PDA

View Full Version : Scared waiting for ENT appointment

jumpwomble
02-11-12, 10:27
I posted earlier about being anxious about otitis externa - an external ear infection that my GP diagnosed me with a week ago after removing some impacted ear wax from my left ear.

Well, the week's worth of antibiotic eardrops did not clear up the infection sufficiently; I experienced relief while using the eardrops but a day after I stopped, I started getting (milder) symptoms again - the same low humming, the partial loss of hearing. Although I do get very occasional stabs of sharp pain in my ear, they are very fleeting and so pain is not a major symptom AT ALL. I have them and then forget about them soon after. For some reason, this is making me question the GP's diagnosis of otitis externa, since so many people tell me it's painful... even though tinnitus/hearing loss are also common symptoms of otitis externa.

I contacted my GP and he said it was best to refer me to an ENT because otitis externa could be "tricky", and ENTs have better instruments etc. and they can do a microsuction on the ear, etc. which will help clean it of further wax and infection debris. This is a private ENT as I said I had too much anxiety to go on a NHS waiting list!!! So it's going to cost... but I'd pay anything for some peace of mind at the moment. :weep:

The earliest appointment I could get is next Tuesday - somehow I'm going to have to get over the weekend feeling terrified that the ENT is going to tell me nothing is wrong with my ears and he can't figure out why I had those symptoms all along. My hearing improved yesterday actually, but then I had quite loud tinnitus that, coupled with my sky-high anxiety, prevented me from falling asleep last night.

I don't know why I keep anticipating the worst, i.e the ENT saying he can't see anything wrong with me and I'll just have to "live with it", even though this goes against rational thinking... my mind seems to keep going back to this scenario, like it's obsessed or something. :scared15:

jumpy

almamatters
02-11-12, 12:49
Hi sorry just a question, did you self refer to go private or did you need GP referral? Hope you are ok and try not to stress to much about your appointment. I have a ultrasound for a lipoma next week and know how horrible the waiting is. In fact I am terrified. :scared15:

jumpwomble
02-11-12, 12:59
I needed a GP referral to go private to this consultant (although I believe some private clinics do accept self-referrals too). I've seen him before, 4 years ago, and he was frankly quite dismissive... I guess he did not know how to handle anxious patients like me! I also went in with a vague complaint (tinnitus) that actually turned out not to be specifically ear-related (it was down to the tension in my neck and jaw muscles) - and he just told me my ears were fine and that was that. I was really so upset he couldn't do anything to help me that I was trembling like a leaf in his office... (blush). I am just embarrassed about that now and hope he won't remember. I had hoped never to see him again, but he seems to be the ENT consultant of choice for my GP... so... :(

meche
02-11-12, 13:38
Waiting is the worst. I have an ultrascan on Tuesday. On one hand I'm content that it was a non-urgent appointment but on the other hand I just want it over and done. I think it's fear of the unknown. My doctor has told me not to be concerned but there is always that niggly 'what if' doubt. xx

jumpwomble
02-11-12, 16:37
Meche, sorry I am new here...what are you having the ultrasound for?

I guess we are going on the same day, my appt is at 1:30pm. Let us send each other good vibes, and keep everyone posted! Waiting is indeed horrible, the mind just goes into overdrive no matter what our rational selves tell us.

Jumpy