PDA

View Full Version : Increased Dose Side Effects

tonkaboy
30-10-12, 19:59
Folks,

Just looking for a bit of reassurance. I've been on Fluoxetine 20mg for about 2 months when my GP suggested going up to 40mg. That was about 3 weeks ago and until this week I didn't really notice. However, this week I've been incredibly tense and anxious. I seem to remember last time I took Fluox, the side effects can be quite delayed before they hit you. Anyone else had similar experiences?

I was reluctant to increase the dose as I remember the jump from 20 to 40 made a big difference last time, I just can't remember if there was a significant delay.

Any advice welcome.

Andy

Katie22
05-11-12, 17:26
Hi tonkaboy,

I know you asked for advice....but this sounds like i'm asking you...sorry

When I went back to my docs, two weeks ago she told me to up from 20mg to 40mg but I have only tken one 40mg dose.....i'm really scared of what the side effects will be. And can you tell me how long it took for the Fluoxetine to make a difference to you.

k77be
05-11-12, 18:37
Wow, this could literally be me. I moved from citalopram to flux after it stopped working for me. I spent a month on 20mg but was still anxious. Doctor moved me up to 40mg two weeks ago, the past few days my anxiety has really gotten worse. I was on the verge of giving up on the pills last night. So I guess I'm the same as you tonkaboy regarding the anxiety. Not sure how long to give it before seeing the doctor about an alternative to flux.

pretoria
05-11-12, 19:13
Hey guys, yes there can be a slight delay to side effects while the drug builds up it's levels in the brain though every users experiences of SSRI's are different and every time you go on them it might not always be a repeat of how is was last time :/

SSRI's unfortunately aren't an exact science but they can take a good 2-4 weeks if not more before you start to feel the benefit from them. Also if you are upping the dose you may develop some side effects again as you have gone from a level you have grown tolerant of to a higher dose. Your body need time to adjust as the levels of serotonin build up again.

Give it some time and I am sure you will start to notice the benefits once more, it can be an anxious time I know just hang in there!

Nathan x

Piano
08-11-12, 09:52
Dear tonkaboy, how are you doing? I upped my dose three weeks ago from 10 mg to 20 mg. Yesterday I was really anxious, and then I got depressed about it. Those blips are so discouraging.

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

Dear Pretoria, how long have you been on fluoxetine? Thank you for you reassuring post:)

Piano
18-11-12, 22:18
Tonkaboy, how are you doing?

Supersal1984
19-11-12, 07:05
I have been on 10 mg for 11 weeks, it was awful at first and I remember the first and fifth week ring the worst. I seemed to settle, but I still got bouts of depression. I upped the dose, on doctor's advice on sat 10th. I was fine for the first week, but now for the last three days my anxiety is sky high. Insomnia, shaky, cannot sit still, sickness! I just hope the side effects of upping the dose wear off soon! I have been through so much in the last five months. I just want to feel better and wondering if I ever will x

Piano
19-11-12, 07:22
I am at the fifth week after upping the dose now. The anxiety has settled (I hope!) but I have waves of depression. I also wonder if I'll ever be normal again. I feel so unmotivated, I have to drag myself to do the dishes. I can't help wondering how my state would be like now if I hadn't started taking fluoxetine....

Supersal, sending you hugs:hugs:

Supersal1984
19-11-12, 07:29
Aw thanks Piano. I think leave it until 6 weeks and see how you feel. You had some good weeks I remember when you first upped the dose! It is so frustrating. Sometimes I wish I hadn't bothered too x

sparkle2012
19-11-12, 21:19
Hi guys I'm on my 2nd week of 40mg but havnt takenthis for 3yrs doc told me to go straight in at 40 I'm getting all the horrible sideaffects, feeling sick, no motivation, anxiety, thinking everyone Hates me, not eating, feeling down and not normal, usually all of this in the daytime by about 5pm I start to feel ok until nxt strange I feel for u all and know how u feel bck to docs Wednesday for me so will see what she says x