PDA

View Full Version : Hormones and panic

mandshere2000
28-10-12, 19:44
Hi
Would love to hear from any lady's who are going through the menopause
and suffering with depression panic etc
I had my blood taken on Friday to see if I'm starting the menopause I'm 48.....or has anyone been told its hormones causing their panic anxiety
Manda

Angelai
29-10-12, 13:41
Hi

I've not been told that it's hormones causing/worsening my panic/anxiety, but... I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago (kept ovaries) and I have been getting gradually worse since then. I was reading last night that hormone drop-off and 'surgical' menopause usually starts within months (progesterone) and within 1-3 years (other hormones) so there could be a link for me?

I have seen quite a few posts on here about hormones and panic/anxiety/depression, I'm pretty sure there is some link there.

xx

Tessar
29-10-12, 14:29
Hello Manda. I am one of the ladies you are looking for. 49 and been in peri-menopause for about 3 years (i think). it seems like longer than that, i had to think hard then about how long it might have been.
i've had blood tests several times but my doctor never seems to give me a definitive answer. having checked online, i believe that's because there is no definite test for menopause. only things that can indicate menopause.
i believe that hormones play a big part for us ladies. there is no getting away from it. they make us what we are. when they are out of kilter things change. that includes physical things but also our minds. my mind operates totally differently at different times of the month. i get terrible anger. it becomes much more difficult to makes decisions. i cannot make important decisions when in the grip of my hormones, otherwise i get too rash. so i firmly believe hormones have alot to answer for. that also includes tears - very random sometimes on days that otherwise are fine. i didnt think i got anxious until recently, i was probably too scared to admit it, or put a label on it.

Zee
29-10-12, 14:34
I have been through the menopause and it was the peri meno phase which started off my anxiety. I had never before suffered with it, ever.. It used to come and go for a few years until the transition to post meno.. Since post I was ok for 3 years and then it came back.
I joined a site which deals with all stages of meno and was just amazed to see how mant ladies have same problem with panic.anxiety and depression issues during and after meno..

Annie0904
29-10-12, 14:35
I agree (I am 54) our hormones do affect anxiety and mood. I am on the other side of menopause now but the changes in my periods really affected my anxiety. I get hot flushes now and they make me more anxious. I used Serenity natural progesterone cream which did give me some help.

mandshere2000
29-10-12, 21:11
Hi
Thank you all for your replys
Would really like to chat anytime, think it helps when people know what the
other persons going through.....feeling really low at the minute......I'm normally
such a kind thought full person and literally would not hurt a fly, but the rages and anger
I've had a few times now are so frightening, and really scares me.....I do have a lot of stress caring for my disabled son, and my sleep has been awful for years, and has I've mentioned if it is the menopause that is affecting me, I'm also due my period in a weeks time and the pms symptoms seem to be getting worse the older I get, yet again hormones
Do hope there's some one who wants to chat
Manda

Annie0904
29-10-12, 21:29
This is a link for the progesterone cream http://www.progesterone.co.uk/

Candy6
29-10-12, 23:06
Hi, I am 51 and going through the menopause and have had problems with anxiety/panic. The trouble is, because I have suffered with this in the past, its difficult to know whether its due to the menopause or not. My problems started when my son was due to go off to uni and I totally freaked out at the thought of him leaving. A friend tells me that how you cope with the menopause depends on what you have to go through at the same time and I suppose its a time when there are a lot of changes/pressures for for lots of ladies. I found a good link to a site on here called power surge which was a very good site. Hope this helps.

Tessar
30-10-12, 11:05
I relate strongly to "I'm normally such a kind thought full person and literally would not hurt a fly, but the rages and anger I've had a few times now are so frightening". I have used prozac in the past to control pmt (initially it was prescribed for depression but i discovered it helped my pmt symptoms enormously).
i understandy why it scares you. in that "moment" of rage.... i almost feel like i could do anything. it is a split second & usually if i am taking the prozac, id ont reach those heights of anger. but it is a very unpleasant sensation because you do know inside this is not "normal you".
sounds like you have lots going on and sleep not being good wont help. i'm the same with pms symptoms getting worse the older I get. i didnt realise it would be like that. at least i have something that can help.
the other probelm i experience is sometimes my cycle is all over the show; one time 3 weeks then may be 7. i got stuck in pmt for about a month recently (that's when the rage took over really badly so idecided the prozac was my only course of action). i'd tried so hard not to go back on it but really hormones arent something we can help. they just do what they do to us.
my doctor did talk about hrt but i dont really want to go that route if i can avoid it. meanwhile we're treating the symptoms (i.e. pmt with prozac) and he's asked me to keep a diary of the symptoms. we can then make sure prozac is helping. if not we will look at alternatives
the more you read, i think you will find reassurance from many sources. i have read plenty on menopause but still find out things i didnt know could be atributed to it. it affects my moods in terms of emotions too. i get very emotional indeed. i have some days where and ridiculous thing can set me off. but luckily i am able to recognise what is happenening, otherwise i'd probably think i was going mad (or that peole around me, particularly my partner) would think i'm going mad!!

mollymalloy
31-10-12, 13:18
Hi I am 42 going on 43 and have experienced many strange physical and mental issues for about 3 years now. I blame it all on peri-menopause :D When I'm having a bad day I sometimes Google '"the 35 symptoms of peri-menopause" just to remind me that that is all it is. Anxiety and feeling of doom is the ones I struggle with the most, and they are on that list with so many other symptoms. I do keep track of my cycle and try to mentally prepare myself so that I am aware of my emotions and fears and try not to let them over take me.

mandshere2000
31-10-12, 18:51
Hi

Annie.....thank you so much for link on progesterone

Molly......yes the anxiety and feelings of doom have been particularly bad this last month it's so frightening so know how you feeling sending :hugs:

Louise.....Agree totally that if we have stress in our life's it will make the symptoms worse for us, and yes I to have suffered with panic/ anxiety for many years so it's hard to know if it's from the menopause......thank you for the site power surge will take a look
Zee.....have messaged you

Tessar.....so weird reading your reply because you sound so much like myself
I also take Prozac and have done since 2004 it was originally for depression, not sure if it's helping much at the moment though, but I'm to scared to change
The anger really does scare me because like you it literally comes from no where, or I can be the opposite end and cry at the slightest thing

Angelia.....yes I agree also that there is a definitley a connection between hormones and panic etc
Once again thank you all for you replys
Manda

Tessar
06-11-12, 09:02
Mandshere: I had Prozac for depression too; i'd come off it in summer so i had it to fall back on in winter & thats how i discovered it was helping with pmt anger. the anger would come back with a vengence. also i'd get much worse periods too, although on reflection now i realise this was probably peri-menopause. i felt earlier this year that prozac wasnt helping so came off it. i've been back on it a few weeks now though as the anger was awful. finally it's starting to work i think, though I need to keeps my wits about now as i think pmt anger is starting to rear it's ugly head.

susan1963
06-11-12, 11:29
hi i am 49 and i hve had anxiety for many years on and off but for the last year or so my anxiety levels have peaked again, i also get integestion, mild acid reflux, (which ive never suffered with before) also over the last 2 years ive been suffering with heat hives which i get every day and worse in the week before my period, ive had the hormones tested but they came back normal (twice tested) my ferritin levels keep getting low, apparantly due to the heavier periods i get, my periods are regular to the day every month, just waiting for it all to go away now lol :blush:

mandshere2000
06-11-12, 16:11
Hi
Susan
Do you take anything for your low ferritin, I'm off to buy some now
from the chemist, my periods are so heavy and seem to be getting worse, my ferritin
was low last time it was tested