PDA

View Full Version : up all night ... sudafed?

swgrl09
06-11-12, 14:45
I am fighting a cold and the stuffy nose has been bothering me alot. I have been using Afrin, but it does not last long and you cannot use it for more than three days. So last night I took a 12 hour sudafed and was up ALL NIGHT anxious, racy heart, etc. I don't have high blood pressure or any heart problems. Is this a normal reaction to it?

Elle-Kay
06-11-12, 14:55
I have only ever taken the decongestant only Sudafed, but know that there are other versions with additional ingredients like caffeine in also. Was it one of these you took? If so, the caffeine (or other stimulant) could explain your symptoms certainly.

fozzy is crying
06-11-12, 14:57
If you are going to try one of the Sudafed products check the active ingredients.

Personally I would not use one that contained caffeine as I would not take any medication that includes caffeine. The day time capsules for example have caffeine in them but I believe the night time ones do not.

Gordon

swgrl09
06-11-12, 14:58
It didn't say it had caffiene in either the active or inactive ingrediants ... just a blurb about not using it if you have a heart condition.

fozzy is crying
06-11-12, 15:00
It didn't say it had caffiene in either the active or inactive ingrediants ... just a blurb about not using it if you have a heart condition.

Exactly which of their products is it. Heart condition warning is often givers with drugs containing caffeine.

Gordon

swgrl09
06-11-12, 15:05
Sudafed 12 hour extended release

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

well the generic store brand of that ... the ingredient lists were the same.

fozzy is crying
06-11-12, 15:19
Sudafed 12 hour extended release

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

well the generic store brand of that ... the ingredient lists were the same.

OK that one is fine but when you are using it there can be side effects if you have any caffeine intake either from other medications with caffeine in them or food and drinks containing caffeine. You should certainly avoid drinks with caffeine in them or use them sparingly.

Hope that helps.

Gordon

swgrl09
06-11-12, 15:37
Ok, thank you! I'm not sure, there is caffiene in so much lately it is possible something else I am on or had last night could have.

Annie0904
06-11-12, 16:48
Are you taking ant AD's? I have been told not to take sudafed with Tricylic antidepressants.

swgrl09
06-11-12, 17:00
i'm on an SSRI, not tricyclic.