PDA

View Full Version : Fluoxetine problems after 3 years

lala53
07-11-12, 18:56
This is my story. I hope it helps someone else. I had been on anti-depressants for 8 years for panic disorder/anxiety. 4 years ago I switched to Prozac (generic form). The first 3 years I tolerated it well, with some occasional indigestion after taking it. I begin to be severely nauseated and thought that I had a virus that was going around. After a few weeks I was still nauseous and had a complete loss of appetite. I went to see my doc and he treated me for gastritis. This went on and off for 10 months, with severe abdominal pain in the upper stomach that was only relieved by taking Hydrocodone. After many tests it was determined that my gall bladder was not functioning and so out it came. I did well for the next year, I did NOT take the Prozac at all that year. Later, I decided to go back on it and I took it for only four days. The fifth day I was back in the ER with severe abdominal pain, dyspepsia and nausea. It never occurred to me that the Prozac was what was making me sick but looking back now I can see all the times that it did. After going a year and then taking it only to be suddenly sick with the same symptoms is just too coincidental. Its been 2 weeks since the ER visit and I am still suffering with gastritis symptoms and it is very painful. I will never, ever take it again. I lost a total of 20 pds during the 10 months I was sick. I don't think my stomach will ever feel the same again. UPDATE: Its taking me 3 weeks but I feel like eating and the pain is finally gone. I am still shocked that I took this medication for years without these major side effects. I guess the body can form sensitivities to anything over time. This really affected my life far worse than the panic and anxiety ever did. Hope my story helps someone else looking for answers.