PDA

View Full Version : melanoma - help

beauty2010
07-11-12, 19:18
Hi everyone.
I posted about this a couple of days ago, but didn't get any replies (sob:))
I am a very neurotic mother who doesn't want to spread their neurosis too far.
However, I sometimes surreptitiously look at my kids skin for moles that might be suspicious
My oldest (18) was over at weekend and I noticed a very small nearly flat brown - black mole on his leg, which I had not noticed before. It was prob only mm or so wide and at first I thought it was a bit of black fluff.
It had a regular oval shape
The only thing that worried me was its colour which was darker than his other moles bar one which is also dark and on his top lip.
Anyway, I would normally just keep a sneaky eye on it to see if it changed, and if it didn't in a couple of months I would forget about it.
Unfortunately, he is away for 6 weeks. I keep imagining it turning into something nasty in the intervening period.
I think I am being a bit OTT and paranoid so I can't tell anyone except all of you.
I can't very well phone him and say - by the way I am worried about a very small mole on your leg. For one, he would think I was mad, and I don't want him to get paranoid like me.
I just wanted to vent and to ask for any advice. Personally I think I have to let it be and have a sneaky check in 6 weeks time. But I will worry for the next six weeks.
I wish I had never heard of MM!
Bxx

Elle-Kay
07-11-12, 19:21
I saw my Dr about a very dark mole on my leg a while ago, and she said that they do naturally vary in colour and depth of colour. She also said that it's really only if it's discoloured and uneven/grows, or discoloured and scabby/weepy that you need to have them check out.

overhead_drums
08-11-12, 12:08
Hi,

I also had a few moles checked a few weeks ago when my anxiety was bad. Answering the questions the nurse asked me agree with Elle-Kay. She asked me if they had changed in shape, itch, weep/bleed and if they are swollen (which she could see they weren't).

I think its really easy to hear about these things and start to worry about the worse case scenario, as i did those few weeks back. I got loads of weird shaped and coloured moles, and after speaking to the doctor and nurse i just keep an eye on them every so often, i assume i would notice if one was itchy, scabby, swollen or weepy.

Hope that helps! :)