PDA

View Full Version : The hot weather

Jen84
07-06-04, 15:17
Hello i was just wondering do any of you panic more or feel uncomfortable in hot weather like today!?
I dont like it, i seem to over-heat very easily.
Does anyone have any good tips on staying cool?
Jenny x

Meg
07-06-04, 15:22
Portable fans, damp shirt, loads of cool drinks to keep well hydrated as well as cool , air conditioned car, run wrists under cold water - cools the blood.

Meg

seh1980
07-06-04, 17:21
Hi Jenny,

I have the same problem as you - I do feel uncomfortable and more paniky when I'm hot. I don't usually have this problem when I'm outside but moreso when I'm inside somewhere and it's really stuffy. It makes me feel like there's not enough oxygen and I can't breathe properly. Not a very nice feeling, huh? I always carry a bottle of water with me as I find this helps and I dress in layers so that I can always be comfortable.
Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

diana
07-06-04, 19:11
Hi All,

I think we all may have a degree of discomfort when it comes to the heat outdoors or indoors.

However I would have to say I am more likely to feel uncomfortable or even get panicky inside where it is excessively hot.

Like Sarah I get shortness of breath or feel as though there is not enough oxygen.

Hey!!!! but Meg has listed some great suggestions on how to stay cool. So write them down and pull them out when you get uncomfortable. I know I`ll be. ;)

Thanks for the ideas Meg.

Here`s to everyone keeping cool. :)

Take care all,

Diana xxx

Jen84
07-06-04, 19:43
thank you for the ideas and im glad im not the only one who feels this way xxJennyxx

Laurie28
08-06-04, 12:04
Hey!! What hot weather????

Bonnie Scotland doesn't know the meaning of the word!!!!!

Lucky

Tessie28
08-06-04, 12:39
Hi girls,
you want to try it with the added bonus of a plaster cast on your arm :DI don't think I have ever been so hot in my life!! Still could be worse, could be leg or both arms and at least I'm having a good day.
love Tess
PS only 69 and a half hours to go [not that i'm counting]:D

april tones
08-06-04, 16:25
i hate the hot weather sometimes, the way you never feel clean and dry because your always hot and tacky and i hate the lack of oxeygen thing to, that makes me feel anxious and i take my inhaler but its probably not my asthma its just stuffy air. But its better than dull winter, even though it was my babys first xmas i started to get unwell then so that part isnt good, love april x

apriltones

apm
08-06-04, 16:51
I've been feeling exactly that this afternoon- like I'm short of breath. In a meeting, almost sent me into a panic- felt blood drain and quicken of heartbeat. Got a drink of water, controlled it. Felt like I was at a distance from things too- very strange. Better now, though. Off to Gym in a mo for work out and massage! Bliss!!

Alex
xxx

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

sarah
08-06-04, 17:00
Hiya

Alex - Nice one for controlling it! Not easy when you are stuck in a meeting is it?

Lucky - You should try living in good old Surrey..we are practically melting here, ive got a thermometer in the garden and its 27 degrees in the shade at 5pm!!!!! Glad I didnt look earlier I think I would have had a fit...lol

love sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

diana
08-06-04, 17:14
Hiya Alex,

GREAT COPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did grande. ;)

Glad you are feeling better now though.

HEY!!!! enjoy that workout and massage okay? ;)

Tess.........

Glad to hear you are having a good day. ;)

Only "69.5" more hours ey? But who`s countiung right?????? LOL........ :-D

Apriltones.......

I know what you mean. I hate that hot, tacky feeling too. :(

I always come back in smelling like a wet dog. EWWWWWW!!!!!! LOL........... :)

The lack of oxygen also gets me anxious. :(

Lucky...........

I live in the USA, and in the state of Maryland and everyday this week it seems that we will be in the upper 80`s to low 90`s in temperature with loads of humidity.

I hate it, plus we have those awful 'CICADAS'. Do you all have them?

Here`s to hoping everyone is cool and comfortable.

Take care all,

Diana xxx

Meg
08-06-04, 18:00
Do remember that when it's hot we need to release heat and our bodies do it by circulating blood round a touch faster as well as by sweating etc..

This does mean that our heart rates increase and we breathe a bit faster to allow all these natural changes to occur . This does not indicate anxiety or imminent panic even though teh feelings are similar .

Each time this summer this happens please do underreact and firstly go and drink an extra glass of water. This helps with keeping you hydrated as well as cooling you down plus giving you time to assess and decide this is nothing of concern .

Anyone on BP meds get up slower than usual, as if you're dehyrated your BP may be lower than customary.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

nomorepanic
08-06-04, 19:07
I hate it !! It has been horrid today. Feeling like you can't breathe etc. I had to take half day holiday and come home from work cos I slept so badly last night, that I felt dreadful at work. I have even got a fan on the bedside table to keep me cool.

Meg - was that comment about blood pressure relevant to me having a high one? Mine seems to be high at the moment and I have to see the doc tomorrow who wants to double the dose if it is still high - aggghhhhh!

Nicola

nomorepanic
08-06-04, 20:15
Meg - I take that back!! I just did my blood pressure this evening and it is 115/78!! It was 127/92 Monday.

Nicola

Meg
08-06-04, 22:26
Brilliant readings Nic..no need for adjusting meds at all even with Monday one.

Ensure you're taking more water than you usually drink - not pop , not tea but water. Cordials in it is ok.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Tessie28
09-06-04, 10:17
Hi Nicola,
that's good - well done you[^]. Mine is down considerably now but still about 146/90. Still when I had my first panic attack it was something like 200/102[:I]. Have you bought one of the monitors? I've got the one you put on your arm [as oppose to wrist]. I did take it a lot at first but not so much now. However, it is great to be able to chart it for a week before i see my Doc.
love Tess

jo-jo
09-06-04, 18:21
Hi folks

Yes the hot weather makes me pretty anxious too. Walking around shopping yesterday made me feel like I couldn't get enough air either, then I ended up having butterflies then started thinking about my stomach then decided in my usual panicky way that I felt sick and then fled from a department store - not very pleased with myself I can tell you!

Meg - thanks for the great hot weather tips!

Diana - I don't know how you survive the heat!

Love Jo xxx
Love

nomorepanic
09-06-04, 19:53
Meg/Tess

Bad news I am afraid:( Went to docs and he has doubled the does from 2-4mg. Meg knows what I am like taking new drugs or increased doses so I am not happy. I only have 9 x 2mg left and I wanted to feel good for the hols from 21st June. Aggghh - docs said the side-effects will be minimal by doubling the dose but last time I did (with a different drug) I was very breathless and felt dizzy.

Not what I needed but what can I do - he wants to see the bottom reading lower than 92 - 95 which it has been recently.

I guess I will try the new dose this weekend and just hope I settle down in time for the hols.

Meg - don't suppose it would be a good idea to take one every-other-day till after hols would it - just so I stay on 2mg for another 2 weeks?

Nicola

sarah
09-06-04, 20:35
hiya Nic

Meg is away at the mo and i cant give you advice on bp tabs. My advice however is to ring your doc up tomorrow and explain the situation and see what he says.
If you are sure he wont give you the answer you want try asking your friendly local pharmacist?...lol

take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

nomorepanic
09-06-04, 21:50
Sarah

Yeah Meg emailed me to say she was away.

I think I will go tomorrow and leave a note for the doc and just ask for another few 2mg tablets to get me over the hols before I up it to 4mg. Don't want to spoil the holiday that I have saved up for this last year. lol

Nicola

april tones
10-06-04, 15:17
hi all, its reassuring that alot of people get breathless in the heat and its not just me, or asthma, as there is ni point taking inhaler if its normal. Thanks for advice on hot weather too, meg. Real useful xx

apriltones

Meg
10-06-04, 15:51
'he wants to see the bottom reading lower than 92 - 95 '

He's quite right - The national guidelies are 140 /90 and the diastolic is more crucial as it reflects the pressure when the heart is at rest ..

If you do stay on 2mgs till then, you could take a wrist portable machine with you to the Spa and do all the meditation classes etc and keep a BP diary to show yourself that these types of treatment do or do not work for you ...if they do , you could resolve to make time to keep it up at home.

Meg

nomorepanic
10-06-04, 19:38
Meg

Great idea - I will take my monitor and then I can see what the readings are after some relaxation. I am thinking of trying yoga and pilates this time as last year I went for all the fat burning classes!

Nicola

Meg
10-06-04, 21:18
Yes, that sounds great .

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

diana
11-06-04, 21:45
Meg,

Thanks for the hot weather info.

I did`nt know these things.

Always good to be armed with good info. ;)

Nic...............

GREAT NEWS on the BP reading.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hope all goes well with the upped dose.

Have a great time at the spa dear.

Hoping everyone is well and keeping cool.;)

Take care all.

Love Diana xxx

P.S. Jo, no need to feel bad about yourself. It happens to all of us. ;)

As far as coping with the heat, as you can imagine I spend as much time in the air condition as possible. :-D

Take care dear.

Love Diana xxx

stimpy
17-06-04, 12:08
Good luck Nic

I hope you start to feel better soon.

I notice everyone has caught my phobia of extreme weather.
Hang in there and try to stay calm and cool.
Just remember only a few more days to go and then the nights start getting darker by 2 mins every day.

Great news for us heat-o-phobs not so good for people who dislike the dark.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Lilith
17-06-04, 16:04
I too feel panicky in hot, humid weather. Everyone here seems to have hit the nail on the head - the heat and humidity cause problems like labored breathing that mimic a panic attack, which in turn brings on the panic. One of my worst attacks was in Florida on a very hot, sticky day. The suggestions for keeping cool sound good. Maybe carrying a bag with water, a little fan, etc., would be helpful.