PDA

View Full Version : Goings meds free and don't know where to start

dread
28-10-12, 22:17
Hi all
I've suffered with anxiety attacks for about 4 years (officially, anyway) and at my earlier stages they were extremely severe. I'd been taking 60mg Citalopram for 3, or just over 3 years, and tapered down. I've been off them for about 4 weeks now. Last week I had an anxiety attack, which hasn't happened in a good 4 months. It was manageable, considering how bad they used to be, but has made me realise that I could do with a bit of something to help. I also get a bit of depression, although I think this is because of the Anx, I don't really know.

When I was 15-16, my mum bought me rescue remedies and i remember that helping me, but that's the only thing I've ever tried aside from the meds. I don't know if it's safe to use any natural remedies yet either, and how long it would take the citalopram to completely leave my system, although I am assuming it has by now.
Is it worth talking to my GP about natural remedies? I've read a lot about natural remedies and substitutes, and just don't know where to start...I guess I'm just looking for any advice, since I desperately don't want to go down the meds route again!

paranoidtree
29-10-12, 10:08
Bach's rescue remedy is safe to take even with citalopram so i don't think you should worry about taking this now and it could well help to take the edge off any anxiety you have at the moment. it is natural when stopping meds to have a period of adjustment both physically and emotionally.

if you are unsure about taking any kind of supplements maybe try other things such as burning oil, having massages, meditation (you can get some good guided ones). have you also had any therapy as this can be really useful in helping combat anxiety. It can also be worth speaking with your doctor.

I saw a nutritionist about a month ago to talk about how my diet could support my mental wellbeing so would recommend this too as she put together a tailored eating plan plus supplements for me based on what information i gave her. A strong B vitamin complex plus Omega 3 could be helpful for you.

Good luck, i think you are brave for making this decision. There is lots of information on here too as lots of others have tried different things - just go with what feels right for you.

BobbyDog
29-10-12, 10:44
My son has been taking St Johns Wort for his anxiety about 2-3 months now and the positive changes in him are immense. He had heightened anxiety and depression before, for the majority of the time, he has only had 2 panic attacks since he started taking the medication and his mood is so much better, which is a big improvement. He is only 16 and too young for pharmaceuticals.

dread
29-10-12, 20:06
Thanks for the replies. I have had a course of CBT and that was absoloutely amazing for me. I've had some rescue remedies today and I noticed a change instantly, following a bit of a spike of anx coming out of the cinema (usual occurance.)

My diet, in all honesty, is terrible, so maybe I should start there and follow up with supplements, and some GP advice :) As for braveness - I dunno about being brave! I think anyone dealing with anx and depression is brave, I suppose I just want to know what it feels like to be 'me' without needing medication...we shall see!