PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever been to a councilor about their health anxiety? and did it help you?

little.miss.worry
07-11-12, 17:00
Hello :) I was just wondering has anyone else been to a councilor about their health anxiety? and did it help you in any way? because, ive been to a councillor and had about 8 sessions (1 a month) so ever a period of 8 months...by the end of it I was anxiety free :) and then 8 months later...it came back :( anyways im starting to go again at the end of this month and hopefully this time it will be gone for good...im sick to death of having symptoms and not knowing if they're real or not...I just want to live a normal happy life :(

Ric77767
07-11-12, 17:24
Yes I go now for it. Been about 12 times ,keep worrying everyday about chest pain I keep getting !!

ricardo
07-11-12, 17:36
It didn't work for me but mainly because I didn't relate to the councillor ( a clinical pyschologist) and she didn't grasp my situation. I knew after two sessions that everything she said to me was obvious, as if she had read it from a book. in total i went 5 times in 5 weeks, but to be fair the choice over here is limited.

cattia
07-11-12, 20:23
I had counselling about six years ago and yes it did help at the time, but I have relapsed since then. I have been having CBT but it's by telephone and I find the therapist flakey, also because it's by phone I find it very impersonal and I missed my last appointment and haven't made another one yet. I wish I had the cash to go for psychotherapy. I think that's what I need and would really help me tackle the root problem. It's too coaetly now though. Maybe one day I will be able to afford it.

little.miss.worry
08-11-12, 18:15
Thankyou for all the replies! :D alot of people seem to have a relapse, but I suppose that's normal because anything can set it off again and I hope you can all concur your anxiety :)
@ Ric77767 the chest pains will only be anxiety! I get horrible chest pain all the time because of it :/
@Ricardo I hope you will be able to get more choice soon :)
@Cattia like I said before I think everyone will have a relapse...it sucks that, that happens :( and I really hope you can have psychotherapy soon! Remember to stay positive! :D

Worrywart78
08-11-12, 18:23
Hi there, I've had anxiety for 15 years but have never seen a COunceller, what do they do in a session?

ricardo
08-11-12, 18:41
Thankyou for all the replies! :D alot of people seem to have a relapse, but I suppose that's normal because anything can set it off again and I hope you can all concur your anxiety :)
@ Ric77767 the chest pains will only be anxiety! I get horrible chest pain all the time because of it :/
@Ricardo I hope you will be able to get more choice soon :)
@Cattia like I said before I think everyone will have a relapse...it sucks that, that happens :( and I really hope you can have psychotherapy soon! Remember to stay positive! :D

my biggest problem is that my mind keeps drifting when they talk to me.

little.miss.worry
08-11-12, 19:37
Well you should stay focus them :) and just tell them every single problem..im sure they will understand and try to find the root of your problem :)

Whippy
08-11-12, 22:01
I saw a councilor for 5 weeks, but it made no difference. I now receive help from a charity who help people with anxiety and try to get them back into employment if required.

little.miss.worry
09-11-12, 19:40
oohh that's really good whippy! I hope it all goes well for you :) good luck!

Whippy
09-11-12, 21:25
Thanks. The anxiety side of things is not going to well at the moment, but I may now finally have a job.

little.miss.worry
09-11-12, 22:16
Aw well done! I bet you're pleased :D but im sure you will be able to handle your anxiety :) just keep working on it :)

Ric77767
13-11-12, 17:57
Yeah that's what I keep telling myself although its hard to belive !!