PDA

View Full Version : Derealisation - how to get rid of it?

hannah26
30-10-12, 18:42
Hello everyone,
I hope you're all ok?

Ok so over the last 4-6 weeks I have had intense boughts of heightened anxiety brought on by new medication, under the advice of my Dr I am now off of the meds. All but one symptom has gone, derealisation has managed to linger around and it just won't go even if I don't feel anxious!
I try my hardest to stay calm but I'm so tired, I have been trying to distract myself but its so hard sometimes. I keep practising my cbt training and going over my mantra " its just anxiety there is nothing wrong with you" and I know that in my mind and my heart there iis nothng wrong apart from panic but everytime I think positive thoughts other nasty/scary ones keep popping in like "oh somethings really wrong" "you're going crazy" "everythings wrong the worlds different" and its makes it so hard to get over it and not freak out!
I know that I don't want to repress the thoughts because that will make them worse but I'm having difficulty letting them pass!!
Does anyone have any tips on accepting these thought and letting them go!? How do I not focus on them and obsess over them making them worse than what they are which are just thoughts!
It scares me and I feel unsafe and vulnerable in my own home because it all feels wrong!
Any advice would be fantastic!

Thank you
Hannah x x

Mountainclimber
30-10-12, 19:08
When i used to get bad thoughts , i would say it was the black dog barking at me. I would tell the black dog im not listening to him today and to go back in his kennel. and guess what it worked for me, you could try it, Good luck

02-01-13, 23:31
Hi Hannah,

For the past few mths I have also experienced this direalisation feeling and in the past few weeks have started to come good again with great progress and I just wanted to share what worked for me. The best thing to know is that it's just a side effect/feeling created from anxiety, nothing more. It's our minds way of trying to block out any anxiety or stress and protect ourselves however we can be left with this derealisation sensation which feels horrible. The best thing I found was telling myself not to be scared of this feeling and not to be scared of anxiety because it's just that a feeling as we feel love and happiness. and as it sounds like you already know if we become scared of anxiety and try to block it out it only gets worse. I found facing it head on, actually thinking about it and telling myself. I know I'm here, I know I'm perfectly fine, i still know that in the morning i get up shower, brush my teeth and need to be somewhere at a organised time so this proves im not loosing my mind so this is just my mind dealing with a stressful or an anxious time in my life.
For me I know I became stressed due health issues and when that passed I still felt the same 'displaced' sensation but that was because I'd become anxious about feeling anxious :))

Just be positive, keep doing your everyday things because stopping them will only give you more time to worry and create more anxiety and barriers. Accept that this is just an unpleasant time and it will pass. You are most defantly not going crazy xx I also experienced this 10 years ago and overcame it then but I feel alot mentally stronger now and I no longer feel scared by the thought of this feeling.

Take care
Xx

Roxy79
03-01-13, 00:26
What is derealisation?

04-01-13, 00:46
Hi,

Derealisation is a side effect of extreme anxiety where you feel displaced from the world. Ie you know your here but everything around you feels like its not. As in you know your a solid object but everything else for some reason feels fake or not just as solid. Alot of people describe it as feeling like your in a computer game or like youve taken a drug and are spaced out, on a trip.

Thanks