PDA

View Full Version : Neuro/Bio feedback - Retraining your brain to make it work for you

mikes
27-10-12, 12:55
Hey all,

There is an EEG subsection on the site but as far as I can tell, nothing to promote anything beyond having a one time mapping of your brain. It looks like the section has very little activity and Im hoping to start a decent discussion/debate on this to hear your views on this form of treatment.

Neurofeedback/Biofeedback.

Im starting to hear more and more about how effective this treatment can be with teaching you new ways to use your brain. We are aware of ourselves and can teach ourselves new tricks, but we are not aware of our own brains. For example, my brain doesnt think it is a brain, it thinks it is me, Mikes :)

The brain has no pain receptors, nerve endings, thats why if I was to have brain surgery I definitely wouldnt feel anybody prodding away at my brain. Since the brain is not self aware, that is a huge reason why most of us cannot simply reason ourselves out of our problems.

What Neuro/Bio feedback promotes, is a found way to over time teach you how to manage your brain in a way that suits your body better. It is a non invasive procedure, which simply involves wearing a rubber cap which is connected to a very complex computer. Doctors use the real time feedback to how you react to stresses to learn what your trigger points are, then slowly teach you how to gain proper control over your emotions, all with real time feedback. Ive heard that 15-20 sessions can work miracles for the worst suffering cases of panic disorder.

Google has plenty of good links to follow if you search for Neurofeedback or Biofeedback.

Im really considering trying this. I will phone my GP at the start of next week to see if this is available on the NHS. I doubt it will be, although I did find one company website that claim to provide their services through the NHS. But ultimately, I might be willing to pay £2000 for 20 sessions down at Warren Street UCL.

Thoughts anyone? It certainly makes sense to me, personally. I became interested in this after hearing the views of somebody that I dont know, but really respect. Somebody who used this service to increase his focus and output during a work day. If I had simply stumbled upon this on Google, I would have been way more skeptical.

Thats not to say Im not skeptical. But this is 2012, were sending robots out to war and supposed to be able to control the weather by 2020. How about a little something for anxiety too, right? I think of it as real time cognitive therapy, thats basically what it is to me :)