PDA

View Full Version : dont know if im doing it right?

claireuk
29-10-12, 15:39
hello i dont know if im doing things right.Im slowly starting to go out to local shops now without my wheelechair to hold on to but im going in the shops early when theres hardly anybody about and then going for longer walks away from my house with my dad.Ive been doing this a few months now but with no real decrease in symptoms.I also went out today in the car with my dad has i dont drive and for the first time in months i sat in the front as normally i would have sat in the back or layed down in the back seat.I just went to some other local shops and actually got out and went in the spar shop which i hadnt been in ages.Then i went for a walk just a short walk so i could get used to walking about somewhere else further from my house.I just dont know if im doing it right as im not seeing any improvements im actually feeling worse.Is it cos im not staying out long enough is shops?or not pushing myself to go further in car.I do have symptoms they are there all the time and this afternoon i can feel my anxiety levels rising and inner tremors.I thought by now i would have seen some kind of relief but im still very anxious.Can anybody help me please?

claire x

Aaron_southcoast
29-10-12, 17:05
Remember its not a competition, it sounds like you've done great so far by getting out and about. Try not to think about what you havnt done instead concentrate and praise yourself for what you have managed to do.

Ive realised the more you sit and think about your anxiety the more anxious you can become so if you start to feel anxious perhaps find something to distract you from it.

Theres no time limit for getting better, its a gradual process and everyone is different. Take one day at a time then one week, one month etc.

Im sure the other members here will have lots of advice for you.

Good luck

BobbyDog
29-10-12, 18:09
How well you are doing Claire, repeatedly exposing yourself to the situations and places you fear most, eventually you will look back and wonder what you were scared of. The panic attacks and anxiety will be in the past. It takes time, I am doing exactly the same thing as you, I go in my local shop every day, sometimes I panic and sometimes I wonder what all the fuss is about because I feel confident and comfortable(most days I panic). But repeated exposure is the only way to get over it. Be proud, you have come a long way.:D

claireuk
29-10-12, 18:47
Thanks for ur support means alot.Really helps coming on here getting advice and encouragement.

luv claire xx