PDA

View Full Version : SSRI anti depressants and me

ricardo
27-10-12, 08:59
Firstly may I say even after a 10 days on here there is so much to read that I am nowhere near a quarter way through.
I notice most people are on various SSRI drugs and as with all drugs everyone reacts differently.

I have been on countless numbers of these drugs but even though I acept they only subdue symptoms they just don't work for me.I am drug sensitive (according to various GP's)
I read horror stories on here about various degrees of anxiety yet most people who open up still seem to have learnt the knack of hiding their symptoms and in many cases work, go out and about and though many days are worse than others they cope.

I have anxiety 24/7, panic disorder and OCD and nothing helps me. I am married and have a family and after seeing various doctors,psychiatists and councellors I spend most of the day on my own. My wife cares but believes i am a hopeless case and to keep her sanity goes out during the day with either our dogs or her few friens.
I have had this condition for over 30 years and yet ran a successful business at one time and when things got tough adapted the business to suit my illness.
We don't have financial worries yet i have next to no quality of life and feel like an outsider in my own family.

Currently I take propranol and trankamazin and that just keeps me balanced within my own home.
I have tried going out gradually doing a bit more each time and it works only for the next day i am back to square one and remain housebound. Any advice would be appreciated.

Iggy131313
28-10-12, 12:14
what drugs have you tried?

purplepie
28-10-12, 13:33
Have you read anything by Dr Claire Weeks? She is a good place to start. When did your anxiety, OCD etc start - was there a trigger? Is there anything you want to get off your chest or feel like you are hiding from anyone - get everything out in the open and don't be afraid to tell everyone who knows you how you feel, you will find out who your true friends are and they will be the ones to help you get better.
AS Iggy said, what drugs have you tried? I was never an advocate of any medication but I have found an old trycyclic anti depressant Clomipramine has helped me. I am sensiteve to SSRI's but it take some up and downs to figure out whats best.

What did you enjoy doing that you can't do now? Maybe start to write, draw or paint - nothing special, just what comes to mind and just for fun.

All the above things helped me, I am nowhere near what I was before the anxiety/thoughts/depression started but I am starting to improve. I suffered for over 10 years, so I know how debilatating it can be.

There are people here for you on this site, its really helped me.

Purplepie

ricardo
30-10-12, 17:20
what drugs have you tried?

I have been through nearly every drug over thirty years. I am drug sensitive and the side effects are worse than the symptoms, nearly every time,especially as I get older.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Have you read anything by Dr Claire Weeks? She is a good place to start. When did your anxiety, OCD etc start - was there a trigger? Is there anything you want to get off your chest or feel like you are hiding from anyone - get everything out in the open and don't be afraid to tell everyone who knows you how you feel, you will find out who your true friends are and they will be the ones to help you get better.
AS Iggy said, what drugs have you tried? I was never an advocate of any medication but I have found an old trycyclic anti depressant Clomipramine has helped me. I am sensiteve to SSRI's but it take some up and downs to figure out whats best.

What did you enjoy doing that you can't do now? Maybe start to write, draw or paint - nothing special, just what comes to mind and just for fun.

All the above things helped me, I am nowhere near what I was before the anxiety/thoughts/depression started but I am starting to improve. I suffered for over 10 years, so I know how debilatating it can be.

There are people here for you on this site, its really helped me.

Purplepie

Dr Claire weeks was the first book i read,Self help for your nerves.

Thanks for your guidance,but I have OBD as well and would be embarrassed to discuss those on an open forum. Funnily enough I can give good genuine advice to others,but not myself.

I would make a great pyschiatrist :)

If you read my intro, it will give you more insight and my latest thread I started.

if you wish to PM me it would be most welcome.