PDA

View Full Version : Lymphoma worries getting worse

justina
01-11-12, 13:17
So, together with the itching and the palpable collar bone lymph node, I now have had a dry cough for three weeks. It went away for a few days, then it came back. I know this too can be a symptom of lymphoma. I also feel like a chest pain when I breathe and I am afraid it is caused by swollen lymph nodes in my chest.

I will NOT se my GP about it yet, I really am too scared, I get so tense when I know I have an appointment there, I can't think of anything else. I prefer to wait and see if this cough will go away on it's own (I don't believe that but I hope it will).

I am really so scared about this. I have seen my GP a month ago about the itching, she said it was stress related. She checked my lymph nodes and didn't find anything. The collar bone lymp node is nothing you can feel by only touching me as she did, I feel it when I look for it, it is like a big pea, moveable and not very hard. But it is there, and on the other side of my neck there is nothing.
Also the itching being stress related, I don't know, I mean sometimes I am completely calm and start to itch anyway.
And now the dry cough.
I hate this.
I know you will tell me to go back to my GP but I will not, not right now at least. I just needed to write this...:scared15:

almamatters
01-11-12, 13:24
Hi Justina I know where you are coming from really I do. I have 3 swollen nodes behind ear , lump on collar bone (which they think is a lipoma) swollen node groin. I was terrified of showing the doctor my lump collar bone but did eventually and am now due to have ultrasound next week :ohmy: I am terrified but I have got have it done as I have a lot of pain in that area. I know you are not ready but only your doctor can give you peace of mind. :hugs:

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

forgot have very itchy skin legs arms and throat

kirstynic
01-11-12, 13:28
I know how you are feeling my worry is lymphoma at the moment and I have a few symptom. The main one being lymph nodes. One behind my ear is swollen like pea size if has been for 2 months, the doctor sent me for a scan and the sonographer found more swollen nodes in the same side down my neck. I have to go back for another scan in a month.

I went back to the doctor the other day and he couldn't feel the one behind my ear tho I still can. I know it seems to be more easily felt some days then others. He felt my neck and said it just feels like normal swollen nodes that would be like that if you had an infection. He said one of my tonsils looked inflammed. He told me to just be aware of any symptoms like the lymph node getting bigger, losing weight night sweats.

I have also got a constant ache below my rib on the left side, this is exactly where the spleen is and that causes pain if enlarged and gets enlarged with lymphoma :( I am scared and worried but like you don't want to go to the doctor again.

Just so you know you are not alone x

justina
01-11-12, 13:38
Oh thank you so much to both of you for answering me. It doesn't make me less scared but I do feel less lonely with my thoughts and my fears.
I know that night sweats and weight loss are common symptoms, too, I don't have that (yet?:ohmy:).

Why did your doctors send you both for scans of the lymph nodes? Was it just because you were so worried or is this a common procedure? Are even slightly enlarged (pea sized) nodes a symptom of lymphoma?

Now I feel I will never go back to my GP, what if I too have to do a scan? I would not survive the scan probably, my nerves would kill me before any illness does:wacko:

kirstynic
01-11-12, 13:44
You are stronger then you think it's amazing where strength comes from when we need it.

The doctor wasn't worried about it at first he said he thought it was a cyst or lymph node and to go back if it grew then just before I left he said if you want you could get a ultrasound.

I have gone lymphoma mad researching about it reading patient stories, I even feel my rib ache when I get up half asleep at night and its the first thing I think of:(

justina
01-11-12, 14:06
I have gone lymphoma mad researching about it reading patient stories, I even feel my rib ache when I get up half asleep at night and its the first thing I think of:(

It might be epidemic because I have it too (lymphoma madness):wacko:
I bet we read the same patient stories and I also found a lymphoma forum...and of course there everyone has it so it looks so common when you read about their experiences...

I do think rhough that if your spleen was so much enlarged to actually cause you pain, you would be able to feel it with your hands. Probably your pain is muscular, ribs and the muscles and tissues around them can cause a lot of strange symptoms!

almamatters
01-11-12, 14:39
Think you are right about Lymphoma epidemic, I have been so obsessed with liver and bowel cancer and brain tumours that I had not considered it, until I read something in a magazine and that was enough to start me off. I have lost weight but GP said this is because I am not eating enough due to stress. No night sweats though! I do have all the other symptoms though , but just had blood tests which came back normal. Pretty sure lymphoma can show in a blood test??

justina
01-11-12, 14:45
Think you are right about Lymphoma epidemic, I have been so obsessed with liver and bowel cancer and brain tumours that I had not considered it, until I read something in a magazine and that was enough to start me off. I have lost weight but GP said this is because I am not eating enough due to stress. No night sweats though! I do have all the other symptoms though , but just had blood tests which came back normal. Pretty sure lymphoma can show in a blood test??

I am not a doctor, but I have read many lymphoma stories now:blush: and it seems like this: lymphoma in itself doesn't show in a blood test, there is no such thing as a "lymphoma marker", BUT what usually happens is the lymphoma gives you other problems that do show in the blood test, you can get anemic or get low platelets and other stuff. So a normal blood test is a very good sign.
Mine were normal, too, by the way.

almamatters
01-11-12, 14:50
perhaps we should both be reassured then, can't stop worrying though .

lo89
01-11-12, 15:05
I am another member of the lymphoma worry club! Like everyone has said, I also have a swollen node (in my groin) ribcage pain in the lower left side. I have also had normal bloods, no night sweats or any other symptom, but I just can't shake this off. I hate it!

almamatters
01-11-12, 15:08
Hi lo89, does your groin node hurt?

kirstynic
01-11-12, 15:51
I haven't had a CBC since earlier in the year before I had a laporoscopy and they never said anything was wrong but was quite a while ago. I hate having blood tests well waiting for results, I have had slightly elevated WBC in the past and questioned lymphoma or leukaemia then but doctor seems to think alot of the results would be more then just a little out......

almamatters
01-11-12, 15:58
I'm sure they would be quite a bit out to be honest, it has got to be a good thing when you get nearly or normal blood results. Your wbc can be elevated due to infections and things I think. Mine was high last year when I had a ear infection

robin321
01-11-12, 16:05
I had a swollen lymph node in my neck last Nov-February.
I am sure I made it worse by checking it, literally 100's of times a day. And also by checking to move it, etc...

I did see a Dr, who wasn't concerned and wanted me to come back 1 month later (this was after having it a month). I forced the issue of getting a scan, and actually paid for it and went that day.

The scan itself is not difficult. You have remember that they won't tell you anything, because they are not allowed to. My wife, who also has a swollen node, had 2 ultrasounds done (at her instance). She obsessed over the amount of time spent + that the techinical left. So also, if you have it, remember not to worry about this because they have to measure all of your lymph nodes, and they will spend time in certain areas and this isn't a bad thing.

Anyway, my scan came back and I had to see an ENT. I finally stopped playing with it, and by the time I saw him the node was much smaller. He said (and he is a top cancer doctor) that cancer always gets bigger. Never smaller. We did another scan, and closed the book on it. I left it at that.

Bottom line... seeing the Dr was very stressful. And waiting for the exam and the results was terrible. I hated it, and we all do which is why we are here. But... after the results I was able to move on and had that stress lifted. If I didn't do it, I would have spent months more worrying.

What is better... 6 months of worrying at a 75% intensity, or 3 weeks or so at 90%, but then being ok and moving on?

And I am sure you are ok. Your symptoms sound like an infection... or a virus. And it is normal for nodes to swell in those cases. If you had lymphoma it would be more obvious. The node would prob grow quickly, you would be losing tons of weight, etc...

almamatters
01-11-12, 16:52
Hi Robin,my nodes behind ear have been same size for a few moths but they really hurt?? Far to worried to have ultrasound on them. already have to have lipoma scanned next week and I'm freaking out

robin321
01-11-12, 17:02
Are you having an ultrasound for the lipoma? Maybe you can ask them to do the nodes to? I know it is stressful, but I am also sure you are ok and it will put your mind at ease after.

almamatters
01-11-12, 17:06
You are right I will see if I am brave enough to ask them to do the nodes as well. I am having the lipoma done as am having a lot of pain collar bone area next to it. Think I will literally faint if anything bad shows up!!!

justina
01-11-12, 17:27
I haven't had a CBC since earlier in the year before I had a laporoscopy and they never said anything was wrong but was quite a while ago. I hate having blood tests well waiting for results, I have had slightly elevated WBC in the past and questioned lymphoma or leukaemia then but doctor seems to think alot of the results would be more then just a little out......

Yes they would definitely be more than just a little out. My son had a blood disease a couple of years ago, with platelets completely out of count (around 10 instead of 150-300), the doctors suspected a lymphoma but luckily it was a benign autoimmune thing. He also has neutropenia, but just a slight one, around 1,5-1,8 instead of 2-8, and that doesn't make teh doctors worry at all.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

I really appreciate all of you answering and commenting on this post.
It helps a lot just to talk about it. Thank you!

almamatters
01-11-12, 17:30
you are welcome :)

lo89
01-11-12, 17:30
Alma no my groin node doesn't hurt at all! I wouldn't know it was there had I not been prodding, pulling, grabbing and examining my groin constantly. I have very possibly always had it! I feel that the insides of my thighs are swollen but I am probably just getting a bit chubby!
I eventually manage to convince myself that I don't have lymphoma and then convince myself that I have some other form of cancer. At least lymphoma has a very good survival rate!

almamatters
01-11-12, 17:39
Mine hurts but like you i have prodding and pulling it so perhaps that is why! I am really trying hard not to look for others, as I know I will probably find them.

lo89
01-11-12, 17:44
I have just had so many vague symptoms all over my body I find it impossible to believe that my anxiety is causing them, especially since I am not an anxious person in general, it only relates to my health.
I have also got a really sore jaw which I cannot open more than 3cm, apparently you should be able yo open it by 5cm so I am convinced there is a tumour keeping it shut which has spread from a mole I have on my scalp near my hairline above my ear!

justina
01-11-12, 17:51
I have just had so many vague symptoms all over my body I find it impossible to believe that my anxiety is causing them, especially since I am not an anxious person in general, it only relates to my health.
I have also got a really sore jaw which I cannot open more than 3cm, apparently you should be able yo open it by 5cm so I am convinced there is a tumour keeping it shut which has spread from a mole I have on my scalp near my hairline above my ear!

This does not sound very logical. Melanomas usually do not spread that way.
My biggest worry is the itching. When you read about lymphoma, itching is often the first symptom.

almamatters
01-11-12, 17:53
This is my problem I have so many different symptoms. All unrelated according to GP. Have a cough, pain behind knee, pain below rib, you get the idea. The lymph nodes just add to the problem.

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

I was itching really bad in July so I am really worried I have had it for at least 3 months

justina
01-11-12, 17:56
This is my problem I have so many different symptoms. All unrelated according to GP. Have a cough, pain behind knee, pain below rib, you get the idea. The lymph nodes just add to the problem.

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

I was itching really bad in July so I am really worried I have had it for at least 3 months

this sounds like me, cough, itching and lymph node. I also had pain below (right) rib but it stopped when I got my liver tests back and they were ok, so I stopped worrying...

almamatters
01-11-12, 18:03
Pain is below left rib which I thought was my spleen but apparently it looked fine on the ultrasound. Get random pain right rib which I always assume is liver, but my liver function test was fine. Problem is my HA is that bad now I am starting to question the tests!!

kirstynic
01-11-12, 18:05
[QUOTE=almamatters;1066223]This is my problem I have so many different symptoms. All unrelated according to GP. Have a cough, pain behind knee, pain below rib, you get the idea. The lymph nodes just add to the problem.[COLOR="blue"]

I can relate to this I specially the rib and only one side. I also get a lot of bone pain so that make me worse :(

almamatters
01-11-12, 18:07
ME TOO!! hence the advanced cancer diagnoses I have given myself. :weep:

kirstynic
01-11-12, 18:35
Oh and I also have a bad left shoulder which is another symptom of when you have an enlarged spleen :(((

almamatters
01-11-12, 18:37
OMG me too hence why I am having the ultrasound scan. Now I am worried. Did you say you had got your blood test results?

kirstynic
01-11-12, 18:41
If your ultrasound was fine you have no worries with your spleen. Not had a fbc for a few months probably earlier in the year and that was before a laporoscopy, never got the result but assumed they were ok :-/

Lanesra
01-11-12, 21:05
Hello everyone,

I have also been worrying about Lymphoma although am starting to feel a bit silly after reading this as have no enlarged lymph nodes that I can feel.

I have had problems with UTI's in the past and have had a lot of lower back and kidney pain when I have had one. I hadn't had one since last December but then the pains started again last Friday so I went to the nurse with a urine sample which turned out to be completely clear. I have no idea how this can be as the pains are identical to when I had the UTIs. The nurse seemed to think it may be muscular and recommended painkillers but I just know it's not muscular!
Also in addition I am experiencing sore aches and pains in my arms and legs which I have never had before which I know can be a symptom of Leukaemia and NH Lymphoma, when I read this online I had what I would describe my nearest experience of a panic-attack and got very hot and light-headed and had to remove my clothes and lie down.
I had a kidney ultrasound last year and they found no kidney stones so it's unlikely my back pains are because of that.
I tried to make an appointment with the doctor today but the surgery aren't taking any appointments until next Weds as they are changing their systems so that's another few days I have to keep worrying! :-(
I had a blood test last year which showed high WBC and sedimentation levels but later found that this was because I had a UTI. I had another one after that which came back fine so I keep wondering if I had one of the above diseases, would the blood test last December have picked something up or is this too long ago to tell?

almamatters
02-11-12, 11:09
Hi not sure about blood tests as mine all come back fine, yet I still feel ill constantly. I was going to ask is feeling dizzy and lightheaded another symptom as feel like this all the time ! I have asked about leukemia (spelling) as I bruise very easy, but the GP said this would almost certainly show in a full blood count test. Does not stop me thinking I have this as well though.

justina
02-11-12, 14:38
Hi not sure about blood tests as mine all come back fine, yet I still feel ill constantly. I was going to ask is feeling dizzy and lightheaded another symptom as feel like this all the time ! I have asked about leukemia (spelling) as I bruise very easy, but the GP said this would almost certainly show in a full blood count test. Does not stop me thinking I have this as well though.

No, leukemi is easily detected, a normal blood count excludes leukemia, I know this because my son had suspected leukemia (big bruises in strange places) but the blood tests showed that it was not leukemia.

almamatters
02-11-12, 14:56
Really. Im slightly reassured then. Thanks