PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant with phobia

Milliy
26-10-12, 17:23
Hiya I did post this I. The "introduce yourself" part but dont know if I put it in the right place

Hey all I post here through wet eyes and blind panic

I'm nearly 6 weeks pregnant and Although this should be a happy time for me I'm miserable and scared

I suffer from emetophobia have done since I was a teenager (I'm 29) now ...
I had a cold not so long back and developed a tickle cough from it it hasn't been a problem until the other day when I coughed so hard I had to pull over to wretch.. Now of course I flew into a panic and since then I got a fear of coughing to wrenching I've done it 3 times since then .. Everyday I wake up I'm ok for an hour or so then the tickle sets in and I start coughing and panicking .. It doesn't bother me at all when I'm sleeping so that's why I'm wondering if it's a nervous thing now .. Everyone around me thinks I'm crazy my partner says I just need to deal with it.. But if it were so simple .. Sounds rash but it's taking over my life right now along with the probably fact that morning sickness will kick in soon... I say to myself it's worth it to bring a child into the world but can't help the panic

flossie
26-10-12, 19:08
Emetaphobia is the 6th most common phobia so you are not alone in your worries. I am emetaphobic too.
Your loved ones will find it difficult to understand if they do not suffer fron anxiety themselves but don't go through this on your own. Speak honestly to your GP and anyone working with you throughout your pregnancy. Be totally open with them and allow them to help you.
Do you practise relaxation or meditation? It will help you both with your anxiety and pregnancy too.
Congratulations by the way.

Milliy
26-10-12, 20:49
Thank you for your congratulations and kind words .. No. Don't practice relaxation or meditation I really wouldn't know where to start :(

Sparkle1984
26-10-12, 22:25
Congratulations on your pregnancy. :) As for relaxation and meditation, a good place to start is Excel at Life (http://www.excelatlife.com/). I find the relaxation MP3s there really helpful.

Lousicle
27-10-12, 08:30
:( aww huni, I'm emet too + I'm pregnant, I felt just like u when I was 6 weeks.. I did get morning sickness but because of my phobia, gp said was best to be put on tablets called cyclizine for it + they worked brilliantly! No one understood why I was getting so panicky, it got so bad I wouldn't leave my house or anything, but now I'm 30 weeks + still taking the tablets (for my own peace of mind) and I have been fine :) plus these are safe to use in pregnancy, I asked and researched so many times to make sure. But hey, u never know u might even be one of the lucky ones who never get it anyway ! :) good luck + congrats !

Tessar
27-10-12, 09:50
i admire peole who can have this phobia (which i do) and still have children. maybe i'm fortunate that i wasnt in a position to have them - otherwise it'd have been a fear right from the off. seriously big pats on the back all round. people dont understand it do they? took me 2 yrs to mention it to my therapist. she was quite shocked but then i explained i didnt want to contaminate my sessions with her.

Milliy
27-10-12, 11:59
:( aww huni, I'm emet too + I'm pregnant, I felt just like u when I was 6 weeks.. I did get morning sickness but because of my phobia, gp said was best to be put on tablets called cyclizine for it + they worked brilliantly! No one understood why I was getting so panicky, it got so bad I wouldn't leave my house or anything, but now I'm 30 weeks + still taking the tablets (for my own peace of mind) and I have been fine :) plus these are safe to use in pregnancy, I asked and researched so many times to make sure. But hey, u never know u might even be one of the lucky ones who never get it anyway ! :) good luck + congrats ! this is where I'm at I won't leave the house I'm hardly eating.. I'm crying and panicking all day everyday, this can't be good at all.. Think I need to see my gp ASAP

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

i admire peole who can have this phobia (which i do) and still have children. maybe i'm fortunate that i wasnt in a position to have them - otherwise it'd have been a fear right from the off. seriously big pats on the back all round. people dont understand it do they? took me 2 yrs to mention it to my therapist. she was quite shocked but then i explained i didnt want to contaminate my sessions with her.
I think 3 quarters of women will get morning sickness so I've got to assume I will but I'm sure my panicky state makes me feel slot worse... No ppl don't understand.. The amount of times someone's said to me "just get the first time over with and ill be fine" it's never so simple is it

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

Congratulations on your pregnancy. :) As for relaxation and meditation, a good place to start is. I find the relaxation MP3s there really helpful. I listening to some relaxation music last night to send me to sleep not sure if it helped or I was just tired lol.. Deffo going to check this out thank you

Tessar
31-10-12, 09:36
Milliy, how are you doing? i know i should probably post something positive but its a subject i struggle with. it's definitely not simple and as for "just get the first time over with and ill be fine" hmmmnnn as if! mind you, after admitting to my therapist how i felt (and what it was stopping me doing) we did talk about it. she MADE me even though i didnt want to. she offered me a whole load of statistics (mostly to do with fear of flying which was the biggest thing it was stopping me doing). since then i have flown and been on flights when (something nasty) happened to someone else on the flight. it wasnt great but i did survive. i limit the amount of time i event think about it. i have a whole thought pattern i used to follow (in which the thoughts got worse & worse). i dont allow myself down there anymore. i do yell "stop" and it stops me there & then in my tracks. so whilst none of us can control the situation, we can stop ourselves obsessing over it. so, actually i have managed to say something positive after all!