PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm Millie and I'm losing my mind!

Milliy
26-10-12, 15:58
Hey all I post here through wet eyes and blind panic

I'm nearly 6 weeks pregnant and Although this should be a happy time for me I'm miserable and scared

I suffer from emetophobia have done since I was a teenager (I'm 29) now ...
I had a cold not so long back and developed a tickle cough from it it hasn't been a problem until the other day when I coughed so hard I had to pull over to wretch.. Now of course I flew into a panic and since then I got a fear of coughing to wrenching I've done it 3 times since then .. Everyday I wake up I'm ok for an hour or so then the tickle sets in and I start coughing and panicking .. It doesn't bother me at all when I'm sleeping so that's why I'm wondering if it's a nervous thing now .. Everyone around me thinks I'm crazy my partner says I just need to deal with it.. But if it were so simple .. Sounds rash but it's taking over my life right now along with the probably fact that morning sickness will kick in soon... I say to myself it's worth it to bring a child into the world but can't help the panic

nomorepanic
26-10-12, 16:08
Hi Milliy

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Sparkle1984
26-10-12, 17:27
Welcome to the forums! :)

little scientist
26-10-12, 18:07
Hi Milliy :)

Wolfie
26-10-12, 18:10
Hey Millie!!

Firstly, congrats! :)

I also have a fear of being sick...it's not the most pleasant thing in the world, but in most cases our body is doing it to protect us. In your case however, you're at the point where you may get morning sickness and I'm not sure if there are any meds for it, but I understand that it can't always be helped (source of info: my sister, lol). But you're right, it's wayyy worth it because having a kid is gunna be so rewarding. A

Whenever you feel scared, always always picture the end goal. You, holding your wee baby. Keep that picture in your mind and never forget that you're not going through all this for nothing lol.

Hang in there hun,

Chris

Elle-Kay
26-10-12, 18:13
Welcome to the forums Millie. You're not losing your mind; you're suffering anxiety because of a phobia, which probably isn't being helped by your raging early-pregnancy hormones. Don't panic, you can vent as much as you like here, and will find comfort in others' advice & experiences I'm sure. We have lots of emetophobes (me being one!), and similarly lots of Mums and Mums-to-be :)

Milliy
26-10-12, 18:37
Thank you all for your replies .. I've been at my mums house since tuesday because my partners on nights and I'm scared to be alone as silly as that sounds .. When my mom sister or partner are here I can cope a little better I don't have the cough as much .. As soon as they leave I get the cough and I work myself up thinking it's going to make me heave .. It's causing problems with my partner because he is so frustrated with me saying I'm not helping myself but I feel like I am trying and he just cant understand .. I think right now the cough thing is a nervous thing but in ways that's worse because I do t k ow how to change it

Elle-Kay
26-10-12, 18:59
Have you tried drinking a tea with honey in, to try and ease your tickly throat? Chamomile or lavender tea would be particularly beneficial, and are often sweetened with honey (but please check with your midwife etc. first as I can't vouch for what is allowed during pregnancy).

Milliy
26-10-12, 19:11
I've tried the tea with honey but I think it's foul so can't drink it lol .. I used to be on anti depressants I came off them a couple of years ago.. Wondering if I should go back on them .. I drink honey and lemon I can't tolerate that

Elle-Kay
26-10-12, 19:14
Well I'm actually with you on the honey thing - I don't like it, but thought it might be worth mentioning as not everyone is like me, lol :) Also a friend of mine who was worried about being sick during her pregnancy found that sucking boiled sweets (Glacier fruits or similar) helped her keep the feeling at bay.

Milliy
26-10-12, 19:26
I might try those .. I have had Jakemans sore throat sweets but I find that sucking on 1 for to long they get to strong .. And I try munching on ginger biscuits I think they help .. But it's early on.. The tickle is the most irritating thing I really do think it's in my head it's just trying to get over it

Kel star
23-11-12, 06:00
Hi millie
Have you heard of sweet tooth it's a Facebook site for pregnant mums to talk together ask questions, complainn about the wonderful delights of pregnancy etc. the groups are managed around the month you are due so it is literally people going through same time as you. It has been a lifesaver for my daughter and he r son is now 1 and she keeps in touch with lots of mums. They even have meet ups can you imagine 20 odd babies all the similar age together it's mind blowing. I know this doesn't help the anxiety as such but may be a distraction and another source of moral support.
Have you tried sea bands that are used for travel sickness. They help reduce sickness by pressing on the acupuncture point on your wrist. Good luck