctor is not too worried about the lump and neither should you, until you hear otherwise. :hugs:xx

meche
26-10-12, 11:51
That's how I feel lo89. I've never been as worried as I am now and it feels like it is manifesting itself as a real illness. I feel sick from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep! Also feel weak and have a sense of dread about me. Funnily, I'm not panicking about it though - it's an internal dread if that makes sense. What's also weird is that I can't stop eating.... even when I feel sick! Maybe it's a comfort/control thing - I don't know!

Laura123
26-10-12, 12:01
I think that's a healthy response hunni, you will worry until you get the scan and get the reassurance that your mind needs. Hopefully you won't need to wait very long, that's the hardest bit! I poked and prodded the lump I had so much it was really tender, silly buggers aren't we lol x

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

I bet you would really benefit from cbt, ask your gp for a referral, I think it can only benefit you and the beauty is for you, NO MEDS! Give it a go xx

meche
26-10-12, 12:18
Yep - silly buggers the lot of us! Do you know what's even funnier? You'll laugh at this. I was cooking yesterday evening and had to open a tin of tomatoes. Had a white strappy top on so the inevitable happened - all the way down! Wiped it off as much as possible and ran upstairs to put an old sweater on over the top until after dinner. Well, I forgot all about it until I was undressing for a shower. Pulled my sweater off and the way my top twisted as I took it off, it looked like my nipple had been bleeding. OM-freaking-G! I thought I was going to pass out on the spot until I realised. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry! :doh::doh:. Idiot of the month award goes to......... ME!!!!!

Laura123
26-10-12, 13:07
Lmao oh I can just imagine that!!!! That's the kind if thing I do lol lol. X

meche
26-10-12, 14:51
I'm not the only NMP idiot then :winks:! Glad I'm not alone.
My underarm pain is starting to ease a little. Do you know why? Because I'm at work and I haven't had time to prod/poke. It's really quite simple when you think rationally about it isn't it - unfortunately rationality isn't a word at the forefront of my mind lately :shrug:! xx

panicperson
22-04-13, 20:42
Hi I wondered if you guys had advice for me. I believe Imagine symptoms and its taking over my life as I constantly analysis myself and how I feel x