PDA

View Full Version : Just me

alicia123
15-08-06, 15:39
Hi All,[^]

I'm Alicia from Sheffield, England, I'm in my(ahem) 30s and I am six months into recovery from the anxiety and panic attacks I've had for over ten years. Having tried every remedy, drug and 'cure' for anxiety and PAs until I found something that actually worked for me I hope I can give good advice to those still suffering, help a few people and help myself to keep my own recovery going.:D

I also suffered from depression and agoraphobia as the result of the anxiety and know how tough it is to get real help and how hard it is to rely on anything but SSRIs and benzodiazepines when you think it will never end.

It will end.

It does end. Nobody ever went mad or died from anxiety or a panic attack - it just feels like you might. For six months I have had no drugs, no panics and no anxiety except for the normal anxious moments we all have - like when a bus nearly flattened me in the City centre last week! But it passed (as the bus did), and it did not return. It will not return, I am determined about that, but determination is often not enough as we all know otherwise none of use would suffer from these conditions. If we could do it without help we would.

A friend of mine, who I've never met in another forum helped me to find my own way through this, so I hope I can return the favour - what goes around etc.

So, being totally new on this forum I don't know if I can PM or be PM'd but I will always try to help, no matter what the problem is, based on my own experiences and those of two friends who suffered similar problems and who both found their answers, one with the same system as me and the other with CBT and hypnotherapy. I'm not an expert but I have been where many of you are now and it's not a nice place, so if I can help, I will, just ask.[^]

Best wishes,

alicia(or al)xxx

jackie
15-08-06, 16:23
al your post is lovely and yes you can pm or be pmd

i have suffered from health related anxiety for 5 years ( heart fears) and im sure i will die of it so your words are very comforting. it would be nice to feel adn believe it myself. but the symptoms are so bad at times it is hard to see an end to fearing them

thanks and glad you found us

take care

jackie

clickaway
15-08-06, 16:54
Welcome Al,

I've had this for nearly three years and am putting trust in therapy.

I just think so much of this is down to belief.

Thanks for your positive post,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

polly daydream
15-08-06, 17:28
Hi Alicia and welcome to the forum.

Best wishes,
Polly

alicia123
16-08-06, 08:50
Thank you so much Polly, Ray and Jackie for your welcomes!

Jackie, have you had all the cardio tests? One of my friends had a heart murmur from childhood and later GAD, but her tests were all negative for anything life threatening. Made her feel a lot better to know that.

Ray, you are so right. It is about belief, but in my experience it is about subconscious beliefs, old submerged stuff that we are mostly not aware of (it was for me).What sort of therapy are you having? If you PM me I can point you to a free ebook that helped me to understand what was happening and led to my current 'state of freedom', although I am sure you have read a lot on the subject already, as we all do.

alicia

trac67
16-08-06, 11:59
Hi Alicia,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

manmoor
16-08-06, 12:01
Hi Alicia,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandy

xx

Daisybun
16-08-06, 12:02
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

alicia123
16-08-06, 13:48
Thanks Trac, Mandy and Daisybun![:X]

alicia

giddy
16-08-06, 15:25
Welcome to the forum Alicia
love Helen

Mateyface
16-08-06, 16:29
Hi Al

what a wonderful positive message, welcome to the forum.

I have just started some counselling with MIND, not sure if the right place to start but at least its some kind of a start!

Take care
San :) x

Sans

alicia123
16-08-06, 19:48
Thanks Giddy and Sans, good to be here!

I tried counselling about 6 years ago, San, and although it was very useful having someone I could offload onto it didn't actually go anywhere and seemed a bit circular, but this may be just me, and my counsellor was just a little thick[:o)] so it could be brilliant for you, good luck!

alicia
xx

nomorepanic
19-08-06, 16:48
Hi Al

Lovely to see you here and look forward to any advice you can give people to help them recover.

Thanks for stopping by.

Nicola

melvyn
19-08-06, 17:14
Hi alicia I just read your message and like you have suffered panic and anxiety for over 20 years i have been on saroxate for several years and this has helped and aleviated my symptoms but twice I have tried to come off my medication and both times my problems have returned after several weeks I am currently going through a bad time of it and was wondering if you could let me have the address of the free ebook you mentioned. thank you and welcome. Melvyn.

IanB
19-08-06, 22:16
Hi Al

I am also interested in the free ebook. I don't feel that the meds I'm on are helping me and want to get off them as soon as possible. Any advice you can give will be gratefully received. PM me when you can.

Ian

"today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well"

Piglet
19-08-06, 22:34
Welcome to the site :D

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

alicia123
22-08-06, 09:52
Thanks to you all for such a warm welcome! I have sent out a whole bunch of butterfly kisses to you all!

If I am allowed, the web address of the free ebook is www.alphadynamics.com and it is called 'Stress-Dying For No Cause' by John D.Hughes. The page on anxiety is also very good.

I was impressed that unlike other free stuff they do not ask you for your email address so that they can plague you with spam - it is genuinely free. But it is obviously good marketing since I bought the Stress Survival Kit.

Any way I can help, let me know:D

alicia