PDA

View Full Version : hormones and depression

tamla
10-08-06, 21:01
hi i just want to say after going to my gp for some time over my hot flushes she finally agreed for me to have a blood test taken well i got the results back today and as i guessed im going thru the menapause i couldent wait to go and see her because as always she kept sayin its anxiety so i was pleased to prove her wrong i told her that because i suffer with depression and anxiety it dosent mean every time i get an illness its got to be that anyway i asked her would this be the reason why i have been feelin the way i do with depression and stuff with my hormones all over the place anyway she reckons no but i read a story some time ago about a woman that was admitted in to a physcratric hospital with very bad depression she was there for some time when they finally realised because she was goin thru the menapause her hormones were allover the place they changed her on to horemone replacement and she was as right as rain has anyone else heared of this ur gone thru the same as i am convinced this as got alot to do with it .

t motown

jodie
10-08-06, 21:30
hi tamla

i totaly agree that hormones can affect us in huge ways my hormones are all over the place and always have been my monthlys arnt right and just come and go i get lots of hot flushes and just feel realy unwell most of the time with lots of funny palps and mood swings .
my doc has sead she will do a blood test on the 15th of this month so i will get to know if all this is down to homones or thyroid etc

jo x

kate
10-08-06, 22:27
Hi Tamla,

Funnily enough I was thinking of posting the exact same question.

I'm having hot flushes and my anxiety and depression are at an all time high.

How old are you both if you don't mind me asking? I'm very young, 44 LOL

Kate

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

polly daydream
11-08-06, 00:08
Hi Tamia, yes hormones can have lots to do with anxiety and depression, I have had both my ovaries removed and soon after I developed severe anxiety and also depression, drs don't know it all, even though they like to think they do. My HRT dr says it can cause anxiety and depression so there you go. I was absolutely fine before.

Take care,

Polly x

Wenjoy
11-08-06, 07:27
Hiya - esp.Kate - I am 46 and started the menopause a few years ago. Am on HRT but this last year I got my anxiety and panic attacks and mild depresssion back - I get hot flushes even tho Im on hrt and panics that Im not expecting which has left me sensitised and scared of panic - I have read lots of books and am trying to "float through" my anxiety moments but hot flushes are horrible coz they make you feel complete rubbish!!!! Love wenjoy x

suzanne
11-08-06, 09:26
Hi

I have always said it has to do with hormones, i dont have hot flushes but the day before my period my panic and anxiety is sky high, i dont even go out, and i am in a foul temper.

My doctor wont do a test he says no it is not, and im too young for the change. im 39.

My mum went through the change very young and went on HRT, which she says is a mirical pill, she suffered anxiety before taking it and has never had it since.

Maybe mine will stop one day. we live in hopes!!!!!!!!!![^]

s shaw

susie
11-08-06, 09:58
hi there im 53 and have sufferd with anxiety and panic sine my teens , im now going through the menapause and my anxiety is awfull i cant take hrt so i am trying natural hrt.even sitting here writting this my heart is pounding .my gp says its my age ,there are some good sites on the web about the change well worth a look take care suexx

tamla
12-08-06, 11:32
hi all and thanks for all your replys it makes me feel alot better that im not on my own feelin the way i do.anyway kate you asked how old i am ii will be 42 in january also before my gp agreed to a blood test she said i was abit to young for the menapause i told her no ones ever to yong for anythink i lost my best friend thru breast cancer she was 28 she told her she was to young for breast cancer as people say doctors are not always right anyway take care all and thankyou for all your replys love tamla:D

t motown

honeybee3939
12-08-06, 11:56
Hi Tam

Im 43 and i agree that hormones can have alot to do with anxiety, the week before my period my anxiety is alot worse, but a couple of days into my period the anxiety subsides, i am not getting any hot fushes, i always dread the week before i get a period i no i will be alot worse.

Love

Andrea
xxx

kate
12-08-06, 12:46
I don't know why people say you are too young to be going through the menopause as my GP said that the perimenopause can continue for many years until your periods stop completely [:O]

Wenjoy, how do you get on with HRT? I've bought some vitamins from Asda today which are supposed to be helpful for people of "our years" [:P], will give them a go!

My period is arriving approximately every 24 days, sometimes heavy, sometimes light and only lasting about 3 days.

Tamla, my best mate also had breast cancer at the age of 34. She was fobbed off for ages by her GP saying that she was too young. She finally had treatment and has just had her 5 year all clear from the hospital.

So very sorry to hear that you lost your best mate to breast cancer :(

Susie, I will look on the web for menopause sites, all info is helpful.

Kate xx

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"