PDA

View Full Version : Scared to take Sertraline. Any advice x

little.mess
09-11-12, 19:45
I have been prescribed Sertraline for OCD and low moods, and need some advice.

I'm scared of taking AD's as I have had terrible experiences in the past.

Has anyone got any experiences on this AD?

All my love xxxxx

hellybelly1982
09-11-12, 20:35
Hi little mess,
I was presecribed sertraline for my ocd and found it did help my ocd (checking ocd) but gave me more adrenline which I found gave me more anxiety so i changed back to citalopram. It is supposed to be a very good antidepressent for ocd but didnt work for me but its defiently worth a shot. I know taking anti d's seem like a scary thing but honestly they are brillant tablets and they have saved my life. It's just the same if you you were low in iron and needed to take an iron supplement. You are low in serotonin and need some tablets to get you back on track. Don't be scared hunny xxx good luck xx

Tyke
10-11-12, 00:53
They really helped me but took a while to work with unpleasant side effects for the first four weeks. Theres no way of knowing how good a particular drug is for you without trying it out. Everyone is different and has different experiences. On the whole though it seems to be a safer drug than many others and seems fairly well prescribed by today's GPs who are very aware of the tranquiliser addiction problems of past medicines.

Tyke :)

little.mess
11-11-12, 22:23
Hiya Tyke thanks for replying,

I'm scared that the sertraline will make me feel numb and emotionless, or cause weight gain :(

less panic
11-11-12, 22:36
It made me feel so much better and lost a stone in weight which was a bonus. Positive thinking and keep your chin up, it will get better

Tyke
12-11-12, 03:13
I'm scared that the sertraline will make me feel numb and emotionless, or cause weight gain :(
It never made me feel like that. It helped me return to some kind of normality. As for wait gain, just the opposite. The side effects initially meant I could eat very little and had quite bad diahrhoea. I probably did put some back on when I started feeling better, but I think this was probably because I felt happier and had missed out on good food so much while my stomach was bad. We all react differently though so who knows?

Personally I'm glad I went on it and the discomfort I felt at first was more than made up for with the positive improvements in my wellbeing at the end.

Tyke :)

cappuccinomad
14-11-12, 12:44
They have just put my lustral sertraline up to 200mg,how long does it take to work and can you feel worse before you get better.x

little.mess
16-11-12, 22:51
Thanks for the replies guys! Well done for losing a stone that's great!! Glad your doing well Tyke who can resist good food! :)

I think when you increase your meds things do normally get worse for a few days/weeks, so don't try to panic to much it will get better x