PDA

View Full Version : Pain in throat when breathing in...

LostinThought
31-10-12, 17:56
For the last week or so I've noticed I have pain in my throat whenever I breathe in. It feels like it's in the middle and lower part of my throat, just under my adam's apple, and it is almost like something shoots upwards through my throat as I breathe in and hits a wall. Hard to describe but it's a very uncomfortable feeling. It feels like a pulling, bruised sensation.

I had a cold or some kind of infection last week, and it seem to have cleared itself up. I noticed the pain and the cold appeared pretty much at the same time, so perhaps they are related.

I am also taking voice/singing classes as University, so it could be related to that also. Perhaps I have strained or pulled a muscle??

It is mostly when I breathe in, but I notice sometimes if I sigh, burp, or look up and left, the pain comes a second or two afterwards. I do not have a cough whatsoever, but I find I am getting a very dry throat lately, and have to keep drinking water. My lymph nodes in my neck also feel a bit bigger than usual.

Anybody have any ideas on what this might be? I'm tempted to go to a doctor, but don't really know if it warrants a visit. It's not like I've coughed any blood or anything...yet. It is worrying me though. Comments, thoughts? Thank you xx

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

I think I may be breathing too deeply actually, and that's what's causing it. Because whenever I notice my breathing I have a tendency to breathe deeper? I've tried just relaxing and letting my body breathe for me and the pain seems noticeably diminished.

GunMetal
31-10-12, 18:08
Hi i get pain in my throat all the time. When i'm anxious i tend to breathe from my chest and i also tense my throat without realising, which causes throat pain and also creates a suffocating feeling. I can't really suggest anything to you as i am yet to find a way to stop this. But i recognise i'm doing it now and try to relax my throat, once i stop overbreathing and chest breathing, the pain goes away.

Not very helpful i know but just wanted to let you know you're not alone!!

Jenni x

jj1987
29-01-13, 23:58
I realize it's been a little while since you guys posted, but I just wanted to say I have the same thing and have had it at varying degrees for about 3 years now. I also notice is from time to time, although less intensely, when I burp and move my head/neck around and very occasionally & very slightly when I swallow. It's mainly and the most uncomfortable when I inhale deeply. I also have a habit of breathing with my neck/chest and not my belly. When I do breathe with my belly, i either don't get the pain, or it is much less, but i also feel like i'm not taking as deep of a breath when I breathe that way. I also suffer from pretty bad acid reflux and have wondered if perhaps this is partly to blame. Although I do notice it more and it is much worse when I am stressed/anxious. Do you also notice it when you yawn? It seems if I can keep my mind off of it, it doesn't bother me so much, but once I consiciously take a deep breath I notice it again. I also get a similar pain if I cough a certain way. I have had 2 ENT's scope me through my nose and down my throat and both of said everything looks normal. I have been diagnosed with muscle tension dysphonia, due to stress and possibly from post nasal drip/acid reflux. Which basically means I start to lose my voice when I'm stressed. I went months last year with being unable to talk. Then it seemed to get much better and now it's back again and the pain is back worse too. So I am inclined to think it's mostly stress/anxiety related, but there are times when I feel completely happy/relaxed and it still happens so I don't know. I haven't really brought it up with any of my doctors because #1, it's kind of hard for my to explain and the one time I started to bring it up with one of the ent's, he said i must have a low grade infection and threw antibiotics at me. It's not that kind of pain though, not anything like a sore throat I would get with a cold or strep. But I took the antibotics anyway, just in case and they of course did nothing, like i expected. It has been so bad these last few days that I have seriously been considering going to my primary care doctor and just seeing what she thinks it may be, but not sure if i will do that or not. If she thinks it is anxiety related, i don't want to take anything right now because I am breastfeeding. and if she thinks its reflux related, i really don't want to be scoped all the way to my stomach because i have a huge fear of sedation/anesthesia :unsure: so i'm avoiding it all costs. May I ask, how long this pain has been happening for you? I will say that it was significantly worse when I was pregnant last year and experiencing horrible reflux, which made me think that maybe it is the reflux. Which I still have terribly, but am now on strong meds for it and it still happens. So not sure what to think, but you're definitely not alone.

Jennaxox
16-07-13, 17:54
I get this pain in my throat
Mainly on my right side, I sometimes just
Get it in my throat or sometimes it goes from my groat up to my eye its really worrying
Me but it doesn't happen all the time, I also suffer with anexiety I just hope its nothing serious? Opinions please? And does anyone else get it where it travels to your eye/head thanks x