PDA

View Full Version : interesting and possibly reassuring for lymph node worriers

lo89
02-11-12, 21:22
Hi, I have noticed a few people saying that they can feel lymph nodes recently, yet obviously none of us are properly medically trained and chances are it may not even be lymph nodes we are feeling, and even if it is, they are probably normal.
Anyway, I decided to research how to check them properly and apparently for all bar the collarbone and armpit, a flat hand is the beat way to feel. Using this method, my groin nodes cannot be felt, nor can my jaw ones, so im guessing they are normal?
Armpit and collarbone seem more difficult to feel properly, but I k ow people are obsessing over them and personally I was poking around and finding bumps, when actually a gentle rub is enough to feel anything of concern!

almamatters
02-11-12, 22:17
Thanks for the info and that is quite reassuring, but I can't forget my ones behind ear as they hurt? :weep:

lo89
03-11-12, 00:22
I really don't have an answer, but my doctor and a few websites I have checked have all said generally sore nodes are fighting an infection. I'm not sure if this is always the case or just a generalisation.
From personal experience, about 6 weeks ago my neck was really sore, stiff and tender. I felt fine otherwise. I rubbed the area that was sore and found huge - they actually were slightly visible- lumps under my jaw on my neck. They were tender to touch, I panicked as I didn't have any symptoms of infection or a virus at all. After about a week of stress, I came down with a horrible cold/flu, my lymph nodes in my upper neck were all huge and tender. They were also what I would class as hard and immobile, so I was actually relieved to become unwell! (until I began to think that I was ill because my immune system was weak from the cancer)
My neck is still slightly tender now, but the lymph nodes have softened and are much smaller now - I can still feel them quite clearly but I do have a really skinny neck so maybe they are always like that?
All I can really say is my nodes hurt, were swollen, felt hard and immobile to me, I was super worried, then as ny cold eased so did the swelling (though the big nodes stayed for a good few weeks after the cold before they shrunk at all, and even now they aee still up slightly!)
:hugs:Try not to worry. I know how difficult it is to rationalise things! It is most likely nothing, and if it something, it is unlikely to be anything serious. I know that will probably not help as it wouldn't help me when I am feeling anxious, but I am finally beginning to get my life back a little bit now! You will too. X