PDA

View Full Version : Hi new member mom w/ panic and dp/dr

monabr
08-06-04, 04:48
Hi
im 28 years old w/ panic disorder. my main and scariest symptom is the feelings of dp/dr (depersonalization and derealization) or feelings of unreality. my little boy is 2 1/2 and i want to get better for him. my one and only phobia is driving, which is very depressing !!! i'd love to talk to anyone who understands !
thanks for reading !:)

kate
08-06-04, 08:47
Hiya and welcome to the site!

I also suffer with depersonalisation, which affects me constantly. Scarey feeling isn't it?

There are several posts on here regarding problems with driving.

Enter "driving" into the search facility at the top of the page and you will see that quite a few people have the same fears.

Nicola, who set up this site, is just one.

Look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Kate x

Meg
08-06-04, 13:11
Hi Monabr,

Fear whilst driving is one of the commonest and many of us have been there. I had my first 2 panic attacks whilst 200 miles away from home and dp and dr set in.

I was terrified but made it home somehow.

Fear of driving followed shortly afterwards and took some time to get over.

Do tell us about your situation .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

seh1980
08-06-04, 15:38
Hi there!!!
Welcome to the site! It sounds like you are having a difficult time, especially as you have a child to look out for. I am also scared of driving and haven't done so for about 2 years. I just don't trust myself behind the wheel. I am slowly getting my confidence back though.
I'm sure you will find this site as useful as I have.
Take care.
Sarah (seh1980)

nomorepanic
08-06-04, 18:25
Hi Monabr

Welcome to the site.

As Kate said, my biggest problem is driving and has been throughout my panic. I don't know if you read my story on the website (www.nomorepanic.co.uk/mystory.htm). You may be able to relate to a lot of things in there.

With regard to driving - are you able to drive or do you just not go in the car atall.

There are some excellent coping techniques on my site - http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/coping.htm Look for the section on driving.

I also suffered from dp/dr for many years - that horrid feeling of not being there etc.

I hope you get some help here and some answers to all your queries.

Welcome aboard.

Nicola

monabr
09-06-04, 05:13
Hi everyone thanks for posting !
i just hate the dp/dr and it gets so intense when i drive even if i just drive one mile away i feel so "out of it"
im 28 and this has been going on for 4 years, i take zoloft and it does help, but just not w/ the driving.
i REALLY want to drive, esp for my son, i cant even drive him anywhere at all it so depressing !!!
i know the feelings cant hurt you or make you go crazy but they are so real and scary at the time, i feel like a scared little girl, instead of an adult.
im so glad i found this forum, you all sound so nice,
i need all of your encourgement, it is greatly appreciated!
mailto: monicareid@charter.net

Meg
10-06-04, 16:49
So now you know you are not alone what are you doing to address this ?

Meg

nomorepanic
10-06-04, 19:09
Monabr

The best way to get over the driving is exposure. Go out each night for a short drive and keep on doing it every night. Just go round the block once and back home. You will soon start to realise that no harm can come to you and the further you go out each day, the more confidence you will build up.

Yes you will feel "out of it" - I had many many years of panicking whilst driving and am still not completely cured but I am determined not to let it beat me. You can always stop for 5 minutes then drive on.

Get some Rescue Remedy, out some drops in some water and take that with you. Sip it liberally and it will ease the symptoms.

There is no miracle cure for panic/anxiety whilst driving I am afraid. The only person that can cure it is you and the only way you will is by doing it over and over again.

Be strong and go try it. You will not die from panic/anxiety so just tell it to "sod off" and let you get on with your life.

Let us know how it goes.

Nicola

monabr
10-06-04, 19:51
But im so scared that i feel "totally zone" out or something i feel so panicky just thinking about it makes me feel "depersonalized"
i HATE this, im so scared that i wont be able to do this and i will be the worst mother on the planet !
i mean i have scary thoughts like what if i forget where im going, where im at, etc etc etc, even thought that has Never happened before im so scared that if i drive and i feel that way (unreal)
that i will totally space out, did you guys really feel this way too ? :(

nomorepanic
10-06-04, 20:14
Oh yes I understand - I always felt spaced out, shaky, dizzy, seeing double, terrified or being stuck.

What made me go on - cos I had to drive to work - I had to work cos I needed the money. It is surprising what you can do if you have to do it.

Most of the scary things will never happen trust me. The thoughts are worse than the actions.

Can you not even try it - you will never know unless you do.

Just try sitting in the car, then starting it then reversing off the drive then back on again.

It will be hard work but it won't kill you and if you REALLY REALLY want to drive then trust me you will find a way of overcoming it.

Just take it one day at a time but please try to do something everyday to get nearer to your goal. Think of the all freedom you will get when you can drive again?

Are you ok as a passenger? Can someone come with you just to ease the stress?

Nicola

karrie
05-04-06, 06:31
I also get that bubble feeling. People can be talking right at me and I know they are talking to me and I can not understand a word that is coming out of their mouth. My friends always now that when I get that spaced out look and my leg starts shaking that I am having an attack. They are good about asking if there is anything they can do, or just start trying to engage me in an activity. Not all the people I know are as good. The ones that tell me to just stop, annoy me. As if they think I wouldn't if I could. The one thing that I have done for me is never hid the fact that I have them, and to educate people about them. Talking defused them for me. It helps me to see that it is only a panic attack and that I will be alright. I would be happy to talk to you if you need a understanding ear.

chucklehound
05-04-06, 08:23
Hi Monabr and welcome to NMP!

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

tessie
25-04-06, 19:33
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">But im so scared that i feel "totally zone" out or something i feel so panicky just thinking about it makes me feel "depersonalized"
i HATE this, im so scared that i wont be able to do this and i will be the worst mother on the planet !
i mean i have scary thoughts like what if i forget where im going, where im at, etc etc etc, even thought that has Never happened before im so scared that if i drive and i feel that way (unreal)
that i will totally space out, did you guys really feel this way too ? :(

<div align="right">Originally posted by monabr - 10 June 2004 : 20:51:45</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

bernadette
17-11-06, 12:52
hi am bernadette yes i have that problem when driving i really need to go to the shops so i am going to try each night to do it the more times you do it the better take care xxxx

Lindalou64
17-11-06, 14:15
hello monbar and welcome i can relate to what ya saying it sucks having this even worse when we have little ones.....i got it 1 month after my youngest son was born so i was 25......i have probs driving myself some days are better than others but it is very scary when ya going thru it when ya driving...as ya said u already know it wont hurt you so try and blast the tunes have a cell??? that always helps me...one day it will pass but dont let it beat you i didnt know what was wrong with me for yrs so i ended up agraphobia....but im gettin alot better alot and you will too....i am here to talk anytime just leave me a pm i see your an american too yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol jk guys lol.....i wish you all the best tc Linda[8D]

sar_uk
05-02-07, 18:04
Hi everyone, i realise this thread has been going for years but really had to post something. This whole anxiety / panic thing is completely new for me and the worst part of it is this feeling of detachment. I think it scares me the most because its so unnerving feeling almost unreal, i begin to panic that it means im going crazy because im so detached from the world and perhaps this means im losing my grip of reality, and while i can control the other symptoms of my anxiety with beta blockers i find this horrible fuzzy feeling wont go away. I wake up every morning with the thougbht 'has it gone yet?' and of course by worrying about it - it doesnt and i begin to panic it may never go away. I'm only 21 so my friends cant really understand and its made worse when they're all celebrating exams or a birthday and i know i SHOULD be happy too but i just cant shake off this feeling - which makes me worry i may never experience happiness again which is a really scary and lonely thought- especially as im usually such a happy and optimistic person - to lose all my hope and see the future as nothing but an unreal and unsatisfying landscape is terrifying. I too have had the 'what is all about?' thoughts and 'why bother? if im just going to end up feeling like this constantly, maybe get a 9 to 5 day and spend my days looking for something i think i miss' Its horrible to go from loving and appreciating life to such a pessimistic and despairing view. From reading past threads i know it can pass - as i write this i am comforted to know i am NOT going crazy, losing my hold on reality or hope. My thoughts and anxieties seem to have built a wall around my reality, but with determination and strength of mind - i believe i can fight this- i HAVE to!! Although i feel like i've lost my sense of identity now i know from reading these posts it is just a sympton of stress and like all symptons will pass! In a way reading these posts ; the reassurance they give, the support, the understanding and the hope they offer makes me realise THIS is what life is about!! I just hope i remember this for my next attack - if anyone would like to contact me dont hesitate: ega04sjt@shef.ac.uk :)

nomorepanic
05-02-07, 18:13
Hi Sar

Just wanted to welcome you aboard and lovely to see you here.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

feels_like_home
05-02-07, 18:36
Hi,
I completely understand how you are feeling. This feeling is horrible and can make you think you are going crazy. I have had it on and off for a while. At one point it was constant. I find for me the best way to get rid of it is to distract myself. I try to keep myself busy. I am a new teacher and often don't have time to think about it, which has helped a great deal. I unfortunately have just dislocated my knee and am off for a few weeks. Now I once again have too much time on my hands. The feelings have come back a bit, but I am just trying not to think about it too much. I know how hard that can be. It will get better. Just wanted you to know you are not alone. If you ever want to talk I am here.
Take care,
Michelle

breeeezie322
03-04-07, 04:40
wow i had to look twice to see whether i had written this or not. my story is almost identical. i have GREAT difficulty with panic and driving to the point where i have given up totally about six months the first time and then recently for 2 weeks and now i am trying to get back into it. Just the thought of driving scares the hell out of me. You described how i feel perfectly i also have a 2 1/2 year old and also a 91/2 year old that wonders why i can drive sometimes and why i cry so much (it sucks) sorry but it does. desi

Rach**81
03-04-07, 10:34
Hi Monbar,

i am also a new person here, just wanted to wish you a warm welcome

i have found the people to be very welcoming and supportive :)

SANDYJANE
03-04-07, 11:59
just saying hi to all the new members and a big welcome

love sandy xx

Rach**81
05-04-07, 15:51
:flowers: :welcome: :foot: <<< Hi again you will notice the foot in the mouth thing here... cos i realised i had spelled your name wrong sorry Monabr , welcome

Pink Princess
09-04-07, 00:35
hey welcome to the site, hope to see you soon xx

enchanted
29-09-11, 21:52
Monabr

The best way to get over the driving is exposure. Go out each night for a short drive and keep on doing it every night. Just go round the block once and back home. You will soon start to realise that no harm can come to you and the further you go out each day, the more confidence you will build up.

Yes you will feel "out of it" - I had many many years of panicking whilst driving and am still not completely cured but I am determined not to let it beat me. You can always stop for 5 minutes then drive on.

Get some Rescue Remedy, out some drops in some water and take that with you. Sip it liberally and it will ease the symptoms.

There is no miracle cure for panic/anxiety whilst driving I am afraid. The only person that can cure it is you and the only way you will is by doing it over and over again.

Be strong and go try it. You will not die from panic/anxiety so just tell it to "sod off" and let you get on with your life.

Let us know how it goes.

Nicola

Hi Nicola,
I have to say I am finding it difficult to follow this site - advice welcome.
The only panic attacks I have ever had are whilst driving - my first post was tonight - PANIC WHILST DRIVING - no idea how you will find it.
I visited this site last night for the first time in utter desperation following a couple of months of terrifying driving due to panic. Life is so shit when I am in one of my spells of panic. Usually I just take the long 'safe route' to work etc for a few months, until I regain my confidence and get back on the direct road. After browsing your suggestions and following a few of your tips, the drive to work on the 'safe route' was remarkably better. I was praising myself every inch of the way and it did seem to have a positive effect - in spite of my brain interrupting with 'the next car... you will run into''. Big problem is, as I'm sure you know, is when you are 'under seize' there appears to be no way out. Lest we forget that we have been here before but it's a gripping feeling and all the energy we have goes into fighting the fire. In the grand scheme of things it's a minor illness (I work in a chemo unit) but man alive, is it debilitating. Following your experience, with best wishes and a big thank you.