PDA

View Full Version : Are you able to admit to anxiety? or would admitting to it make it real?

Tessar
01-11-12, 15:34
It may seem like an odd question to ask on an anxiety forum but I am interested to know "ARE YOU FREELY ABLE TO ADMIT TO FEELINGS OF ANXIETY?" (to others - especially trusted others)

OR is it more a case of "NO, BECAUSE WERE I TO ADMIT TO FEELING ANXIOUS THAT WOULD MAKE IT REAL". Or maybe you have a different viewpoint entirely?

In some situations, due to a phobia, I experience a strong need to escape. I feel intense anxiety & I can admit freely to this. I think that's because I know others have the same phobia & feel equally fearful. So that makes it ok. I can admit to that.

It's more the DAY TO DAY STUFF that I'm thinking of here, e.g. getting anxious because I fear rejection when trying to talk to a colleague/friend on a personal note / fear of being laughed at if I say something stupid / worrying I cant do my job adequately because "things" get in the way / unable to accept compliments because they dont apply to me....

Admitting these situations make me anxious isnt easy. I've only started to think about this because my counsellor asked me "do you get anxious". Instead of just saying "yes" (which seems ridiculously easy) I blurted out something stupid like "I prefer not to call it that". I dont even know why her question has gone round & round in my head. After all, I talk freely with her about other stuff but as a past master at hiding my feelings deep inside,maybe I just didnt want to label myself anxious.

I realise that what I probably do is keep anxiety at bay by denying the feelings. That way I am always one step ahead of it. Perhaps this is OK providing I carry on identifying what made me feel anxious in the first place and then I go on to work on that issue. But really, denying the feelings is not ok as it does not help solve the issue.

I'm just curious to know whether other people are able to admit to anxiety freely or if perhaps others struggle with identifying feelings, emotions etc but in paricular anxiety?

Tyke
01-11-12, 16:21
Interesting question. I personally do admit to it with people close to me. they know I'm anxious and it just helps me to be myself by being straight. I'm more wary of those I don't know so well, but over the years I have come to believe that a great many people have anxiety to some degree but are just able to bluff their way through life without flagging it up as a major problem. We may be on the more extreme end of the anxiety spectrum, but I am more relaxed about that than I used to be. I'd rather be anxious than cold and insensitive!

Tyke :)

almamatters
01-11-12, 17:12
I was diagnosed with GAD ten years ago and do not like admitting it even to close family members. If the GP or medical professional mentions it I get quite defensive . Although my family know only too well I have GAD, like I say I am still in denial. I can admit it to myself though and people on this forum so I suppose that counts for something.

tonkaboy
01-11-12, 19:17
I don't broadcast the fact but a couple of months ago, I did sit my work colleagues down and tell them as my hours are a bit erratic at the moment. My closest friends know and they've been very supportive.

It's very real to me but I do feel a bit ashamed at times as I'm a 46 year old bloke and feel like I should be able to deal with this.

Like a lot of suffers, I'm very sensitive and caring - anything else and I wouldn't be me.

Today has been a tough one but I always cling on the the hope that tomorrow will be better.

Tessar
03-11-12, 08:41
Thank you for the feedback peoples. It's all helpful. Any one else?

Elle-Kay
03-11-12, 10:24
I know what you mean. People close to me (parents, sister, husband) have known that I have anxiety generally for as long as I've had it, and just recently I started a blog to "come clean" with other friends about having it generally, but like you suggested I find it very hard to admit to it during an actual anxiety/panic attack, because somehow saying it aloud confirms that it's there, and makes it appear more real and/or makes it seem worse, and harder to deal with.

I'm trying to work on this, because it's one of my "safety" behaviours -- I fear admitting to the anxiety during an attack, so convince myself I'll only be safe if I don't, which guarantees that if I do so I'll feel more anxious because I've set myself up to feel that way.