PDA

View Full Version : Hello, finally joined!

AnxiousBaker
02-11-12, 18:18
Hello everyone. After coming onto this forum for a while and reading the posts and information and my doctor mentioning the site, i decided it would be good for me to join.
I am from North Yorkshire, near to Harrogate...anybody else around these parts? Since i was about 20 (i am now 30) i have suffered from anxiety, mainly social and the mild/moderate depression that can go along with it. I was first put on a course of Fluoxetine with Diazepam as and when i needed it and had some talk therapy. This did the job perfectly and it gave me time to get my head around things and get to grips with what im dealing with. For the years up to my 30th birthday i have managed to deal with my condition. I have a good job and to most people you wouldn't know i suffer anxiety but there is still a massive hole in my life. This is the social side, even though i can take a Diazepam if needed and go out etc, it is still hard to overcome the initial thoughts of going out and meeting people. So whilst at work i feel comfortable, when work finishes i find it difficult..its almost like i don`t want to go out and meet people. I do like my time alone, don`t we all? But i need to get over this social anxiety. It makes it difficult to form relationships for a start.

So anyway, i recently went back to my GP after starting to slowly slip back into my old ways ( irritable, depressed, anxious in safe situations etc ) and asked to try Fluoxetine for a short time, to break the cycle again. This time the side effects were so bad i ended up in A&E! The complete opposite to what happened a few years ago! Has the recipe changed?:)
So at the moment im just awaiting my new GP appointment and i shall go back and see if i can try something new.

I hope i haven`t bored anybody! I joined to give my advise to others who are new to this social anxiety condition and get their advise too...share experiences. We all know how hard it can be to tell non sufferers! Hopefully along the way new friends will be made, they are in short supply as it is.

Pleased to meet you all! Any questions just ask.

fozzy is crying
02-11-12, 18:22
:welcome:
:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

jumpwomble
02-11-12, 18:24
Your GP mentioned this site? How very cool. Welcome. :)

MRS STRESS ED
02-11-12, 18:25
:welcome: to nmp lots of help and support here xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nomorepanic
02-11-12, 18:28
Hi AnxiousBaker

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

BobbyDog
02-11-12, 18:52
I am from Wakefield, so not too far away from you.
I can relate to the social anxiety, it is one of my main problems, but I am taking positive steps to overcome it.:D

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Perhaps it is too short notice, but we are having a meet-up in Leeds tomorrow, it would be great if you could come and join us. if not tomorrow the next one will be at the beginning of December.:yesyes:

AnxiousBaker
02-11-12, 19:26
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Hi BobbyDog, good old Wakey! Hope your steps to overcome the social anxiety are coming along well! It can be done, it is possible to be that one step ahead of your mind, trust me!:)

I like the idea of a meet, a challenge though, but one id really like to do. Its just a matter of having a meet up fall on a day off work. Do you guys meet up on a regular basis in Leeds?